Why was the R30 DVD cut short?

fonzbear2000

Actual setlist for the tour:

'R30 Overture' (medley, with Jerry Stiller intro film)

- Finding My Way->

- Anthem->

- Bastille Day->

- A Passage To Bangkok->

- Cygnus X-1 (Prologue)->

- Hemispheres (Prelude)

The Spirit of Radio

Force Ten

Animate

Subdivisions

Earthshine

Red Barchetta

Roll The Bones

Bravado

YYZ

The Trees (I Feel Fine & Day Tripper ending)

The Seeker

One Little Victory (with dragon intro)

(-Intermission-/'That Darned Dragon' intro)

Tom Sawyer

Dreamline

Secret Touch

Between the Wheels

Mystic Rhythms

Red Sector A

Drum Solo

Resist (acoustic)

Heart Full of Soul (acoustic)

2112 (Overture/Temples of Syrinx/Grand Finale)

La Villa Strangiato (with Lerxst rant)

By-Tor and the Snow Dog (abbreviated)->

Xanadu (abbreviated)->

Working Man (reggae ending)

Encore: Summertime Blues

Crossroads

Limelight (with Jerry Stiller outro film)

Setlist on the DVD:

R30 Overture - (Finding My Way, Anthem, Bastille Day, A Passage to Bangkok, Cygnus X-1, Hemispheres)

The Spirit of Radio

Force Ten

Animate

Subdivisions

Earthshine

Red Barchetta

Roll The Bones

The Seeker

Tom Sawyer

Dreamline

Between the Wheels

Mystic Rhythms

Der Trommler

Resist

Heart Full of Soul

2112 (Overture/Temples of Syrinx/Grand Finale)

Xanadu (abbreviated version which contains shortened introduction, "prologue" lyrics and first verse before the ending guitar solo that is usually performed after the lyrics end)

Working Man

Summertime Blues

Crossroads

Limelight

Why were songs left off of the R30 DVD?

Edited by fonzbear2000

I remember reading that Geddy Lee said they were worried the setlist was too similar to the Rush in Rio DVD, so they decided to edit out some songs. He also said they regretted it and someday they may release the entire concert on DVD.

QUOTE (farcryoverspilledmilk @ May 30 2008, 07:57 PM)
Has nothing to do with a time issue at all. The rest of the show is being saved for Blu-Ray discs when it is released on that format in about 2 years...ditto the GUP concert that will be released for the first time in its entirety.

What about us poor folks who can't afford Blu Ray? sad.gif

QUOTE (fonzbear2000 @ May 30 2008, 08:11 PM)
Has nothing to do with a time issue at all. The rest of the show is being saved for Blu-Ray discs when it is released on that format in about 2 years...ditto the GUP concert that will be released for the first time in its entirety.

I got a feeling 2 years from now they'll be affordable 653.gif

ditto the GUP concert that will be released for the first time in its entirety.

I'd love for you to be right but I'm pretty sure there's virtually no chance we'll ever see any of the three 1980s concerts in their entirety.

As for the R30 show, time/space considerations have nothing to do with it. I think it's fairly likely that some or all of those songs will be put back for the eventual high definition version. Here's Geddy's comments about it:

"Some of the songs were dropped from R30 due to technical reasons but also we didn't want to have too many similarities with Rush In Rio. Why not? Well, I think now that it was a dumb decision of ours. In fact I regret not having put the whole show on those disks. But I promise you, all those songs that were cut will eventually see the light of day, in some shape or form." - Geddy Lee, Aardschok Magazine, March 2006

QUOTE (Lerxist @ May 30 2008, 09:15 PM)

Yeah, it seems Blu Ray will be the consumer standard. The prices should come down.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 30 2008, 08:32 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxist @ May 30 2008, 09:15 PM)

Yeah, it seems Blu Ray will be the consumer standard. The prices should come down.

yes.gif

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ May 31 2008, 03:06 PM)
QUOTE (JoenataArctica @ May 31 2008, 04:02 PM)
blue ray can go to hell angry.gif

Bought an HD-DVD player, did you?

...yeah

QUOTE (JoenataArctica @ May 31 2008, 04:30 PM)
...yeah

That's why I waited for the end of the format war. Beta taught me a thing or 2 about competing formats. Some retailers are offering money to trade in your HD-DVD for (very limited) money back. You might want to investigate what (if anything) you can get in unloading it - because in all honesty, outside of being a future collectible, it's going to do nothing but lose value. I'm waiting for the price of BluRay to come down. And now Microsoft is saying that the future isn't in discs, but in downloading. Guess there heart really wasn't in HD-DVD, then. tongue.gif

QUOTE (farcryoverspilledmilk @ May 31 2008, 01:57 AM)

Bollox!

QUOTE (Docmilsap @ May 31 2008, 08:08 PM)
QUOTE (farcryoverspilledmilk @ May 31 2008, 01:57 AM)

Bollox!

Shall we wager this little comment of yours? Cash? Tickets? Swag?

