Hold Your Fire

Alex

Well, when I first became a 2.gif fan and joined the forum and all, I would always notice a lot of people bashing HYF and the songs within. Now, I didn't like it at first but after a while I gave it more of a chance, starting with Prime Mover.

This album is very powerful and now Prime Mover is actualy one of my favourite 2.gif songs. I am not forcing my opinion on anyone else I just wanted to hear reasons why some people dont particularly like this album. I am just curious. So feedback is appreciated, please no "hate" messages.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't always love that album. In fact originally the only songs I liked were Time Stand Still, Tai Shan and High Water... Which might seem particularly strange because most criticism about the album is directed at those three tracks.

Like you I put in the time and effort and allowed it to grow on me and while I essentially prefer Power Windows I think its more than a worthy follow-up and certainly one of the best Rush ever put out.

I still deserve a good kicking for rejecting Mission for so long, that song now stands as one of the most played of all time on my iTunes. The lyrics are amazing. In fact that goes for most of Hold Your Fire actually, the lyrics are incredible, some of the best Neil ever wrote in my opinion.

I was really really shocked to see on the "Your least favourite Rush album" thread that this was receiving a significant amount of votes, I'm not sure how stuff stands there at the moment but last time I checked it was actually in the lead as the overall worst Rush album... ahead of Feedback!

It took me three years to get into HYF.

For the longest time, I thought these were Neil's wimpiest lyrics.

"I don't wanna face the killer instinct, face it in you or me."

I also didn't care for the near acapella at the beginning of Mission. My first reaction was "OMG! Geddy is trying to be 80's singer guy or make a stab at boy band vocals."

Of course, things have changed over time. I gained a better understanding of it when I realized my machismo was interfering with appreciation of the album.

tongue.gif

No hate from me, I actually like this album and listen to it regular basis.

My favourite tracks are "Force Ten" and "Turn The Page", mainly because of there upbeat tempo and feel.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 18 2008, 02:34 PM)

I also didn't care for the near acapella at the beginning of Mission. My first reaction was "OMG! Geddy is trying to be 80's singer guy or make a stab at boy band vocals."

Of course, things have changed over time. I gained a better understanding of it when I realized my machismo was interfering with appreciation of the album.

tongue.gif

This reminds me of something I read a while back. I was shocked beyond belief when someone (I forgot who) claimed that;

"We each pay a fabulous price for our visions of Paradise..." was one of the worst lyrics Neil ever penned.

Guess all I can do is use the old "Guess it just goes to show" cliche. Different stuff effects different people in different ways and that one certainly hits me hard. Cold shivers everytime.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jun 18 2008, 09:37 AM)

tongue.gif

This reminds me of something I read a while back. I was shocked beyond belief when someone (I forgot who) claimed that;

"We each pay a fabulous price for our visions of Paradise..." was one of the worst lyrics Neil ever penned.

Guess all I can do is use the old "Guess it just goes to show" cliche. Different stuff effects different people in different ways and that one certainly hits me hard. Cold shivers everytime.

Oh, you got that right with me! yes.gif

How about the outro solo? Just wow.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 18 2008, 08:34 AM)

tongue.gif

I think thats what thow a lot of people off of it. Everyone loves 2.gif but HYF showed a more sensitive side to them.

My favorite album. I don't limit my interests to "kick ass" rock. The synthesizer is no less an instrument than a guitar.

I love the lyrics and emotion that pour from that album. The album is positive and introspective.

When it comes to Rush, I don't accept blandness, which showed up later on in their catalog.

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Jun 18 2008, 01:39 PM)

tongue.gif

My favourite Alex solo, apart from Return Of the Prince

Because it's shit and I hate it.

I actually did like it at first, must have been an 80s thing, that and it being my first Rush CD for my first CD player. Looking back on it now it's just so thin, not enough body to it at all. It's too synthy, not enough crunchy guitar.

I'd love to give an in depth write up of my negative feelings to HYF, but it's just too lame to bother with.

Now where's me wellies, I'm off for a paddle in the Fountain of lamneth, if I can find my Way

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Jun 18 2008, 09:46 AM)
HYF = AWESOME

the only songs i dont like are Lock & Key and Tai Shan

Interesting you should say that. I like those two songs, but they are at the bottom.

QUOTE (nic2112nic @ Jun 18 2008, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Jun 18 2008, 01:39 PM)

tongue.gif

My favourite Alex solo, apart from Return Of the Prince

Return Of The Prince! Yeah sure this is the wrong thread to be going on about that but truly that is one of the most melodic, beautiful, uplifting guitar solos ever. In fact that whole section of The Necromancer is that way, very moving chord progression. Me and my friend would often jam that piece when we were skipping Music Technology lessons back in my first year at college, even though I was only really playing bass it was very easy to just slip into that piece, he'd be soloing me playing the bass part; we could go on for like 30 minutes at a time just playing that piece. Truly awesome.

