rush to be on the colbert report???

rushfr:CP

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Jul 17 2008, 11:21 AM)
QUOTE (mfratt @ Jul 16 2008, 11:33 PM)
Yea, I wansn't exactly expecting to see them come out with The Fountain of Lamneth or anything, but why Tom Sawyer? I'd figure Limelight, Subdivisions, Freewill, Far Cry, etc.

Hmmmm....well let's see....it's been 33 years since they were on TV and I'd have to say that Tom Sawyer is the biggest, mass appeal song in Rush's library, so it would only stand to reason that they would play that.

They did play a snippet of Limelight and Anthem during the show...and how 'bout By-Tor & The Snowdog on the teleprompter.

Sweet. I thought it was awesome... 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Why the negativity towards "Tom Sawyer". Yeah, it's overplayed, but it's as perfect as a song can be! To my ears, it's never boring.

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 17 2008, 08:20 AM)
According to Rush is a Band, Rush will be on The Colbert Report again tonight!

Reader brmperc was lucky enough to attend the taping of the show and tells me that Rush will also be on tonight's show for a few seconds; not sure in what capacity as of yet, but I assume it'll be some taped clip that they'll incorporate into one of their comedy bits.

Link: http://www.rushisaband.com/display.php?id=1558

I have a hunch about what they might do, but I'm not going to say...

Thanks for this!

I guess I'll tape the show tonight, just in case there really is truth to this rumor.

Would love to see more or some continuation of the Rush gag on the Colbert Report.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jul 17 2008, 11:14 AM)
If your not outraged that Rush was cut off, I cant understand why ? These Guys are legend, have not done American TV in 30+ years and this the respect they get ? What total crap. When he walked out on the set at the climax of the song, I was like. "Get the f**k off the set asshole, what are you stupid ?" Im sorry but if it was Pink Floyd, The Who, U2, The Stones, etc, that sure as hell would not have happened. Its to bad they did not choose to perform on a show with some class. They did not deserve Rush.  I'll bet the shows producer, who loves the band is mortified after that. 

I appreciate your passion but holy crap this is misguided. The only thing that would mortify me is if Comedy Central receives a bunch of e-mails like this from Rush fans. This is embarrassing. The whole show was a Rush lovefest and the band was clearly having a great time.

I admitt I overreacted to the whole thing. I tend to wear my heart on my sleave at times and at the time, I saw little humor in what took place. Perhaps I was afraid Rush felt slighted and that made me uncomfortable.

The other thing for me was, They sounded so damn good, it made me feel like a kid watching them perform, so when they went to break I was just pissed off. I guess I was a bit over the top for 6:30 in the morning. unsure.gif

Oh well, it was awesome to see them on TV ! 2.gif atickhum.gif

And it was a very entertaining half hour.

still wish they let um finish. bolt.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 17 2008, 10:37 AM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jul 17 2008, 11:14 AM)
If your not outraged that Rush was cut off, I cant understand why ? These Guys are legend, have not done American TV in 30+ years and this the respect they get ? What total crap. When he walked out on the set at the climax of the song, I was like. "Get the f**k off the set asshole, what are you stupid ?" Im sorry but if it was Pink Floyd, The Who, U2, The Stones, etc, that sure as hell would not have happened. Its to bad they did not choose to perform on a show with some class. They did not deserve Rush.  I'll bet the shows producer, who loves the band is mortified after that. 

I appreciate your passion but holy crap this is misguided. The only thing that would mortify me is if Comedy Central receives a bunch of e-mails like this from Rush fans. This is embarrassing. The whole show was a Rush lovefest and the band was clearly having a great time.

I admitt I overreacted to the whole thing. I tend to wear my heart on my sleave at times and at the time, I saw little humor in what took place. Perhaps I was afraid Rush felt slighted and that made me uncomfortable.

The other thing for me was, They sounded so damn good, it made me feel like a kid watching them perform, so when they went to break I was just pissed off. I guess I was a bit over the top for 6:30 in the morning. unsure.gif

Oh well, it was awesome to see them on TV ! 2.gif atickhum.gif

still wish they let um finish. bolt.gif

Yeah, that was one of the best sounding live versions of TS I have ever heard. Given the choice, I'd take the complete song over the joke. But the joke is cool, too. As long as they were in on it. But I think they were. Maybe TS was chosen, knowing it was going to be interrupted.

The other thing for me was, They sounded so damn good, it made me feel like a kid watching them perform, so when they went to break I was just pissed off. I guess I was a bit over the top for 6:30 in the morning. 

Oh well, it was awesome to see them on TV ! 

No problem, I know we all want Rush to get the respect they deserve.

This is Just What th Doctor Ordered for Us RUSH Junkie's. What a Excellent Show, I mean come On, Neil..." Better Not See That On Ebay ! ". OMG, Just a great showing for Rush. Very Entertaining & Informative. Time for RUSH to go on Letterman ! ! yes.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 17 2008, 10:25 AM)
Why the negativity towards "Tom Sawyer". Yeah, it's overplayed, but it's as perfect as a song can be! To my ears, it's never boring.

Amen!!! trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushfr:CP @ Jul 17 2008, 10:55 AM)
Look for more on tonights show, someone on RIAB who was there said there is more coming tonigh!!!

