Album Collection

Pratt Boy

I am in the process of buying all the Re-mastered CD's from 2.gif .

I have 12 so far, I now need the following:

RUSH (Need Some Love, Here Again, Take A Friend)

Fly By Night (Best I Can, Making Memories, Rivendell)

A Farewell To Kings ( Madrigal, Cygnus X-1: Book 1)

Hemispheres (Circumstances, Cygnus X-1: Book 2)

Power Windows (Grand Designs, Territories, Middletown Dreams, Emotion Detector)

Test For Echos (Pretty much the whole album, except T4E and Driven)

The songs in parenthasis are song I have not heard before.

Maybe you guys and gals can help me purchase my next album.

Any suggestions?

Thanx.

Any of those three would be best, though I'm partial to Power Windows. I can't imagine not having heard the books of Cygnus, Territories, or Middletown Dreams. You must hear them ASAP! 1287.gif

Oh, to be a new Rush fan, buying and discovering their old material.

Not saying you're that new, I don't know how long you've been a fan. But for me, one of the best parts of getting into a new band is going into their backcatalog and getting their old stuff. It's been so long since I did that with Rush I can hardly remember it - but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

As far as your question, maybe it depends on whether you're partial to their newer or older sound. If it's the latter, I'd go for Fly By Night or Farewell. However, it looks like in terms of raw material you haven't heard, Hemispheres would be your best bet.

I feel like I'm not being much help here. How bout this. You've listed 6 cds - why don't you just roll a six sided die?

cool.gif

Schro

I would go with AFTK, but it sounds like your on your way to getting them all so actually what you might wanna do to make it a little interesting and fun would be, right down all of the album titles on seperate pieces of paper throw them into a hat and draw one. Adds a little suspense to it. biggrin.gif

troutman 653.gif & the beagle cheer.gif

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Dude, you must purchase ALL of Rush's catalog IMMEDIATELY!!! How can you go on living without it!! biggrin.gif

Seriously, I would just start with the newest album you don't currently own. My first Rush album was Signals, and I just started buying the previous ones in order until I had them all. It didn't take me long. I had them all before P/G came out.

The poor guy has never heard Cygnus X-1 Book II. Nuff said!

Oh, and the debut can be saved for last IMHO. wink.gif

---

Have fun discovering the rest of the Rush catalogue, Pratt Boy! There are some truly great songs on pretty much all of those records.

Well AFTK and Hemi are absloutely essential, and T4E is their best 90s album, and Power Windows is their best 80s synth-era album. The first 2 aren't as essential but still worth having.

Heres my order for getting them:

Hemispheres

A Farewell to Kings

Power Windows

Test for Echo

Fly by Night

Rush

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 9 2005, 08:28 PM)
Well AFTK and Hemi are absloutely essential, and T4E is their best 90s album, and Power Windows is their best 80s synth-era album. The first 2 aren't as essential but still worth having.

Hemispheres
A Farewell to Kings
Power Windows
Test for Echo
Fly by Night
Rush

Agreed PK2112, but you gotta switch AF2K and Hem... you shouldn't just jump into book 2 first, if you don't have to! Get these in order so you can flow from the end of one CD right into the other and get the "full Cygnus effect!"

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Feb 9 2005, 08:42 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 9 2005, 08:28 PM)

Hemispheres
A Farewell to Kings
Power Windows
Test for Echo
Fly by Night
Rush

Agreed PK2112, but you gotta switch AF2K and Hem... you shouldn't just jump into book 2 first, if you don't have to! Get these in order so you can flow from the end of one CD right into the other and get the "full Cygnus effect!"

yes.gif Get AFTK before Hemispheres.

I'd have to say Hemispheres, even before AFTK. I say this because Hemispheres was the 3rd Rush album I bought after ESL and MP and it completely blew my mind and made me a lifelong fan. Hemispheres is simply incredible.

All of them, but AFTk 1st its a must have.

I've just recently bought Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Counterparts and T4e and lovin it all!!!!!!!

I went out and got myself a record player just so i could start geting rush records! Currently I own

Rush

Fly By Night

Caress Of Steel

All The World's a Stage

AFTK and

Hemishperes on record.

whereas on CD I own

Fly By Night

All The World's a Stage

AFTK

Hemishperes

Exit Stage Left

Chronicals Compliation

A Show Of Hands

Vapour Trails

Rush In Rio

Feedback

I need them all though tongue.gif

QUOTE (Pratt Boy @ Feb 9 2005, 05:24 PM)
I am in the process of buying all the Re-mastered CD's from  2.gif .
I have 12 so far, I now need the following:

RUSH (Need Some Love, Here Again, Take A Friend)
Fly By Night (Best I Can, Making Memories, Rivendell)
Test For Echos (Pretty much the whole album, except T4E and Driven)

The songs in parenthasis are song I have not heard before.
Maybe you guys and gals can help me purchase my next album.
Any suggestions?

Thanx.

Farewell to Kings. I was weened on this back in 1978! Wow it only seems like yesterday sad.gif

You haven't heard Cygnus X-1??? bd.gif

Also get Hemispheres. These would be my first choices, then Power Windows and then the earlier albums - T4E Last!

Thanks guys.

I have heard Cygnus X-1 on the live CDs (Different Stages, Rush in Rio). I don't know if it is the whole thing or what. But anyway, it kicks arse.

It is good to go back and find songs from Rush I haven't heard before. It's like Christmas morning again and again. I think I will go buy AFTK today if I can find it.

As far as Albums, I have Moving Pictures and 2112.

I used to have the first album, 2.gif , on 8 track tape years ago, but it's gone now.

Thanks again guys.

QUOTE (Cygnus @ Feb 10 2005, 09:30 AM)
QUOTE (afansince74 @ Feb 9 2005, 09:42 PM)
Get these in order so you can flow from the end of one CD right into the other and get the "full Cygnus effect!"

I concur 653.gif rofl3.gif

doh.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif Cyg... well of course you do!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Oh, and try to get TEH VINYLZ!

I mean, the vinyl records. The sound quality is 1000x better (especially AFTK, Hem, Signals)

QUOTE (troutman @ Feb 10 2005, 11:31 PM)
I can't stand the suspense any longer, just buy them all. If money is a problem I will contribute. ohmy.gif But one catch... you have to listen to each album in the order that they came out!!! cool.gif DEAL???

troutman 1287.gif & the beagle new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

trink39.gif

I'll take you up on your offer. Just send all your money to me.

I like to get one CD at a time. Just so I can let it soak in before I go to the next one. AFTK is the next one I will look for, if I can find it.

I likes the old stuff.

QUOTE (Pratt Boy @ Feb 11 2005, 06:19 AM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Feb 10 2005, 11:31 PM)
I can't stand the suspense any longer, just buy them all. If money is a problem I will contribute. ohmy.gif  But one catch... you have to listen to each album in the order that they came out!!! cool.gif DEAL???

troutman  1287.gif & the beagle new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

trink39.gif

I'll take you up on your offer. Just send all your money to me.

I like to get one CD at a time. Just so I can let it soak in before I go to the next one. AFTK is the next one I will look for, if I can find it.

I likes the old stuff.

Thats the same way that I did it, well except for Roll The Bones and Presto, which I bought on the same day. It took me over 2 years to accumulate all the albums that way though, but I have really been able to get into each and every one of them because of that.

Archived