Hold Your Fire

Alex

QUOTE (Fallen Catkin @ Sep 12 2008, 06:30 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 8 2008, 12:38 PM)
I bought it the day of release - the vinyl album that is. It would be my last Rush album vinyl purchase.

I went to the mall early that day and it wasn't in the bin yet. So I went to lunch and went back later. I was so excited!

That brilliant red cover stood out among all the other Rush covers. I mean, you couldn't miss it.

I turned the album over and saw that there were 10 songs on it as opposed to the usual 8 songs.

WRDU, our local (now defunct) hard rock and classic rock station premiered "Force Ten", "Time Stand Still", "Mission", and "Turn the Page" two weeks prior to the release in order to promote it. Those were the days.

I remember hearing "Time Stand Still" on the radio first and wondering who the female vocalist was and thinking it could have been Suzanne Vega. The voice was too whispery to be recognizable.

I also remember loving all 4 tunes before buying the album and knowing that I would love the entire thing.

hug2.gif That was really sincere, really sweet. I'm happy you loved it, having only just discovered it I feel the same!

Oh yeah!

When I brought it home to listen to, I remember especially looking forward to hearing "Open Secrets" for the first time. I had heard "Force Ten" and "Time Stand Still" enough. Of course I still really loved those tunes, but was eager to hear something that hadn't been on the radio.

I got chills at the very opening of the song.

It's so rare to hear an album and love it start to finish.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved that red-on-red cover when I first saw it in the record store. It seemed so... different for Rush. (Different for any band, until Billy Joel released his Live in Leningrad album. Rush did it first, though.) I also thought the choice to add a female vocalist on b-vox was unusual... and that was cool!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ybEVA%2BQiL._SL500_AA240_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/316VRKKF49L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

GR,

I remember thinking before seeing the album in the store that it would be red and black since 2112 and MP were red and black mostly - each of these being the 4 studio album after a live album and before the next live album.

And I was right, but with a surprise twist. This time the dominant color was red whereas 2112 and MP the dominant color was black.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 12 2008, 08:16 AM)
QUOTE (Fallen Catkin @ Sep 12 2008, 06:30 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 8 2008, 12:38 PM)
I bought it the day of release - the vinyl album that is. It would be my last Rush album vinyl purchase.

I went to the mall early that day and it wasn't in the bin yet. So I went to lunch and went back later. I was so excited!

That brilliant red cover stood out among all the other Rush covers. I mean, you couldn't miss it.

I turned the album over and saw that there were 10 songs on it as opposed to the usual 8 songs.

WRDU, our local (now defunct) hard rock and classic rock station premiered "Force Ten", "Time Stand Still", "Mission", and "Turn the Page" two weeks prior to the release in order to promote it. Those were the days.

I remember hearing "Time Stand Still" on the radio first and wondering who the female vocalist was and thinking it could have been Suzanne Vega. The voice was too whispery to be recognizable.

I also remember loving all 4 tunes before buying the album and knowing that I would love the entire thing.

hug2.gif That was really sincere, really sweet. I'm happy you loved it, having only just discovered it I feel the same!

Oh yeah!

When I brought it home to listen to, I remember especially looking forward to hearing "Open Secrets" for the first time. I had heard "Force Ten" and "Time Stand Still" enough. Of course I still really loved those tunes, but was eager to hear something that hadn't been on the radio.

I got chills at the very opening of the song.

It's so rare to hear an album and love it start to finish.

haha I'd heard Force Ten and Time Stand Still before I'm in love with Open Secrets at the mo! I get chills at the opening too! 2.gif

Archived