A Rush Tribute album

Would You Be interested in making a TRF Rush Tribut Album?(read below for info before you vote)  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Be interested in making a TRF Rush Tribut Album?(read below for info before you vote)

• Yes
    • No

Ok, so Hunter had the idea make a TRF tribute album....basically the rough idea would be to have 10 or so tracks.....all rush covers.....and make an album

Anyone can contribute to any song (as long as you can play it)....

Every song can have different people (guitar,bass,drums(vox?),synth,engineer)

You can do as many parts as you like on any song and you can do as many songs as you want......

maybe we could get a subforum under MMM so it would be more organzied....and then in that forum, we could have sub forums for each song...

We could take a thread in the Rush section....asking people what they would like to hear(but of course the final descision will be down to us biggrin.gif )

I would be interested in basically organizing the whole thing...(creating threads for it, organizing who is doing what for what song...etc.)

THIS IS JUST A ROUGH IDEA!

Interested? Vote Above!

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Edited by Analogkid1123

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, well we already have...

Pete-Guitar

Camera Eye-bass/keys

Hunter-Guitar(and he's prty good at vox...)

Me-I can play a horrible guitar...but ill leave that to you guys...i just wanna organize it and mix it too...

The only problem is....there is a lack of drummers here....and Cygnus X-Bk2 seems to be very busy a lot.....and he would be the one who would have to start off most of the projects!

so....basically.....we need drummers!

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Jul 29 2008, 08:15 PM)
I'll be the official observer. My job is to sit back and drink beer while you guys do all the work. I then take credit for its sucess! laugh.gif tongue.gif

alright.....sounds good....but we still need a drummer.....

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Analogkid1123 @ Jul 29 2008, 09:15 PM)
Ok, so Hunter had the idea make a TRF tribute album....basically the rough idea would be to have 10 or so tracks.....all rush covers.....and make an album

Anyone can contribute to any song (as long as you can play it)....

Every song can have different people (guitar,bass,drums(vox?),synth,engineer)

You can do as many parts as you like on any song and you can do as many songs as you want......

maybe we could get a subforum under MMM so it would be more organzied....and then in that forum, we could have sub forums for each song...

We could take a thread in the Rush section....asking people what they would like to hear(but of course the final descision will be down to us biggrin.gif )

I would be interested in basically organizing the whole thing...(creating threads for it, organizing who is doing what for what song...etc.)

THIS IS JUST A ROUGH IDEA!

Interested? Vote Above!

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Sounds like a great idea and I'd love to be on a drum track, but what about the logistics? I guess this would mean we have to submit complete, mastered recordings with all the instruments? I think it would be better with a drum track from usa, keyboard track from Canada, a guitar track from U.K. and a bass track from Japan. Does everyone have access to a pro tools rig? Would Cakewalk Sonar be an option? etc... confused13.gif

QUOTE (Analogkid1123 @ Jul 29 2008, 10:23 PM)
Ok, well we already have...

Pete-Guitar

Camera Eye-bass/keys

Hunter-Guitar(and he's prty good at vox...)

Me-I can play a horrible guitar...but ill leave that to you guys...i just wanna organize it and mix it too...

The only problem is....there is a lack of drummers here....and Cygnus X-Bk2 seems to be very busy a lot.....and he would be the one who would have to start off most of the projects!

so....basically.....we need drummers!

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

I'm an experienced drummer and I could submit a track or two of drums and mail it or upload files to a server, but I would definately want other drummers involved. I just got into a new band, so I don't have time to master 10 rush drum parts and have to record them all. What a pain! Plus, it would be better to hear a variety of musicians. Kinda like the 1995 rush tribute "working man".

Sounds like a great idea and I'd love to be on a drum track, but what about the logistics? I guess this would mean we have to submit complete, mastered recordings with all the instruments? I think it would be better with a drum track from usa, keyboard track from Canada, a guitar track from U.K. and a bass track from Japan. Does everyone have access to a pro tools rig? Would Cakewalk Sonar be an option? etc... confused13.gif

We actually just used whatever software each of us had on the Larger Bowl cover, and just submitted wav files and then I mixed them. But any software can mix using a wav. I think CygnusX-1bk2 recorded while listening to the real rush track and then I recorded to his drum track so the tempos match. worked fairly well.

Oh and I put in a vote for Time Stand Still.

trink39.gif

Edited by hunter

QUOTE (hunter @ Jul 30 2008, 10:10 AM)

We actually just used whatever software each of us had on the Larger Bowl cover, and just submitted wav files and then I mixed them. But any software can mix using a wav. I think CygnusX-1bk2 recorded while listening to the real rush track and then I recorded to his drum track so the tempos match. worked fairly well.

trink39.gif

Oh really? Somebody gimme a song that will be easy with no tempo changes, etc...

