Question Re : A Show Of Hands Video

madra sneachta

This weekend, I finally managed to track down and burrow a copy of ASOH on video and watched it for the first time. Disgraceful, I know, but you try finding a copy of it in rural Ireland!!!!!!.

My question is during La Villa, it's clear that Alex is saying something (an early rant??), but the vocal is blocked with a producer's warning that's it's been done in the interests of "audience sensitivity". confused13.gif

My guess is it's a copyright issue, and he's quoting/singing something that they couldn't get clearance for afterwards.

Can anyone comment/confirm??

Thanks.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Feb 7 2005, 03:55 AM)
This weekend, I finally managed to track down and burrow a copy of ASOH on video and watched it for the first time. Disgraceful, I know, but you try finding a copy of it in rural Ireland!!!!!!.

My question is during La Villa, it's clear that Alex is saying something (an early rant??), but the vocal is blocked with a producer's warning that's it's been done in the interests of "audience sensitivity". confused13.gif

My guess is it's a copyright issue, and he's quoting/singing something that they couldn't get clearance for afterwards.

Can anyone comment/confirm??

Thanks.

I've always wondered the same. However, I believe Slaine said in a much earlier posting that he was at that show and all that came of out Alex's mouth was gibberish. Of course - Slaine we need you here, buddy. Yes??? No???

I think they threw that warning on the screen as a joke. It certainly had my friend and I baffled. laugh.gif

Edited for my btw...

btw: How cool you finally got your hands on ASOH. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif What did you think of the rest of the video? This was the first live show I saw of the band - before I ever saw them live. My friend and I wore out the tape from watching it so many freakin' times. I was never so blown away. applaudit.gif

I think it says, Paddy cake paddy cake bakers man, babies gonna have red cheeks.

trink38.gif

From what I've read and heard over the years, this was simply a joke.. Alex was up there spouting gibberish and his mic wasn't even turned on..!! They did the warning thing as a joke.. Just more Rush sense of humor I guess.

2.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Feb 7 2005, 02:02 PM)
From what I've read and heard over the years, this was simply a joke.. Alex was up there spouting gibberish and his mic wasn't even turned on..!! They did the warning thing as a joke.. Just more Rush sense of humor I guess.

2.gif

laugh.gif Earthshine, great post, I said the same thing!!! laugh.gif Great minds, eh? wink.gif

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Feb 7 2005, 11:15 AM)
From what I've read and heard over the years, this was simply a joke..  Alex was up there spouting gibberish and his mic wasn't even turned on..!!  They did the warning thing as a joke..  Just more Rush sense of humor I guess.

2.gif

laugh.gif Earthshine, great post, I said the same thing!!! laugh.gif Great minds, eh? wink.gif

Hey sorry, I didn't mean to repeat what you said!! ohmy.gif I didn't really read the whole thread before responding.. One of my habits.. doh.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Feb 7 2005, 02:25 PM)
QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Feb 7 2005, 11:15 AM)
From what I've read and heard over the years, this was simply a joke..  Alex was up there spouting gibberish and his mic wasn't even turned on..!!  They did the warning thing as a joke..  Just more Rush sense of humor I guess.

2.gif

Hey sorry, I didn't mean to repeat what you said!! ohmy.gif I didn't really read the whole thread before responding.. One of my habits.. doh.gif

laugh.gif HEY!! I wuz first I wuz first!! laugh.gif

Madra, this is from a Rush fan site:

What is happening during the "censored" section of the A Show Of Hands video?

"That's kind of a joke, but it doesn't seem like many people are getting that joke. Actually, Alex, at certain parts of that song, would just start rambling into the microphone - all kinds of various nonsense, and it actually never got recorded anywhere. So no one had any idea, including him, what he had actually said. But we loved the shot of him just ranting into this microphone, so we decided we would put up this bogus 'radioactive' warning about the fact that we had 'censored' what he had said, and we thought we did it in kind of an obvious way - it looked like it was phony, because we put the radioactivity symbols right on the screen, but nobody seems to be getting that." - Geddy Lee, in the 12/4/89 "Rockline" interview

Alex laughs. "I'm not singing, it's more spontaneous babbling! You get kinda goofy at the end of a show, especially near the end of a lengthy tour. That was just crazy rambling, verbal farting. It was Geddy's idea to put it on the video." - Alex Lifeson, in the April 1992 Kerrang interview

http://www.nimitz.net/rush/faq3ans.html#123

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Feb 7 2005, 06:16 PM)
Hmmm.....

*thoughtful pose*

So, Earthshine, Pags and I were correct, eh?  biggrin.gif

But, of course. I wouldn't expect anything less from you guys.

edit: geez, I can't even spell one sentence without an error doh.gif

I think the question has been pretty much answered but, for clarity, here's my recollections as, has been said, I was there when the ASoH video was filmed.

The mic was turned on and there was complete and utter gibberish coming out (as my two children hadn't been born at that time, I wasn't fluent in gibberish then). When I got hold of the video, I couldn't stop laughing at that segment - whether it was because of the joke message on screen or because I was remembering all these weird noises, I'm not sure. But, there you go.

And as a prize - the 3 of us get a DVD copy of the RCMH R30 show!!!

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO

653.gif 653.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 653.gif 653.gif

2.gif

I've heard the same thing.

Archived