Suggested Reads please

JoenataArctica

im severely interested in books about Ancient Civilization/Culture.

Im a History major in college right now and as soon as i transfer to a full blown university im minoring in archaeology, and i would like some books that could give me more knowledge on some of the following:

Sumerian Beliefs

Incan Culture/History

Mayan Culture/History

Ancient Human Civilization in general having to do with belief systems, histories, etc.

i recently got ahold of the book On The Trail of Ancient Man by Roy Chapman Andrews which was printed in 1926.

any help would be greatly appreciated

First, since you are a history major from "Navarre".... any relation to HENRY?

second, while not exactly what you specified...

I'd highly rec that you read GUNS, GERMS, And STEEL by Jared Diamond.

His theory is that it is "geographic luck" that caused the history of the last 400 years to be played out the way it has (Imperialism by Europeans and the destruction/assimilation of native cultures).

Interesting but also written by an academic, which means not too exciting.

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Jun 1 2008, 06:02 AM)

His theory is that it is "geographic luck" that caused the history of the last 400 years to be played out the way it has (Imperialism by Europeans and the destruction/assimilation of native cultures).

Good suggestion - Jared Diamond's books are excellent reads. Joseph Campbell is a great place to start, too.

Also take a look at A History of God by Karen Armstrong and, for a different and fascinating perspective, When God was a Woman by Merlin Stone. And another completely non-academic suggestion is Ishmael by Daniel Quinn which certainly gives you something to think about...

Good luck on your journey! I went from music to music history to history to anthropology in my academic career and I don't regret a single moment of it, though it took me a decade to finish an undergraduate degree laugh.gif

Although you didn't mention Aztec culture specifically, but did request books on the Mayans, then I'll assume you would be interested in Aztec titles as well. One of the best books that I have ever read was Aztec by Gary Jennings. It's historical fiction and over 1,000 plus pages but well worth it. Jennings researched the Aztec culture and history for ten years before writing this book so the detail is amazing. Trust me. If you want to escape to another world, read Aztec.

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Jun 1 2008, 07:02 AM)

i actualloy almost bought that book a few months back but realized i didnt have the money haha.

and no, i dont think i know HENRY. i know A henry however haha

QUOTE (Night Flier @ Jun 1 2008, 11:52 PM)
Although you didn't mention Aztec culture specifically, but did request books on the Mayans, then I'll assume you would be interested in Aztec titles as well. One of the best books that I have ever read was Aztec by Gary Jennings. It's historical fiction and over 1,000 plus pages but well worth it. Jennings researched the Aztec culture and history for ten years before writing this book so the detail is amazing. Trust me. If you want to escape to another world, read Aztec.

also saw this one as well. didnt buy it because it was fiction, but since

you said it was a good read, i imght have to check it out then. haha

ask your library to ged it!

I used to buy every book- I wanted a cool library at the house. Now, it makes no sense to me.

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Jun 3 2008, 09:36 AM)
ask your library to ged it!
I used to buy every book- I wanted a cool library at the house. Now, it makes no sense to me.

i guess ill have to find a library once

i move to the new house next month. i enjoy buying books for the whole library thing, so i can just have a bookcase in my room filled with awesome books, sitting in a bathrobe with a rum and coke saying "hello....ladies"

but i really do enjoy reading them.

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Jun 1 2008, 06:02 AM)

I second that......