Categorize my band...help

This Not a plug or post bump for my band.

This is a serious issue that I have when someone asks me, "what kind of music do you guys play?"

I don't have an answer to this question, and never have. It really bothers me that I can't put our band into any certain genre or category. So I need your help TRF.

Go to http://www.sweetnastyband.com and listen to the tracks on the Audio page. Please post back what you think the "genre" of my band is. Or at least help me answer the "what kind of music do you play" question.

Sounds stupid but I'm really at a loss here.

Thank You!

Why'd you have to ask that? laugh.gif

As I was listening to the songs, I kept thinking, "What kind of music is this? What genre does it fall into?" I couldn't answer that! And I'd take that as a compliment. It means you're making some original-sounding music.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jun 19 2008, 08:53 PM)
Sorry, I can't get the page to load. Tried 4 times and the closest I got was 27% loaded.

I was having trouble also.......

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 19 2008, 06:42 PM)
Why'd you have to ask that? laugh.gif

As I was listening to the songs, I kept thinking, "What kind of music is this? What genre does it fall into?" I couldn't answer that! And I'd take that as a compliment. It means you're making some original-sounding music.

I know!! It's very original and doesn't sound like anyone, which is a great thing. But still there has to be an answer to that question.

Website Issues? Try again now please. There was a power outage a while ago and our server was down for a bit. It's back online now.

Thanks again.

I would say you guys might be considered adult contemporary, for lack of a better term.

Yeah, I uploaded some tracks to TRF Musicians and they seemed to upload ok but trying to download them is barely a trickle. Is that the same server?

Sorry guys, the entire grid went down in Northern Arizona yesterday and is just now coming back. The server seems to be at or near 100% back, so try again.

Sorry for any problems.

Please listen and help me answer the question "what kind of music do you guys play".

Sweet Nasty

Yes, this is a bump to get above all the Moonlight threads that really aren't about a finished band with a finished product ! cool.gif

Edited by launchpad67a

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 20 2008, 02:12 PM)
I would say you guys might be considered adult contemporary, for lack of a better term.

There HAS to be a better term for these guys than Adult Contemporary. They might technically fit into that category, but that genre brings to mind artists like Madonna, Fall Out Boy, Beyonce...doesn't seem right to lump Sweet Nasty in with those "safe," corporate-sponsored artists.

It's tough because from song to song, there are different styles being covered. "I'm a Roman Candle" has a bit of a swing feel (or rockabilly?). "Mojo Devils Claw" (my favorite) is kinda like a slightly less funky and more rocking Dave Matthews song. "Road to Hell" has a Spanish pop flavor.

Gotta be something better than AC...

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 25 2008, 01:27 AM)
Please listen and help me answer the question "what kind of music do you guys play".
Sweet Nasty

Yes, this is a bump to get above all the Moonlight threads that really aren't about a finished band with a finished product ! cool.gif

laugh.gif

Yea we're getting there though and I think we have the same problem as you! I cant think of what our band is either!

I guess I'd say your band...has made a NEW GENRE! yes.gif

I like all six of these songs, but there's something about "Mojo Devils Claw" that really sticks. I love the groove and the vocal melodies and the guitar work (very cool solo!).

As for TRFers who are in bands producing original music, this stuff definitely sets the standard. This is pro-caliber original music, expertly written and played by pros.

Rock for the most part. Like any band, your influences are drawn in. You could almost be adult oriented rock. Still, very original sounding.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 25 2008, 10:20 AM)
I like all six of these songs, but there's something about "Mojo Devils Claw" that really sticks. I love the groove and the vocal melodies and the guitar work (very cool solo!).

As for TRFers who are in bands producing original music, this stuff definitely sets the standard. This is pro-caliber original music, expertly written and played by pros.

Thank you !! That means so much coming from you as I've always trusted your opinion and ear.

I'm glad you made that comment about TRFers original music, because coming from me it would sound too conceited. Although it's honestly the way I feel as well.

Amazing that my original music threads get like 50 hits, while others who don't offer anything nearly this pro get 100's of hits and replies.

Oh well.

Thanks again everyone for helping me with this question.

Yeah, I'm still looking for that perfect answer to the question everyone asks me and the entire band..."what kind of music do you guys play?".

I wish I could say something like, "we are a cross between ??? and ??? with a little ??? thrown in". Or something like that.

To answer the question with, "we play rock", or "we play alternative", just doesn't cut it. Needs to be more descriptive or people have no idea what you mean by "rock" or 'alt" or a genre based reply. Know what I mean?

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 26 2008, 03:03 PM)
Yeah, I'm still looking for that perfect answer to the question everyone asks me and the entire band..."what kind of music do you guys play?".

I wish I could say something like, "we are a cross between ??? and ??? with a little ??? thrown in". Or something like that.

To answer the question with, "we play rock", or "we play alternative", just doesn't cut it. Needs to be more descriptive or people have no idea what you mean by "rock" or 'alt" or a genre based reply. Know what I mean?

Well, what styles are incorporated in your music? Let's start there.

Rock

Pop

R&B

Alternative (is that actually a style of music?)

Ska

Swing

Latin

Any of those wrong? Did I miss any?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 26 2008, 01:47 PM)

Rock

Pop

R&B

Ska

Swing

Latin

Yep, that pretty much covers it.

I think we should move this thread to MoTS. Most non-musicians tend to avoid this forum, and maybe we'd get more suggestions from the many knowledgable music fans out there?

If you don't want to move it out of this forum, maybe make a second one for MoTS?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 26 2008, 04:47 PM)

Rock

Pop

R&B

Ska

Swing

Latin

Rockabilly