the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

I looked into Planning For Burial on itunes and youtube.

This youtube is too funny and it reminds me of my youth. Upstairs ( and in the basement ) playing guitar so loud to Live At Leeds... my parents holding their ears and cursing me out.

http://youtu.be/coqjDr6AqZE

Edited by custom55

This youtube is too funny and it reminds me of my youth. Upstairs ( and in the basement ) playing guitar so loud to Live At Leeds... my parents holding their ears and cursing me out.

Most of the newer music I listen to I find by either catching up with my friend at a show and sharing what newer bands we're currently listening to or through following various indie/underground labels who've put out albums I enjoyed and seeing what stuff they're putting out...Planning For Burial's that kind of band. I guess that's one benefit I have of being in my early 20s with an on/off relationship of being in the "underground" scene.

Thom's an interesting fellow...he says PFB's was/is/and always will be a one man band because of a "control and flexibility" thing of not wanting to be the asshole who says "This is MY song and you have to play it this way". In a way, it's so different than the tradition band formula and even different than the one man black metal band, that even if I didn't like the music I'd still have respect for him.

That said, I'm actually seeing him live in two weeks play a record release show for the new album.

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 1

Most of the newer music I listen to I find by either catching up with my friend at a show and sharing what newer bands we're currently listening to or through following various indie/underground labels who've put out albums I enjoyed and seeing what stuff they're putting out...Planning For Burial's that kind of band. I guess that's one benefit I have of being in my early 20s with an on/off relationship of being in the "underground" scene.

Thom's an interesting fellow...he says PFB's was/is/and always will be a one man band because of a "control and flexibility" thing of not wanting to be the asshole who says "This is MY song and you have to play it this way". In a way, it's so different than the tradition band formula and even different than the one man black metal band, that even if I didn't like the music I'd still have respect for him.

That said, I'm actually seeing him live in two weeks play a record release show for the new album.

I downloaded his album off itunes.... Below The House

I downloaded his album off itunes.... Below The House

Yeah that's the new album...and even if its only been a day since its release, I think it's easily his best album so far by a decent margin. Also his heaviest to some degree. Edited by PolarizeMe

I recently came to the realization that the last Opeth show I saw was not the first time I witnessed the band play Demon Of The Fall live. I first saw Opeth in 2013 in Montclair, NJ and at that show they played it as an acoustic number but I had no recollection that they ever did until I found the setlist of the show online on Setlist.fm and then found on YouTube a performance of it.

I usually have good memory of shows I've been to in the past but I wonder why I forgot they even played it the first time I saw them...I can only fathom it had something to do with the fact that I was on Cloud 9 at the thought of even seeing them live yet I remembered he cracked a Bon Jovi joke, made the crowd do a sing along to Harvest and near the end of the show did his "silent headbanging" schtick. It was also the first time I saw Katatonia as well...

The "new" records getting the most attention from me 'round my house are:

Case/Lang/Veirs

Foals - What Went Down

Elbow - Little Fictions.

Looking forward to checking out the new Shins album which recently came out.

As far as older stuff... Mott the Hoople, Roxy Music, and Black Sabbath have been my latest binges, if you want to call them 'binges'. :D

• Like 1

Tomorrow night I'm fulfilling a 6 year/11th grade goal of mine: seeing Sunn O))). Needless to say, I probably won't be making a video about my experience seeing Sunn O))) like this guy:

I won't rule out writing about it though.

I'm rehashing/revisiting this because he played this song (as well as most, if not all of Below The House) tonight at his record release show. My friend who got me into them was at the show too and we both agreed it was one of the best shows we've seen recently (next to the Sunn O))) and Toby Driver shows I saw earlier in the week for me personally). Finally was able to get a physical copy of the album too plus a 7" for $20 total. Might be the best $20 I've spent (that I forced to limit myself to spend) on concert merch at a bar/small gig actually... :haz:

And on that note, my friend pointed out to me during the show that all my favorite new bands that he introduced me to/got me into are all on the same label: The Flenser. I don't think I've ever come across band on The Flenser that I have flat out disliked yet...

All cows eat grass. [bass clef spaces ascending]

Every good boy deserves fudge. [treble clef lines ascending]

Father Charles goes down and ends battle. [order of sharps]

Battle ends and down goes Charlie's father. [order of flats]

I don't pray like my aunt Lucy. [modes]

Mom's apple pie. [3:2 polyrhythm]

Pass the goddamn butter. [4:3 polyrhythm]

Wash the car and wax it. [same]

:huh:

Strange things to remember after all these years.

Edited by vaportrailer
  • Like 1

http://www.nme.com/news/music/adam-lambert-responds-rumours-queen-headline-glastonbury-2020-2063271

this article says Queen are rumored to headline Glastonbury in 2020

that's certainly possible, but no one in Queen is planning that far ahead.

More interestingly, it claims other rumored headliners would be Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, and Oasis.

so that's the point where I stopped taking it seriously, lol.

• Like 1

http://www.nme.com/n...ry-2020-2063271

this article says Queen are rumored to headline Glastonbury in 2020

that's certainly possible, but no one in Queen is planning that far ahead.

More interestingly, it claims other rumored headliners would be Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, and Oasis.

so that's the point where I stopped taking it seriously, lol.

would have been a great lineup save oasis.

could never stand that band like......at all.

Mick