Why we love Rush!!!

troutman

First of all I just want to say this is a great web site !! I feel like I have met all kinds of new friends without even meeting any of you. All the different topics about the Band ect.. it's just really "cool". Anyway, I was thinking today about all of the subjects that are discussed here and thought why do we love these guys so much.This is my personal take on it and it is obvious but.. It is just all the types of music they play. You never really get tired of it. Sure you might not listen to an album for a while but at some point you end up going back to it and say...OH YEA" this is great. That's what happen to me this weekend. I hadn't listened to "Hold your Fire" in so long so I went and bought the remastered version and I realized it had been way too long it's great. I think with alot of bands you don't have that luxury with the different types of music. Anyway, getting really long here just want to here others on this subject. biggrin.gif

troutman & matty the beagle common001.gif oh, matty wants to know, what's up with this "SNOOP DOG" DOOD??? confused13.gif

Why do I love Rush? That's a question that isn't easy to answer.

I could go on at length about superior musicianship, great music, brilliant songwriting, intelligence, thought, emotion and a 100 other things but, when you get right to it, that's not the real reason.

The real reason I love Rush so much is that they have, like no other band, struck a chord somewhere inside of me (call it my heart, my soul, my spirit, whatever you will) that has constantly resonated for 25 years.

Its as simple as that.

Why do I love Rush?

Because they're Rush

Hey SMR, you should have started this topic that is an "Awsome Response". That's it exactly. I guess I should have thought about it some more but that's what is great here, we can all put our personal touch on the subject . thanks for your response!!! biggrin.gif

troutman 2.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Feb 7 2005, 07:04 PM)

I could go on at length about superior musicianship, great music, brilliant songwriting, intelligence, thought, emotion and a 100 other things but, when you get right to it, that's not the real reason.

The real reason I love Rush so much is that they have, like no other band, struck a chord somewhere inside of me (call it my heart, my soul, my spirit, whatever you will) that has constantly resonated for 25 years.

Its as simple as that.

Why do I love Rush?

Because they're Rush

goodpost.gif

Slaine said it so well. There are so many different reasons. In addition to everything that Slaine listed - I love the various forms of their music - there is something for every mood I'm in (which can be a lot! tongue.gif ) Also - I admire that they've led "relatively" clean lifes - they're all good family men (for the most part), with good values. They're not your typical "rockstar".

I love Rush because of course the musicianship, it is ever changing, yet their own unique fingerprints are on their sound. They do not have the typical rock band personna, and I appreciate that too. You never get tired of their music, the lyrics, or them as people. They are likable men, and it shows in how they deal with their fans. You can take just about one thing from each song, and apply it to your life, they have been there. Weather its happiness, sadness, politics, or just 'stuff'. They are an intellectual persons musician, and a musicians musician. They are excuisite artists.

There are many things that make Rush special and they are different for each of us. For me it's the music, obviously, but also that they've been able to adapt their sound over the years. Also because they are consummate and accomplished musicians on their respective instruments. Musicianship is paramount. They have never compromised their sound or the direction they wanted to go for anyone. It is a magic mix of professional and melodic compositions along with thought-provoking lyrics. And on top of everything else, the boys are simply true gentlemen of the highest caliber. You won't find better anywhere else in the entertainment industry. Keep it up boys. cheer.gif

I think Slaine said it best, I'm not sure if I can add anything to that.. There are very few bands that get inside you.. That reach inside your "soul" or "being" or whatever. Plus, they are just different.. They don't conform.. they "deviate from the norm".. What I mean by that is they don't care what anyone thinks, including record companies. They do what they want to do. And that is why they have the loyalist fan following today!!!

Plus, they are just freaking awesome and talented..!!!! (and funny too..!!)

2.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Feb 7 2005, 07:04 PM)

Its as simple as that.

Why do I love Rush?

Because they're Rush

What else can I say...

Slaine said it all!

Excellent stuff folks. I've seen explanations that really touch upon the reasons why I love this band for so long - how they are ageless to me.

If I can inject a bit of my own.... The reason why Rush is just IT for me is because I find them to be the center of all music. I have a great respect for just about all music styles. Not just that I can say I like other types of music, but I also actively buy, listen to, and know well. Everything from freestyle dance, pop, metal, soft rock, vocalists, country, classical, soul, R&B, classic rock... all of it.

well - Rush seems to be able to pull from all of these music styles and blend them into their music. I don't need to look anywhere else to get a taste of all music. They are.... the core. That is why their sound changes with each release - because they remain that sponge - constantly absorbing the music styles, the sounds of the times, and the energy of our day.... then put their own stamp on it and generate something so unique yet familiar. So different, yet welcoming.

Also, if I can talk about Neil's writing for a moment... Now that I am older and have kids, I don't have to worry about the content or subject matter in the lyrics in order to play these songs and pass my love for Rush onto my young children. No curses, not all about sex and who's gonna bang who.... so on and so on. So thank you Mr. Peart.