QUOTE (Alex @ Jun 18 2008, 08:28 AM)
Well, when I first became a 2.gif fan and joined the forum and all, I would always notice a lot of people bashing HYF and the songs within. Now, I didn't like it at first but after a while I gave it more of a chance, starting with Prime Mover.

This album is very powerful and now Prime Mover is actualy one of my favourite 2.gif songs. I am not forcing my opinion on anyone else I just wanted to hear reasons why some people dont particularly like this album. I am just curious. So feedback is appreciated, please no "hate" messages.

I've always like HYF a lot. Time Stand Still was the first song that really got me into them in the first place. Force Ten is a classic IMO.

The last 2 songs are a lot weaker than the first 8 to me, but when you have 8 out of 10 great songs that's what I'd call one excellent album.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jun 18 2008, 08:59 AM)
QUOTE (Alex @ Jun 18 2008, 08:28 AM)
Well, when I first became a  2.gif fan and joined the forum and all, I would always notice a lot of people bashing HYF and the songs within. Now, I didn't like it at first but after a while I gave it more of a chance, starting with Prime Mover.

This album is very powerful and now Prime Mover is actualy one of my favourite  2.gif songs. I am not forcing my opinion on anyone else I just wanted to hear reasons why some people dont particularly like this album. I am just curious. So feedback is appreciated, please no "hate" messages.

I've always like HYF a lot. Time Stand Still was the first song that really got me into them in the first place. Force Ten is a classic IMO.

The last 2 songs are a lot weaker than the first 8 to me, but when you have 8 out of 10 great songs that's what I'd call one excellent album.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (KenCleanAirsystem @ Jun 18 2008, 08:45 AM)
Because it's shit and I hate it.

I actually did like it at first, must have been an 80s thing, that and it being my first Rush CD for my first CD player. Looking back on it now it's just so thin, not enough body to it at all. It's too synthy, not enough crunchy guitar.
I'd love to give an in depth write up of my negative feelings to HYF, but it's just too lame to bother with.

Now where's me wellies, I'm off for a paddle in the Fountain of lamneth, if I can find my Way

Well I'll say Alex's guitar is for sure a bit too whimpy-sounding, but the songs themselves are great.

To quickly compare, listen to the HYF Mission and then the one from S&A Live. The guitar sounds so much better and way more kick ass on S&A Live. THIS is why they need to bust out Open Secrets or Lock and Key next tour!

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 18 2008, 09:03 AM)
HYF is nowhere near my favorite album musically. But lyrically I think it's the best overall.

Thats a very fair statement. The lyrics on this album are very deep!

i just plain don't like it trink39.gif

I agree with the comments that this is a very strong album lyrically, and I really like HYF overall also.

I'm one of the 8 or 9 people who like Lock and Key...I have always connected with that song...something about the sound!

Open Secrets and Prime Mover are really excellent songs, and again the lyrics are fantastic! I never quite connected with Force Ten...

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Jun 18 2008, 09:36 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 18 2008, 09:26 AM)
i just plain don't like it trink39.gif

hmmm....i guess its a love/hate album.

i think so also. i have listened to it over and over since it came out. not my cup of tea trink39.gif

QUOTE (Alex @ Jun 18 2008, 09:40 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 18 2008, 08:34 AM)

tongue.gif

I think thats what thow a lot of people off of it. Everyone loves 2.gif but HYF showed a more sensitive side to them.

I think you're on to something, but not completely. I like their 'manly' stuff more, but I also like/love (off the top of my head) Entre Nous, Different Strings, Losing It, Mystic Rythms, The Pass and Available Light which are all 'sensitive' songs. And I also enjoy very much their poppy/dancy/synthy stuff from Signals, GUP and to a lesser extent PoW.

I liked HYF when it first came out but what I hear when I listen to it now, it's just not as compatible with my listening pleasure as other Rush albums or other music in general.

It sounds dated in parts (and not in a good way such as their first album) and it sounds just too positive and uplifting at times-- it may as well be a Celine Dion album. I'm surprised she hasn't covered Mission yet which already sounds like her song, but with Geddy on vocals instead.

Since I don't have access to my copy at the moment, could someone please point me to a site that has the Album Credits/Info on it? I've just noticed the name Andy Richards in the Show Of Hands tour programme story of the making of HYF, and I wonder if it's the same Andy Richards I've worked with.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Archived