Gompers

Who do you like better?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you like better?

• Porcupine Tree
    • Dream Theater
    • Like them both equally
    • Dislike both equally

This is not a poll about musician talent. It is about who you prefer to listen to.

I am a former DT fan, but over the years Steven Wilson and crew have risen to be my second favorite band. They show in the world of Prog, less is more. And more memorable!

It's more of what I'm in the mood for, really. I was really into DT with Images and Words and Awake, but his voice has really begun to bug!!!

If they got a new singer that would be perfect laugh.gif ....

Recently I've REALLY gotten into Deadwing wub.gif and I look forward to exploring the others....

smile.gif

For me, PT is a rather recent phenomenon. Which is shameful for the band, because it means that their stuff hadn't been getting out to the masses like it should've. I remember the first time I heard them. It was about five or six years ago, and the first thing that came to mind was a comparison to Radiohead. Something to do with the modern, British vocal delivery. But, I was indignant over how a crumby band like Radiohead could be so popular, when most of their tracks are just a loop of one single, mundane musical idea, and PT was delivering something of a much higher artistic quality and intelligence. But, so is the way of the world where those who appeal to the lowest common denominator reap the large rewards.

Dream Theater, I had been familiar with since the early 90's. Didn't really think twice about them during the Grunge era. When I was out partying all I wanted to know about was Soundgarden, AIC, The Pumpkins, The Peps and NIN. Then, the early 00's rolled around and I finally heard Metropolis and was impressed. Was always a big fan of Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime, and here was something else that could at least compete with that. Then, I think the band just got better and better. They became tighter than they ever were before on titles like 'Train of Thought' and 'Octavarium', which are now my all-time favourite. I love PT. I was gunna say especially this one or the other. But, the band has been fairly consistent since Signify. That's one thing that PT has over DT. Much more consitent. But, there isn't one single PT album that I think can compete with either of my favourite DT titles. There's tracks on those that are just compositonally perfect.

PT, and it isn't even close. I like almost everything that I heard from PT. I don't care for some of their mellower stuff, but that is where my taste in music lies...I'm just not into mellow stuff.

I've never been able to get into Dream Theater. There stuff just doesn't seem to have much soul. It kind of sounds empty to me.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Aug 5 2008, 02:14 PM)
I've never been able to get into Dream Theater. There stuff just doesn't seem to have much soul. It kind of sounds empty to me.

Ya know how many times I've heard that sentiment expressed in relation to Rush over the years? I actually felt the same way when my very first obsession with music was centered around Led Zeppelin. Zep was all about the blues, soul and feeling. I used to tell the kids who were into Rush that the music sounded all cold, mechanical and intellectual. Then I became those things and I finally 'got it'. lol.

dream theater . obviously, since all i do is defend them. to each is own, tis what makes the world go round 1022.gif

A hard one, but I went with PT as well. They hold together more cohesively as a band. I love DT but PT is still better.

for the record Gavin Harrison once again beat out Portnoy for best Prog Drummer of the Year.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 5 2008, 03:03 PM)
A hard one, but I went with PT as well. They hold together more cohesively as a band. I love DT but PT is still better.

for the record Gavin Harrison once again beat out Portnoy for best Prog Drummer of the Year.

portnoy won it the last 12 year's [ or around that]. g.h can have his 2 in a row . trink39.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 5 2008, 03:07 PM)
A hard one, but I went with PT as well.  They hold together more cohesively as a band.  I love DT but PT is still better.

portnoy won it the last 12 year's [ or around that]. g.h can have his 2 in a row . trink39.gif

They're both awesome. And both bands should be coming out with another album in 09, so that will be cool!

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 5 2008, 03:08 PM)
A hard one, but I went with PT as well.  They hold together more cohesively as a band.  I love DT but PT is still better.

They're both awesome. And both bands should be coming out with another album in 09, so that will be cool!

trink39.gif f- yeah 1022.gif i def want to see p.t. live this time

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 5 2008, 04:07 PM)

I want GH to have the opportunity to do so. He seems so diverse in his style. Definitely not a unidirectional drummer.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 5 2008, 03:24 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 5 2008, 04:07 PM)

I want GH to have the opportunity to do so. He seems so diverse in his style. Definitely not a unidirectional drummer.

i am sure he will.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 5 2008, 03:09 PM)
I'm listening to Octavarium right now. Very cool. The flute part at the beginning is so beautiful!

i also love how that song end's

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 5 2008, 03:16 PM)

I saw them last October in Nashville (Suprised the hell out of me that they came here, no one good ever comes to play in Nashville), and it was the second best concert I saw that year (behind Rush of course).

What was cool about that show is that it was General Admission, and I got there early and was right on the stage FRONT ROW!!

I really would like to see DT the next tour, I still have yet to see them. I'll probably have to go down and see them in Atlanta though. (Unless they decide to do Nashville which I really doubt)

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 5 2008, 03:28 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 5 2008, 03:16 PM)

I saw them last October in Nashville (Suprised the hell out of me that they came here, no one good ever comes to play in Nashville), and it was the second best concert I saw that year (behind Rush of course).

What was cool about that show is that it was General Admission, and I got there early and was right on the stage FRONT ROW!!

I really would like to see DT the next tour, I still have yet to see them. I'll probably have to go down and see them in Atlanta though. (Unless they decide to do Nashville which I really doubt)

you won't be disappointed. great show's, everyone i have seen [about 20]