My guess is they will still be playing TS when the show starts.

That would be fricking hilarious.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 17 2008, 12:05 PM)
That performance last night did tell us something -- that Rush has no problem scaling down their stage show and would be able to play small clubs. C'mon guys, let's see a club tour! biggrin.gif

If you weren't in charge in these here parts, I'd ask you what you was smokin' cool10.gif

bolt.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 17 2008, 10:29 AM)

Reader brmperc was lucky enough to attend the taping of the show and tells me that Rush will also be on tonight's show for a few seconds; not sure in what capacity as of yet, but I assume it'll be some taped clip that they'll incorporate into one of their comedy bits.

Thanks for this!

I guess I'll tape the show tonight, just in case there really is truth to this rumor.

Would love to see more or some continuation of the Rush gag on the Colbert Report.

I'll bet they'll still be playing from last night... of course they taped it yesterday, but it'll be funny.

That performance last night did tell us something -- that Rush has no problem scaling down their stage show and would be able to play small clubs. C'mon guys, let's see a club tour! biggrin.gif

A club tour would be quite lame for Rush.

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Jul 17 2008, 02:04 PM)
That performance last night did tell us something -- that Rush has no problem scaling down their stage show and would be able to play small clubs. C'mon guys, let's see a club tour!  biggrin.gif

If you weren't in charge in these here parts, I'd ask you what you was smokin' cool10.gif

bolt.gif

Of course we'll never see a club tour, but it was cool to see them play in a small "venue" with a minimum amount of gear and still sound like Rush.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Jul 17 2008, 07:33 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 17 2008, 07:48 AM)
At the risk of making myself a pariah, I thought Colbert's interrupting the song was hilarious! In case you're humor-impaired, the joke was that Colbert was playing it as if he thought the song was over. It was great comedy. Period.

All of you who are complaining about it need more fiber in your diet or something. Studies show that people who laugh more live longer. Please try it.

I have to agree with this and it looked to me like the band knew he was going to do it. We know the boys have a sense of humor. I thought the whole show was awesome and I thought the band came off looking great and they sounded tight. I really enjoyed it.

I have seen David Letterman bring on a band with almost no time left and have them playing during the credits and only seeing half the song or less. I don't feel shorted at all because of the cut off last night. Props to the Colbert for having them on. It has been far to long. yes.gif

I'll say it again - The show was coated in nothing but love for the band, including the break!

AWESOME!!!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 17 2008, 01:31 PM)
QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Jul 17 2008, 02:04 PM)
That performance last night did tell us something -- that Rush has no problem scaling down their stage show and would be able to play small clubs. C'mon guys, let's see a club tour!  biggrin.gif

bolt.gif

Of course we'll never see a club tour, but it was cool to see them play in a small "venue" with a minimum amount of gear and still sound like Rush.

goodpost.gif

Agreed 100%. I would definitely love to see it. trink39.gif

Actually, come to think of it, I thought they once had a small "secret" show in a Toronto club back around the T4E days?? Can anyone confirm that?

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jul 17 2008, 02:40 PM)
Actually, come to think of it, I thought they once had a small "secret" show in a Toronto club back around the T4E days?? Can anyone confirm that?

I think what you're talking about is the time Geddy stopped in the Orbit Room and jammed to In the Mood with Alex. It wasn't an official Rush performance - just 2 guys from the band jamming to one of their songs.

http://www.musicintheabstract.org/rush-oddities/images/gedalex.jpg

QUOTE (Lrigyttiw @ Jul 17 2008, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 17 2008, 10:29 AM)

Thanks for this!

I'll bet they'll still be playing from last night... of course they taped it yesterday, but it'll be funny.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm looking forward to it (even if I'll have to dig around on youtube again since I don't have the channel, lol).

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Jul 17 2008, 01:57 PM)

I think what you're talking about is the time Geddy stopped in the Orbit Room and jammed to In the Mood with Alex. It wasn't an official Rush performance - just 2 guys from the band jamming to one of their songs.

Actually, I think they may be refering to a club date they did for a Molson contest. I'll have to look it up on Power Windows for more info.

From the Power Windows site:

December 18th, 1996 (Molson Blind Date, The Phoenix Club, Toronto, ONT)

Intro (Thus Spoke Zarathustra)

The Big Money/Wipe Out

Driven

Half the World

Red Barchetta

Animate

Virtuality

Nobody's Hero

Closer To The Heart

Test For Echo

Subdivisions

Freewill

Roll the Bones

Resist

Leave That Thing Alone!

The Spirit of Radio

Tom Sawyer

Encore: Force Ten

YYZ

Cygnus X-1 (teaser)

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jul 17 2008, 03:00 PM)
QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Jul 17 2008, 01:57 PM)

Actually, I think they may be refering to a club date they did for a Molson contest. I'll have to look it up on Power Windows for more info.

Yeah that would be the one. A contest where you win tickets to go see an awesome *surprise band* in some small club....

Of *course* every douche bag that won was praying that it would turn out to be Bon Jovi or Gun 'n Roses so I heard that the crowd reaction to finding out the band was RUSH was somewhat poor.

Archived