How did you discover Rush?

darth by tor

Personally for me it was a case of meeting a new group of friends who kept talking about this band of unbelivable musicians from canada. As a budding Bassist I decided I would see what all the fuss was about and started with their then latest Album HYF.

Then I was told in hushed whispers of respect of THE ALBUM 2112, of course after purchasing that it was all over and Ive been a devoted fan ever since! common001.gif

A buddy of mine gave me '2112' on vinyl back in 1980 or 1981 (not sure), he had become tired of it. I've been hooked ever since.

I can still remember that my friend Lenny Sweet had this new album called "2112". So one night his parents were out and he invited some friends over to listen to it. At that time i thought ok, this is pretty cool something different but didn't really give it much thought after that. Then that one day when i saw ATWAS in the drug store the album cover just lured me in the picture of neil's drum kit!!! AND THE REST IS HISTORY biggrin.gif 653.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

My brother played them when I was like 8 or 9 and I thought they jammed. They've been my favorite band ever since. This was in, say, 1976.

my dad got hooked because of 2112 too..pretty cool.

dad's always listened to RUSH, so it's never been anything new. however, when i was in 6th grade, Spirit of Radio came on one morning on the radio..it hit me like it hadn't before: these guys rocked. so, i came home & listened to it from ESL about 30 times..i was officially hooked. dad burned me a copy of his Chronicles disc, which i listened to nonstop for a while. my aunt heard of my newfound love, & bought my dad & i tickets to the VT show in Raleigh..i've been a fan ever since! biggrin.gif

The first song I ever heard was By-Tor. I didn't like it. I thought it was too long & drawn out.

Obviously I was completely wrong in my initial assesment... tongue.gif

I didn't hear anymore Rush for about a year, then it was Permanent Waves...The rest is history. I never looked back. I wore out my first cassette of PW & had to replace it.

I was 13 years old, heard Spirit and Freewill on the local rock station. Was blown away.. Shortly after that, I started hearing Tom Sawyer and Limelight. I wasn't allowed to buy albums back then, so the radio was my only avenue. My total Rush experience at this time was Spirit, Freewill, TS, Limelight, The Trees, Closer to the Heart, 2112:Overture, Fly by night, and Working Man (that's what was played on the radio). I basicly sat around and listened to the radio hoping they would play a Rush song.

When I was 14 or 15, I started making my own $$ and bought Signals and ESL.. My mom didn't like it, but oh well.. Before P/G came out, I had them all..

2.gif

There was a similar topic a few weeks ago, so here is my post from that:

Believe it or not, my 11th grade English teacher, Mr. Rock (Rockefeller). [Oddly enough, Mr. Rock bore an uncanny resemblence to Geddy Lee. Weird!]

In 11th English, we were supposed to study "poetry". To engage us in the subject, Mr. Rock brought in rock music and lyrics for us to listen to and analyze. He brought in a bunch, but now (many years later!), I only remember The Beatles (I Am the Walrus and Strawberry Fields), and Rush (Tom Sawyer and Limelight).

When he played TS, I thought "I've heard this - my brothers have played it. It's pretty good." When he played Limelight, I was amazed and hooked for life!

2.gif

[sadly, Mr. Rock died at an early age 2 years ago. He was a truly amazing person and phenomenal teacher who really new how to get through to teenagers!!!]

Thanks, Mr Rock!!

trink39.gif

A friend of mine turned me on to Rush with his Moving Pictures tape, (how 80's), and I was intrigued to say the least. I liked Tom Sawyer of course but what really grabbed me was Witch Hunt. It just sounded so surreal and creepy and that's what kept me coming back. the rest of the songs grew on me over time and I went and bought Hemispheres later. I thought: "Holy sh*t these guys are great!" I especially loved The Trees and La Villa on that one. The rest is hardcore Rush fan history. 2.gif

When I was 13, I was in the car one night with my Dad and 'Limelight' came on the radio. I was intrigued by the sound, especially when my Dad told me that the singer was a man. Later, I found out my uncle was a huge Rush fan (my Dad wasn't), so he made me a few Rush mix tapes which I listened to religiously until I got Couterparts, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres and Moving Pictures for my birthday a year later.

And that's my story. trink39.gif

When I was 12 my sister played me a really poor quality tape of Hemispheres which I didn't like. A few weeks later, she persuaded me to listen to the copy of 2112 she's bought on vinyl. That was 25 years ago and I was hooked. Not long after, Spirit of Radio was released as a single and my love and respect for the band has never stopped growing.

I got into them in high school, 1981 Moving Pictures. But by the 1987, I started getting into Blues music. (Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy, Clapton, etc.)

A few years ago, Directv showed "A Show of Hands" on their free-view concert channel and I have been back into 2.gif ever since.

Can't get enough.

I have to admit I hated them when I first heard them but before I get pelted with sticks it was only cuz my big brothers used to babysit me and they put on Rush when I was wanting to watch the telly........after a while (it wasn't that long) I started to listen to what they were playing and I was hooked! I think it annoyed them though as I started to pinch their records biggrin.gif

I think I started a thread like this a little while ago.

The first album I can remember listening to was Hold Your Fire. My dad played it in the car when we were going somewhere. It was awesome, each song great. I remember enjoying them so much.

I was told mr peart had the bigghest kit ever by my drum tutor in 1998,I was interested but did nothing.. in 2002 I saw a cheap tape... a show of hands for 1.99 pound,that tape was profounding on its own but Words cant describe my eurphoric unreal obsession with the band as a great musician appreaciator and as a musican my self when I got " vapor trails" the 13 other albums I got spawned from thant and I think of them as gods,the alpha and the omeaga of music

they are truely underrated by others they are my life

Archived