Anyone have any requests? What about I think I'm going bald or Circumstances? I could have fun playing those ones and they're not that hard. How much time is everyone putting into getting a good drum sound??? Should I leave the drum recording dry?

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jul 30 2008, 07:43 AM)

trink39.gif

Oh really? Somebody gimme a song that will be easy with no tempo changes, etc...

Anyone have any requests? What about I think I'm going bald or Circumstances? I could have fun playing those ones and they're not that hard. How much time is everyone putting into getting a good drum sound??? Should I leave the drum recording dry?

No tempo changes? Hmm... How about Losing It? Or Cygnus X-1. laugh.gif

I have Sonar so that's cool with me. I think CygnusX-1bk2 left the drum track pretty dry which will give the mixer some options.

Alright.....well it sounds like we have a lot of people on board......

If a moderater reads this,

Would it be possible to get our own subforum within Making Modern Music, Entiltled: The Rush Forum Tribute Album

It would make it much easier to keep organized w/o all of our posts being bumped constantly...

Please and Thank you

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

trink39.gif

dont worry about recording....Pete just uses audacity....hunter and i use sonar....cygnus uses some ultimate program o' doom rofl3.gif

And the tempo shanges shouldnt be that hard....We can ask pete what he does......on his recording project in his sig (digital men), they play tons of rush songs...and they pulled off Xanadu! This is full of tempo changes...so....i wouldnt worry about it......

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Now, about song choice....

1) We want songs from all era's...

2) We should get at LEAST 2 instrumentals

3) Before we start a song (presumably a 70's tune), let's make sure we have someone who can sing it well before we get to the very last track (the vocal track) and find out that the vox dont sound so great....

And i say just so we can get started.....we already throw in pete's and camera eye's TMMB....

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Unfortunately I have several projects going at the moment, plus work.

I did put a hair of reverb on the kit for a little bit of ambience.

I use ProTools mostly these day and occasionally Cubase 4.

QUOTE (Analogkid1123 @ Jul 29 2008, 11:43 PM)
QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Jul 29 2008, 08:15 PM)
I'll be the official observer.  My job is to sit back and drink beer while you guys do all the work.  I then take credit for its sucess! laugh.gif tongue.gif

alright.....sounds good....but we still need a drummer.....

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

laugh.gif

*cracks open a beer* trink39.gif

QUOTE (Analogkid1123 @ Jul 30 2008, 10:08 AM)

3) Before we start a song (presumably a 70's tune), let's make sure we have someone who can sing it well before we get to the very last track (the vocal track) and find out that the vox dont sound so great....

And i say just so we can get started.....we already throw in pete's and camera eye's TMMB....

2.gif  2.gif  2.gif

Throw in The Larger bowl and we're 1/5 of the way done. tongue.gif

Edited by hunter

QUOTE (hunter @ Jul 30 2008, 10:32 AM)
QUOTE (Analogkid1123 @ Jul 30 2008, 10:08 AM)

2.gif  2.gif  2.gif

Throw in The Larger bowl and we're 1/5 of the way done. tongue.gif

o yea....forgot about that!

And maybe we could get someone on here that knows a lot about computer design to make us an album art cover!

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Actually i'm a graphic artist/3D cgi animator by trade. But I think everybody should get a voice in the design. Also once the songs are chosen we might do one kinda like Exit Stage Left with the album references on it?

QUOTE (rushringleader @ Jul 30 2008, 01:50 PM)
I think as much as I would like to do bass, I will join gleam and be the official observer.

Youre my assistant observer Alec. Now get me a beer! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Analogkid1123 @ Jul 30 2008, 01:02 PM)

trink39.gif

dont worry about recording....Pete just uses audacity....hunter and i use sonar....cygnus uses some ultimate program o' doom rofl3.gif

And the tempo shanges shouldnt be that hard....We can ask pete what he does......on his recording project in his sig (digital men), they play tons of rush songs...and they pulled off Xanadu! This is full of tempo changes...so....i wouldnt worry about it......

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

We built all the Digital Men tracks this way:

Kirk would do the drum track while listening to the origial song with headphones. His tempos would then be spot on.

I would then import his track into my software (Audacity) and put it on it's own track. I would also put the original on a separate track.

I would then record my parts with Kirk's drum track mainly. I would keep the original track on also but at a low volume just to keep me from getting lost.

After I finished my tracks I would send them to Andy who would add bass, keyboard, vocal tracks, and do the mixing.

We would send him raw tracks. I would just do minor eq'ing just to get the guitar tone right.

Andy did all the post production work.

Whoever gets the job of mixing the final tracks would add any effects, eq, and compression at that point.

Edited by _pete_