My Favorite Headache

furie

Personally I think both are great solo projects, though I like My Favourite Headache just a wee little bit more wub.gif... my favorite track off the album though has to be Home on the Strange...great bass lines on it 1022.gif

A great album. Aside from the title track, my personal favs have always been Runaway Train and Grace To Grace.

I like My Favorite Headache. It's different, but it still rocks, just because Geddy Lee is so darn cool.

Favorites from the album are My Favorite Headache, The Present Tense, Home On The Strange, Slipping, and Grace To Grace.

Edited for spelling.

I thought some of the lyrics were a little weak. I know that I'm not distancing Ged's solo album enough from Rush's work though. I think of Ged, and I think of Rush, which has a very strong lyric writer in Neil. There's a reason why Ged handed over those duties once Neil joined the band.

But overall, I do enjoy the album, especially "Home" with it's bass line!

I reaaly enjoyed this album even more than I thought I would. My favorite tracks are Working at Perfekt, Grace to Grace, and Runaway Train.

What do I like about the album as a whole? Well it certainly does not sound like Rush, and that's a good thing for a solo project. Also, Geddy's voice is as smooth as ever on this album.

QUOTE (war2112 @ Feb 2 2005, 08:27 AM)
I reaaly enjoyed this album even more than I thought I would. My favorite tracks are Working at Perfekt, Grace to Grace, and Runaway Train.

What do I like about the album as a whole? Well it certainly does not sound like Rush, and that's a good thing for a solo project. Also, Geddy's voice is as smooth as ever on this album.

Working at Perfekt is a great song - whole album is excellent in my opinion new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I really like this album too. But it was great to hear anything that sounded Rush after that long, too! Overall, I thought it was a little more mellow than a typical Rush album. And, although Geddy isn't 'writing' songs for Rush, he's constantly helping Neil re-write, edit and re-word lyrics and has gained some insight to Neil's style. It was interesting to me to see just how much influence those years have had on Geddy's writing. I thought it was as good a 'freshman' performance as one might expect from Geddy!

And come on... the opening bass riff?!!! yes.gif GeddyFinal.gif Who's da man!

The whole album rocks! I love it, wheni first picked it up i thought it kind of sounded like a Rush album, but knew it was different. The title track and Still are my favs. I love Geds singing on Still.

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Feb 2 2005, 09:52 PM)
The whole album rocks! I love it, wheni first picked it up i thought it kind of sounded like a Rush album, but knew it was different. The title track and Still are my favs. I love Geds singing on Still.

ok, you inspired me to pop in this CD right now. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

OMG, Ged's solo album rules!!! I must say that I own Victor but have only listened to it 3-4 times.. It grates on me.. But Ged's .. totally awesome!! Every song!! Matt Cameron rocks!! Ben Mink RockS!! it's so different than a Rush album, yet so similar. I listen to it more than HYF, Presto, RTB....

Geddy rules!

GeddyFinal.gif

Comparing the two solo projects, IMO there are three or four tracks on Victor that are better than anything on My Favourite Headache, but MFH is a better album overall.

One problem it suffers from is that given the distinctiveness of Ged's voice and bass style (although he does explore a bit more here), the album will inevitably attract direct comparison with Rush's output. I think it stands up well, and the test of an album for me is will I put it into the car and play it from start to finish?.

Yes is the resounding answer to that.

With Victor, I might prefer a few individual songs, but a start to finish play of the album? - No way Jose!!!!!.

Favourite MFH moments - Working at Perfekt, Grace to Grace (seems to be a universal fave), Moving to Bohemia and Runaway Train.

GeddyFinal.gif

I think that "Runaway Train" is a beautiful song. I love Geddy's voice in that song, although I haven't listened to the entire album recently.

I have never listened to "Victor" because when that album came out I had a real sore spot with any of the three guys going solo. It just seemed to be very uncharacteristic of them. I heard that "Victor" sucked anyway. I can't realy say though cause I haven't given it a chance.

I think MFH is a very solid piece of work. The songs are well crafted and the musicianship is, as would be expected from Geddy, excellent. I was surprised by two things: how much I liked it and what a "Rush" sound it has. This CD really made me realize what a huge part of Rush Geddy is.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Feb 3 2005, 02:35 AM)
Comparing the two solo projects, IMO there are three or four tracks on Victor that are better than anything on My Favourite Headache, but MFH is a better album overall.

One problem it suffers from is that given the distinctiveness of Ged's voice and bass style (although he does explore a bit more here), the album will inevitably attract direct comparison with Rush's output. I think it stands up well, and the test of an album for me is will I put it into the car and play it from start to finish?.

Yes is the resounding answer to that.

With Victor, I might prefer a few individual songs, but a start to finish play of the album? - No way Jose!!!!!.

Favourite MFH moments - Working at Perfekt, Grace to Grace (seems to be a universal fave), Moving to Bohemia and Runaway Train.

GeddyFinal.gif

Agreed Madra! Victor was never a favorite of mine, but have grown to enjoy it, for the most part. Like you said though, not really a 'start-to-finish' kind of disc for me either! I've alway loved MFH. Well done and very listenable. If Rush hadn't continued(God Forbid!), I could have at least looked forward to more of Geddy's solo work.... and I still do anyway! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif yes.gif

Loved this cd! Took me a bit to warm up to some of the tracks but now I pretty much like every song. Only problem is that the case is like in 3 pieces now (maybe that was intentional?).

Grace to Grace is my favorite. I'll never forget a couple years ago when I was driving my son to daycare (he was about 4) and this was his favorite song. The drive was about 5 minutes and we'd listen to this song every day on the way. The song mapped to our drive almost perfectly and by the time we got there we'd both be screaming "Grace to graaaaaaccccceeee" together in the car and probly having other parents look strangely at us. Great bonding, let me tell you.

Lately I've been working Moving Pictures on my son and he loves Tom Sawyer and Limelight and asks me to play them alot so he can "know the song". So cute to watch him trying so hard to pronounce "alienation" and "fascination".

Yesterday, he was humming "Camera Eye" in the car and said out of the blue, "I think Rush is my favorite band." Goosebumps, man. "That's my boy," was about all I could manage to reply.

cool.gif

Schro

QUOTE (Schro @ Feb 3 2005, 12:17 PM)
Loved this cd! Took me a bit to warm up to some of the tracks but now I pretty much like every song. Only problem is that the case is like in 3 pieces now (maybe that was intentional?).

Grace to Grace is my favorite. I'll never forget a couple years ago when I was driving my son to daycare (he was about 4) and this was his favorite song. The drive was about 5 minutes and we'd listen to this song every day on the way. The song mapped to our drive almost perfectly and by the time we got there we'd both be screaming "Grace to graaaaaaccccceeee" together in the car and probly having other parents look strangely at us. Great bonding, let me tell you.

Lately I've been working Moving Pictures on my son and he loves Tom Sawyer and Limelight and asks me to play them alot so he can "know the song". So cute to watch him trying so hard to pronounce "alienation" and "fascination".

Yesterday, he was humming "Camera Eye" in the car and said out of the blue, "I think Rush is my favorite band." Goosebumps, man. "That's my boy," was about all I could manage to reply.

cool.gif

Schro

trink39.gif

Archived