You choose...because the full GUP WILL come out in its entirety.

Edited by farcryoverspilledmilk

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 30 2008, 08:30 PM)
ditto the GUP concert that will be released for the first time in its entirety.

I'd love for you to be right but I'm pretty sure there's virtually no chance we'll ever see any of the three 1980s concerts in their entirety.

As for the R30 show, time/space considerations have nothing to do with it. I think it's fairly likely that some or all of those songs will be put back for the eventual high definition version. Here's Geddy's comments about it:

"Some of the songs were dropped from R30 due to technical reasons but also we didn't want to have too many similarities with Rush In Rio. Why not? Well, I think now that it was a dumb decision of ours. In fact I regret not having put the whole show on those disks. But I promise you, all those songs that were cut will eventually see the light of day, in some shape or form." - Geddy Lee, Aardschok Magazine, March 2006

Since I see you are a man who likes to cite sources for quotes I will go with this one, from the man who is putting the full GUP concert together:

The news is obviously going to make every Rush fan shine from Bangkok to Lakeside Park in Canada, but Lamoureux insists it only gets better from here.

"For obvious reasons I can't get into every detail about the band's business and future but I can assure you the concerts that we are re-releasing are not straight VHS to DVD transfers. These are color touched, remastered, and re-mixed in 5.1 stereo and we are deciding which extras we will add to each in the coming days. We are basically done with everything except the extras and that decision lies with the band.

Lamoureux reveals that the "Grace Under Pressure" DVD in particular might hold special surprises for fans down the road; some suprises, never thought to be possible.

"We found the footage for 'Grace'," Lamoureux says.

"The concerts will be released in the same format as the original releases including track listing and running time of the actual concert. But down the road when Blue-Ray technology becomes more popular and we are able to extend things out to levels beyond where we are at currently...we can then go back and release the found footage that was not on the original release."

Lamoureux adds that the frustration of the job has been finding the footage to begin with. As a matter of fact, he is asking for any information leading to people who worked on the crews of the filming of "Exit Stage Left..." and "A Show of Hands" to please come forward and contact them.

"We know someone has the film from those shows... we just need to get them at this point. It could be someone who worked with a former producer, a film crew member... anyone at this point. We didn't expect to find the 'Grace Under Pressure stuff... and we did.'"

http://www.echoesofoldapplause.com/r30/r30dvd01.htm

Fogo Labs of Canada has every single piece of video and audio in Rush's archive.

Yes, that story obviously came out well before the Replay dvd was released. If you simply make up something out of thin air it will have more credibility than anything Douglas Maher has ever written. The man is a borderline nutcase, I have followed his rants and nonsense ever since the only presence Rush had on the internet was the old alt.rush group. He has fabricated more stuff than you can imagine, pissed off whole communities, has been booted off of messageboards, invented interviews out of thin air, and just generally been a complete jackass.

Like I said, I hope you're right but I would bet almost anything that we'll never see any more of those concerts than what is on Replay (except maybe they'll realize that Lock and Key was cut from ASOH and give it to us as a bonus at some point). The idea that they're waiting for Blue-ray technology so that they can extend decades-old concerts past an hour in length is absolutely hilarious.

if the full gup comes out in its entirety...do you people realize we will get to watch them play Subdivisions, Between the Wheels, The Body Electric, red lenses, and a Drum Solo?! ohmy.gif

and either AFTERIMAGE OR KID GLOVES ?!?!

Don't get your hopes up Tarkus, I want the rest of that footage as much as anybody but the odds of it happening are virtually nil. That D. Maher article is the only source for that "information" and as such it is worthless. I've tried to find a way to contact Lamoureux directly to ask him if he was even interviewed but haven't had any success.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 1 2008, 05:45 PM)
Yes, that story obviously came out well before the Replay dvd was released. If you simply make up something out of thin air it will have more credibility than anything Douglas Maher has ever written. The man is a borderline nutcase, I have followed his rants and nonsense ever since the only presence Rush had on the internet was the old alt.rush group. He has fabricated more stuff than you can imagine, pissed off whole communities, has been booted off of messageboards, invented interviews out of thin air, and just generally been a complete jackass.

Like I said, I hope you're right but I would bet almost anything that we'll never see any more of those concerts than what is on Replay (except maybe they'll realize that Lock and Key was cut from ASOH and give it to us as a bonus at some point). The idea that they're waiting for Blue-ray technology so that they can extend decades-old concerts past an hour in length is absolutely hilarious.

Well I have read that article and found nothing to either debate or not debate about it. I am sure if the interview never took place it wouldn't have been published by so many outlets. It seems to originate from a legit news wire source.

What would be the motive for him to post a bullshit article like that when it is mostly about the R30 disc at the time? I remember Maher's rants on CP and AMR but I haven't seen anything from him in years and although he posted some pretty extreme opinions on various topics it isn't anything we don't read on forums today. I remember a lot of his information being accurate. Not all of it but a good portion. Last I remember was he got really sick and stopped posting.

confused13.gif