Lastly, it's the triangulation of these three men. No other band comes to mind MORE than Rush where you can clearly see the contribution, equality, and respect from each of these members. Typically in bands you see one or two of the members who just sort of wear the Conductor's cap and drive the train. Not Rush. They bounce and feed off each other with such staggering balance. It's mind blowing. That is why, like in the other thread, there is such a melding of words to music. Emotion in the melody that seems to fit the message of the lyric. Where no one instrument or vocal is squashed or played over. They each make room for each other while making their own statement. Like I said... mind blowing. Astounding. Brilliant. Rush!!

Oh - and Arenaline Surge. Nobody packs an adrenaline punch like Rush. Give me that ADRENALINE SURGE!!! YES!!

653.gif 2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif 653.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Feb 8 2005, 09:43 AM)
Excellent stuff folks.  I've seen explanations that really touch upon the reasons why I love this band for so long - how they are ageless to me.

If I can inject a bit of my own.... The reason why Rush is just IT for me is because I find them to be the center of all music.  I have a great respect for just about all music styles.  Not just that I can say I like other types of music, but I also actively buy, listen to, and know well.  Everything from freestyle dance, pop, metal, soft rock, vocalists, country, classical, soul, R&B, classic rock... all of it.

well - Rush seems to be able to pull from all of these music styles and blend them into their music.  I don't need to look anywhere else to get a taste of all music.  They are.... the core.  That is why their sound changes with each release - because they remain that sponge - constantly absorbing the music styles, the sounds of the times, and the energy of our day.... then put their own stamp on it and generate something so unique yet familiar.  So different, yet welcoming.

Also, if I can talk about Neil's writing for a moment... Now that I am older and have kids, I don't have to worry about the content or subject matter in the lyrics in order to play these songs and pass my love for Rush onto my young children.  No curses, not all about sex and who's gonna bang who.... so on and so on.  So thank you Mr. Peart.

Lastly, it's the triangulation of these three men.  No other band comes to mind MORE than Rush where you can clearly see the contribution, equality, and respect from each of these members.  Typically in bands you see one or two of the members who just sort of wear the Conductor's cap and drive the train.  Not Rush.  They bounce and feed off each other with such staggering balance.  It's mind blowing.  That is why, like in the other thread, there is such a melding of words to music.  Emotion in the melody that seems to fit the message of the lyric.  Where no one instrument or vocal is squashed or played over.  They each make room for each other while making their own statement.  Like I said... mind blowing.  AstoundingBrilliantRush!!

Oh - and Arenaline Surge.  Nobody packs an adrenaline punch like Rush.  Give me that ADRENALINE SURGE!!!  YES!!

653.gif  2.gif  AlexFinal.gif  NeilFinal.gif  GeddyFinal.gif  2.gif  653.gif

Damn! you stole my post! laugh.gif Just kidding! Well said! applaudit.gif Well said! applaudit.gif

This is kinda of strange when i have to explain to friends why i love 2.gif

so much?..Well i know why!

They have been there for me since i'm 14 years old.

As we all know these are often tough times..(teens)

I'm now soon to be 41 and i've seen them live so many times

I feel like i know them..

My point is they have always been there for me in good times and bad...

I'm sure the same for each and every one of you to.. biggrin.gif

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

One rush for each band member...

QUOTE (paganoman @ Feb 8 2005, 09:43 AM)
Excellent stuff folks. I've seen explanations that really touch upon the reasons why I love this band for so long - how they are ageless to me.

If I can inject a bit of my own.... The reason why Rush is just IT for me is because I find them to be the center of all music. I have a great respect for just about all music styles. Not just that I can say I like other types of music, but I also actively buy, listen to, and know well. Everything from freestyle dance, pop, metal, soft rock, vocalists, country, classical, soul, R&B, classic rock... all of it.

well - Rush seems to be able to pull from all of these music styles and blend them into their music. I don't need to look anywhere else to get a taste of all music. They are.... the core. That is why their sound changes with each release - because they remain that sponge - constantly absorbing the music styles, the sounds of the times, and the energy of our day.... then put their own stamp on it and generate something so unique yet familiar. So different, yet welcoming.

Also, if I can talk about Neil's writing for a moment... Now that I am older and have kids, I don't have to worry about the content or subject matter in the lyrics in order to play these songs and pass my love for Rush onto my young children. No curses, not all about sex and who's gonna bang who.... so on and so on. So thank you Mr. Peart.

Lastly, it's the triangulation of these three men. No other band comes to mind MORE than Rush where you can clearly see the contribution, equality, and respect from each of these members. Typically in bands you see one or two of the members who just sort of wear the Conductor's cap and drive the train. Not Rush. They bounce and feed off each other with such staggering balance. It's mind blowing. That is why, like in the other thread, there is such a melding of words to music. Emotion in the melody that seems to fit the message of the lyric. Where no one instrument or vocal is squashed or played over. They each make room for each other while making their own statement. Like I said... mind blowing. Astounding. Brilliant. Rush!!

Oh - and Arenaline Surge. Nobody packs an adrenaline punch like Rush. Give me that ADRENALINE SURGE!!! YES!!

