Songs Where Music Matches The Words

Schro

I'm just going to start off with one of my favorite songs in this category. Something for nothing. I don't think there's another song in the Rush catalogue that has better use of soft and hard passages to contrast each other, that work so well with the message. It starts out soft and peaceful, and unbeknownst to the new listener, the hard rock monster ph34r.gif lurks around the corner. Just when the quiet passage starts rolling, your brain lets its defenses down and prepares for a nice, mellow tune.

But no, it's a "wake the f*ck up and smell the coffee jones, your life is passing you by because you're sittin' on your lazy ass wiling the days away. You know what you should be doing, now get off your butt and start doing something with your life!!" Full guitars Alex! Wicked fills Neil! Screech the lyrics Ged! This lazy sh*t listener needs a kick in the @*^%!

firedevil.gif AlexFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif firedevil.gif

I admit it, I'm a bit warped. When writing the above, I started thinking about what might happen to someone who'd never heard 2112 before and pops it in..

The following was overheard when Steve, age 15, put in 2112 for the first time and got to the last track, Something For Nothing:

Steve: Ooh, that's a pretty guitar part. Looks like they decided to end the cd on a nice, peaceful number..

Steve: I bet they start singing about elves and quiet rivers or something. I'll just sit back with my headphones and turn it up a bit.. schla03.gif

[20 seconds later..]

Steve: WHAT THE..!! must.. reach.. volume knob.. wacko.gif

[3 minutes later]

Steve: (sobbing) OK! OK! I'll start doing my schoolwork! I'll start practicing more! I'm sorry, man! You're right, my life has been a waste - I promise never to be lazy again!! Now get off my case already!!

I guess what I'm trying to say here is I really like how the music matches the mood and story of this song. I want to hear from you guys. What songs in your opinion does the music fit the words perfectly?

I agree with all mentioned above. I'd like to throw The Pass into the mix. I don't there there is a better connection of words to music than this song.

Cygnus X-1 Of course.

The quiet start, as Rocinante sails through deep space...in space no-one can hear you scream....

Then Cygnus takes over and draws the defenceless ship towards it dragging with it whole stars, warping the very fabric of space and time. This is depicted with the mayhem of guitar riff....help! ohmy.gif

Then the singularity is passed and Rocinante enters a parallel universe, another World, another time? All is calm again, the spaceship survives (heartbeats....) enter Part Two...

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Feb 7 2005, 05:04 PM)
Cygnus X-1 Of course.

The quiet start, as Rocinante sails through deep space...in space no-one can hear you scream....

Then Cygnus takes over and draws the defenceless ship towards it dragging with it whole stars, warping the very fabric of space and time. This is depicted with the mayhem of guitar riff....help! ohmy.gif

Then the singularity is passed and Rocinante enters a parallel universe, another World, another time? All is calm again, the spaceship survives (heartbeats....) enter Part Two...

very good description. It does match perfectly. yes.gif

By-Tor and the Snowdog!!

The Pass, Bravado, and Red Barchetta are obvious winners. Can't believe nobody mentioned Bravado yet (I think)! The mood of the song, in particular Alex's beautiful slow-burn of a guitar solo, are perfect for the lyrics.

In the not-so-obvious category are Available Light (very moody), Earthshine (I remember reading that the guys rewrote this because the original music did not do the lyrics justice), Mystic Rhythms (spooky, mysterious tempo/beat), Tai Shan, ...

Gosh, there are so many. After all, this is one of the many marks of a good musician; to create the mood of the music to match the lyrics. And Rush are the masters at this. Don Henley is another master at it.

In the interest of expediency, here are some but not all of my choices. Otherwise I'll be here all day.

Available Light

Mystic Rhythms

Open Secrets

Witch Hunt

Mission

Prime Mover

Middletown Dreams

Afterimage

Between The Wheels

The Pass

I agree Rush is particulary adept at this, and one could make an argument to include practically every one of their songs on this list.

However, despite their talent in this regard, some songs rise above the rest in this category. I just wanted to hear from all of you what you thought.

Thanks for all the contributions, I agree with every one of them!!

cool.gif

Schro

Hey Schro, funny you should mention "Something for Nothing" you nailed it!! Your description is pretty in depth. I heart.gif the ATWAS version, the croud at the begining and the sound of Alex's guitar is so AWSOME!! I love the first driving heavy sound, alway's waiting with anticipation for it. To me the live version is best it just has a more of an edge/distorted sound with Alex's guitar heart.gif it. Gonna listen to it right now new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

troutman trink39.gif

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Archived