The New Rush Album

afansince74

I was pondering this the other day....

Since the begining, Rush has always had a 'formula' for going into the studio and recording...

(from the VT tourbook):

"That was an important difference in the way we made this record(VT), compared to any in the past. We used to spend a period of time working on the songwriting, arranging, and our individual parts, then do some last-minute preproduction work with a coproducer before moving to a big-time studio to start the "official" recording. The pressure this imposed on us could be productive, and in particular I found that it could often drive me to a level of performance I hadn't reached before, but this time we wanted to do it differently-more gradually, with more time for revision and renovations."

So, what I was thinking was 'How are they going to do it this time?' Are they gonna revert back to their 'old ways' of recording, or are they gonna embrace the "more time for revision and renovations" method they used to make VT? Or a combination of the two? confused13.gif What do you think they'll do this time?

I'm hoping for the old way, myself. Purely selfish... because it would mean the least amount of time till a NEW RUSH ALBUM and TOUR!!!! yes.gif What do you think?

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Feb 5 2005, 01:49 PM)
Since the begining, Rush has always had a 'formula' for going into the studio and recording...

(from the VT tourbook):

"That was an important difference in the way we made this record(VT), compared to any in the past. We used to spend a period of time working on the songwriting, arranging, and our individual parts, then do some last-minute preproduction work with a coproducer before moving to a big-time studio to start the "official" recording. The pressure this imposed on us could be productive, and in particular I found that it could often drive me to a level of performance I hadn't reached before, but this time we wanted to do it differently-more gradually, with more time for revision and renovations."

So, what I was thinking was 'How are they going to do it this time?' Are they gonna revert back to their 'old ways' of recording, or are they gonna embrace the "more time for revision and renovations" method they used to make VT? Or a combination of the two? confused13.gif What do you think they'll do this time?

I'm hoping for the old way, myself. Purely selfish... because it would mean the least amount of time till a NEW RUSH ALBUM and TOUR!!!! yes.gif What do you think?

I hope it isn't over-produced as some recent studio albums have. I'd like to hear something along the lines of Hemispheres again, with an epic mega-track on it. Something they haven't ventured into since the early 80's.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Feb 5 2005, 07:04 PM)
What I would love to see is have them go back to their epic days, but instead of making one really long epic song, make the whole album flow together and tell a story using multiple songs...

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif ooh kazz, don't tempt me. This might be asking a bit too much biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Feb 5 2005, 07:32 PM)
Guitar, bass, drums, vocals and maybe keyboards. confused13.gif

Keyboards? What are they? laugh.gif I remember keyboards.

I'm stopping at this tonight (American Independence year). Gonna watch the rest of Poltergeist III, then off to bed. Night night everyone.

I have learned to trust them. Whatever they do, however they do it. That's what will make me happy.

The presence of a good engineer throughout the tracking process this time would probably be a good way to get things off on the right foot. cool.gif

Here are my hopes fr the new album:

1. Record it Feedback-style so it gets done fast and sounds more...organic, is that what Geddy said?

2. Write another epic

3. Bring back the synths, but more like they were on the late 70s/early 80s albums...adding texture instead of dominating the songs

4. Bring back the starman in the artwork...

I'll think of more later.

I seriously dont see them doing an epic type song. They havent done one since The Camera Eye, all of 23 years ago, and I highly doubt that they will try to do something along those lines again. I am also in agreement with PuppetKing with bringing back the synths a little bit. They dont need to go all out with them like they did in the 80's, but it would be nice to hear a little taste of it as in a rhythm section of a few songs. As far as studio length, I have a feeling they are going to take thier time with the next one, they are no longer under any pressure whatsoever by any company I dont think. They have already made thier comeback, and the pressure to gain back thier popularity among thier fans has been accomplished. The only pressure they have now is the pressure they are going to put on themselves.

Lyrically, I see Neil writing a lot of songs without a theme tying most of the songs together. Not like Vapor Trails, where all of the songs and the album tied together which had the theme of perserverance or introspective growth. I see the next album being lyrically more akin to Test For Echo, none of the songs on that album really had anything to do with the next. Unless some outside circumstances are posing itself onto the band, I think thats where the album will go. As far as the music, I would rather hear more a more intense sound like what was present on Vapor Trails, I have a feeling that they may drop a bit on the layering but still retain an intense sound.

However it is, I am sure I will enjoy it biggrin.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Rush's constant drive with new albums has been to come up up with something totally new. What ever happens to come next, I expect it to be wierd and strange. At least for the first 20 times of listening and studying every note. Then, after it all sinks in, my usual thoughts are......Hey, that's pretty cool!

QUOTE (PrimeMover @ Feb 5 2005, 08:25 PM)
Rush's constant drive with new albums has been to come up up with something totally new. What ever happens to come next, I expect it to be wierd and strange. At least for the first 20 times of listening and studying every note. Then, after it all sinks in, my usual thoughts are......Hey, that's pretty cool!

welcome Prime Mover trink39.gif This is a great board. You'll like it here!

QUOTE (PrimeMover @ Feb 5 2005, 08:25 PM)

Welcome. Excellent post!! trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (PrimeMover @ Feb 5 2005, 05:25 PM)

Exactly!!!!

2.gif

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Feb 5 2005, 01:49 PM)

(from the VT tourbook):

So, what I was thinking was 'How are they going to do it this time?'  Are they gonna revert back to their 'old ways' of recording, or are they gonna embrace the "more time for revision and renovations" method they used to make VT?  Or a combination of the two?  confused13.gif  What do you think they'll do this time?

I'm hoping for the old way, myself.  Purely selfish... because it would mean the least amount of time till a NEW RUSH ALBUM and TOUR!!!! yes.gif What do you think?

2.gif

Well, with all the technologies we have now: let the fans have their say before bringing up the new album. Why not share possible tracks for the new album with fan's prior to making up the next album. Reading the Rush Forum I see a lot of people that are very experienced Rush fans. They have all kinds of wishes and dreams. Let's make the coming album a joint effort!

I like the way Marillion made their latest album: the fans could choose their fav tracks. They paid in advance (Marillion was out of money probably) and they got an album they in fact co-produced.

NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif AlexFinal.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

2.gif

NB

QUOTE (PrimeMover @ Feb 6 2005, 01:30 AM)
Thanks for the warm welcome!!!

I am pleasantly suprised having come across this site. It seems like a great place!
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the forum! Also, whatever method they use, I just hope it gets done soon and they start touring again!

I personally hope they take their time and end up with a truly inspired piece of work ( albeit different as they all are). No muddy poorly mixed albums with 10-12 3 minute songs, PLEEZ! But, after all it's 2.gif .....who's one to complain?

One more thing..no keyboards....and..and...and...

Picky things.aren't we?

trink39.gif

Archived