653.gif 2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif 653.gif

yes.gif goodpost.gif... Plus they have stayed true to themselves and their legion of fans, never sold themselves out for the nearest buck( U2, Metallica) and there just good down to earth family loving, tax paying shmoes who dont pretend to be anything else but.... Starting to rant, gotta go 1287.gif

I love Rush because the boys are great musicians. Their kind of music is simply the kind of music I love. They haven't written a single song that I can honestly say I despise. The music they make completely jives with my taste--dead on. If I hadn't found Rush, music probably wouldn't play as big a part as it does in my life.

QUOTE (slacker @ Feb 8 2005, 09:53 AM)
This is kinda of strange when i have to explain to friends why i love 2.gif
2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

I know what you mean. I've been a fan since Moving Pictures came out and I'm also 41 and when I look back over the years through all the good times and bad, the bad times are where Rush really came through for me. When I'm experiencing bad times I don't have much interest in listening to music. But the desire to listen to Rush never went away. During these times, Rush is just about the only band I listen to, literally. I can't explain it but when I flip through the CD case, the only ones that stand out are Rush. So I pull out HYF or PW and choke up at the ending of Open Secrets or Middletown Dreams, (the lonely wail right after the verse: "Another day as drab as today, is more than a man can endure." pierces right through the dark malaise to my heart and for a moment, I'm alive and in the world again.) Or I'll take out MP for some fancy finger drumming on Red Barchetta or Camera Eye. And then there's VT with its hard hitting percussion on Ghost Rider and Earthshine to get the blood pumping. Let's face it, they've got everything I ever needed to get by in life and I can't even say that about some people.

I love Rush because they represent the musician I would like to be if that was my career. Pushing their own prowess, respectful of their fans, but playing music they like to play.

I love the images, stories and philosophies that Neil creates with his pen. I'm not a religious person, but I consider the Rush catalogue to be my "Hymn Book". Some of the songs speak so well to the way I think and feel, that they are anthems for me.

NeilFinal.gif

I love their dedication to composition. Some may disagree, but I think, from the beginning, they've given their all in the studio. I think some of us revere Rush so highly we forget music is an art. There will be times that even the best musicians will create something and, for whatever reason, the end result does not meet the vision. Or it ends up being moving for some but not others.

I love how they push themselves musically. I'll never forget reading about the making of Hemispheres and Ged was saying, "we wrote parts for ourselves that we weren't even capable of playing at the time.." I don't know about you, but that puts a lump in my throat.

GeddyFinal.gif

I love Rush for their perseverence. I didn't hang out with the cool crowds or get invited to the cool parties. I can't speak for them, but I have a feeling each member of Rush had a similar experience growing up. And their start as a band mirrored that a bit. When they were starting out, they were able to slowly develop a following. But how many more people looked at them (and their fans) and laughed? You like those guys? You think those guys are going to make it big? You gotta be kidding.

Certainly Rush heard that criticism. They knew they weren't the "cool" band. But I've always had this vision that, very early on Alex and Geddy looked at each other and said, "well maybe we've got a lot of people who think we stink. But there are people out there that like what we're doing. Let's play for those guys."

They've made an entire career playing for "those guys", and I'm damn proud to be part of that group.

AlexFinal.gif

Some Rush fans like to rub it in their face to others, so to speak, that Rush finally made it big. Still, others will come back and say - "well, they may have been successful but they're nowhere near the Stones or the Beatles. And they'll never be in the Hall of Fame." They have a point. Rush isn't #1 in the industry, by almost any standard.

But really, who cares? I love the fact that Rush's goal is not be #1. Instead they're pursuing musical careers their way, without sacrificing personal integrity. How many other bands can honestly say that? It's a short list. I maintain that, in many areas of life, being #1 isn't all that important. I think deep down inside we know our own potential. And I think that what is important is that, at the end of the day, you are satisfied with what you put into your work and can sleep at night knowing you gave it your best shot.

1287.gif

Cheers,

cool.gif

Schro

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Feb 8 2005, 11:40 AM)
QUOTE (slacker @ Feb 8 2005, 09:53 AM)
This is kinda of strange when i have to explain to friends why i love  2.gif
2.gif  2.gif  2.gif

I know what you mean. I've been a fan since Moving Pictures came out and I'm also 41 and when I look back over the years through all the good times and bad, the bad times are where Rush really came through for me. When I'm experiencing bad times I don't have much interest in listening to music. But the desire to listen to Rush never went away. During these times, Rush is just about the only band I listen to, literally. I can't explain it but when I flip through the CD case, the only ones that stand out are Rush. So I pull out HYF or PW and choke up at the ending of Open Secrets or Middletown Dreams, (the lonely wail right after the verse: "Another day as drab as today, is more than a man can endure." pierces right through the dark malaise to my heart and for a moment, I'm alive and in the world again.) Or I'll take out MP for some fancy finger drumming on Red Barchetta or Camera Eye. And then there's VT with its hard hitting percussion on Ghost Rider and Earthshine to get the blood pumping. Let's face it, they've got everything I ever needed to get by in life and I can't even say that about some people.

How true How true...

thats exactly the reason why i don't think i could list to any other band but 2.gif

when heavy things are weighting me down!

very good...

Archived