Glenn Hughes anyone ?

Wartypig

QUOTE (Wartypig @ Jun 10 2008, 04:53 PM)
Went to see him the other night and was blown away......The mans voice is as good as it was back in the seventies....What a showman.

I got his last album, Music for the Divine, it's pretty good...

I mostly listen to Glenn on Deep Purple albums though...

• Like 1

very underrated singer in my book
  • Like 1

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 10 2008, 11:47 PM)
very underrated singer in my book

You're not wrong there....Got myself a few snaps from the show...

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/leemillward/Glenn%20Hughes%206-6-08/DSC_0898.jpg

• Like 1

Ressurrecting this thread just to say that I finished Glenn´s autobiography in TWO DAYS!!! It´s a great book, where he tells his tale from middle class beginnings to forming Trapeze to the great days of Deep Purple and his steep descent into cocaine hell - in the 80´s he couldn´t manage to put together the sequel to Hughes/Thrall´s firts album, got fired by Gary Moore and Tony Iommi, put his house on fire and burned many bridges, until he finally decided to get sober in the 90´s. Glenn is one of my favourite singers of all time, and a lucky s.o.b. for doing an Everest-sized mountain of coke and still have such an amazing voice. I´ve seen him four times since 1998, and he always delivered!

Ressurrecting this thread just to say that I finished Glenn´s autobiography in TWO DAYS!!! It´s a great book, where he tells his tale from middle class beginnings to forming Trapeze to the great days of Deep Purple and his steep descent into cocaine hell - in the 80´s he couldn´t manage to put together the sequel to Hughes/Thrall´s firts album, got fired by Gary Moore and Tony Iommi, put his house on fire and burned many bridges, until he finally decided to get sober in the 90´s. Glenn is one of my favourite singers of all time, and a lucky s.o.b. for doing an Everest-sized mountain of coke and still have such an amazing voice. I´ve seen him four times since 1998, and he always delivered!

I didn't know he wrote a book. What's it called?

I like him as a compliment to Coverdale. My favorite DP albums are Burn, Stormbringer and Come Taste the Band.

Seventh Star is an awful Sabbath album. His collaborations with Iommi are boring. Black Country Communion does nothing for me. I just think Hughes is generic as a lead singer.

I like him as a compliment to Coverdale. My favorite DP albums are Burn, Stormbringer and Come Taste the Band.

Seventh Star is an awful Sabbath album. His collaborations with Iommi are boring. Black Country Communion does nothing for me. I just think Hughes is generic as a lead singer.

I´ll agree that his solo output is a bit generic - he has released one album per year, and sometimes two per year since the late 90´s, so some of it tends to be repetitive at times. But when it comes to his lead singing abilities, I have to disagree about him being generic. He´s pushing 60 now, an age when 99% of singers have their voices shot: Ozzy, Gillan, Halford, Coverdale, you name it. And he´s still able to pull of jaw-dropping highs on his voice. He still sings BUrn every night, hitting every note!

Check out this track, especially on the 01:47. 02:31 and 02:55 marks and let me know what you think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DbU8612m6U

I found California Breed to be a bit underwhelming, especially compared to Black Country Communion....which might've been legendary in time.

I like the Breed album but yeah it's nothing spectacular. I really don't get why many think BCC is so great. Their first two albums are excellent but nothing truly sticks out. Perhaps I need to go back and listen again.

I´ll agree that his solo output is a bit generic - he has released one album per year, and sometimes two per year since the late 90´s, so some of it tends to be repetitive at times. But when it comes to his lead singing abilities, I have to disagree about him being generic. He´s pushing 60 now, an age when 99% of singers have their voices shot: Ozzy, Gillan, Halford, Coverdale, you name it. And he´s still able to pull of jaw-dropping highs on his voice. He still sings BUrn every night, hitting every note!

Check out this track, especially on the 01:47. 02:31 and 02:55 marks and let me know what you think:

https://www.youtube....h?v=2DbU8612m6U

Hey Rodrigo. Merry Christmas my friend.

I don't dispute that Hughes has great range, and he appears to have kept it. As an aside, I don't love that song, no matter who does it. My complaint, to the extent I have one, is there's really nothing about Hughes' voice that would make me prefer him over any number of people with a powerful voice with range. Hughes is undoubtedly a better technical singer than Ozzy, Roth, Tyler, Johnson or Scott, etc. But there's "something" about all of them that makes me prefer their stuff over Hughes' stuff. Even the DP stuff was better when Hughes was a compliment to Coverdale, IMO. I don't think Hughes stinks. I just think he's generic. Like Tony Martin for example.

• Like 1

I see your point Rick, and I've heard other people say the same about Glenn. After reading his book, I'm glad he was able to overcome his addiction and be productive again.

One curious thing about his bio: Glenn and Ian Paice used to date twins, but Glenn's girlfriend dropped him to date (and later marry) Jon Lord!

Quite honestly...

...possibly top three vocalist for me right now, based on his work with Black Country Communion alone!

Could someone give me a few ideal next albums after BCC?

• Like 1

Gonna go explore these!

Phenomenal talent. I think it is now time for me to get started on Deep Purple as well.

Seventh Star is an awful Sabbath album

According to Iommi's autobiography Seventh Star was not meant to be a 'Sabbath' album, but the record company said it had to be released as Black Sabbath.\

And I love Glenn Huges vocals. A great singer.

I´m a maaaaan...made of MUSCLEAAAAANDBLOOOOOOOODDDD!!!!

You know I love AOR?

I kind of think that song, and the whole album, would have been better if it were a bit more metal...that is coming from me haha!

Any live recordings of that group?