Geddy's Finest Hour

darth by tor

Apologies if this topic has been raised before, but being the new boy and all that!

So, All you Bassists out there what track (s!) do you think has geddys finest playing on?

For me the shortlist would be:

Marathon (Fantastic sound!)

Red Barchetta (Particularly in the outro section)

Natural Science (Relentless!)

Counterparts (The Whole CD showcases Geddys "flamenco" technique)

Open Secrets (Excellent solo backing!)

High Water (Far funkier than Flea!)

Force Ten (Best use of bass chords thus far!)

Body Electric (Check the solo section!)

Distant ealy warning (Slipperly and Seductive!)

Digital Man (Amazing!)

2112 ( Whole CD,fantastic zenith of his early playing)

Cygnus x1 (Bass riff to end them all!)

In no particular order, very short list:

Hemispheres (whole album)

Free Will

Natural Science

Digital Man

Anthem

Yyz

Everything he does is great though.

one of geddy's finest vocals is on red barchetta:

rrrrrrrrrrun like the wind as excitement shivers up and down my spine

i must have rewound that 10 times today and blasted it. i love how there are these moments of struggle at the very end of "spine"

he's really trying!

My personal favorites are the ones I have the most fun playing (or most difficulty) I am limiting myself to 10, in chronological order

By-Tor and the Snowdog

La Villa Strangiato

Freewill

Natural Science

Vital Signs

Digital Man

Marathon

Force 10

Leave That Thing Alone

Driven

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jan 31 2005, 11:21 PM)
Driven

ahem...thank you moonie, I was afraid no one was going to mention that one wink.gif I think that is one great one....Secret Touch is another goodeh too...personally I could sit down and name every damn song, cause that's how phenominal and innovative a bass player I think he is wub.gif

Listening to "Digital Man" right now. A nice showcase for some great Geddy bass lines. Alex, always the team player, keeps his parts pretty simple so Geddy can shine. I like how all of Ged's runs and fills in this song are different from each other, and they're all interesting (much like Neil's approach to drum fills).

I've always loved The Twilight Zone. Its jazzy. Fly by Night is cool too. And i have a question for all the bassists. At the end of the third bass fill in YYZ, does geddy play harmonics? If he does he's probably the only bassist I know who does that.

QUOTE (By-Tor & the Jazz Bass @ Feb 13 2005, 04:40 AM)
Listen to Geddy on "Hold You Fire". Every song on the album has a great bass line. That's one of the reasons I love that album. trink39.gif

Definatly, there are a lot of shining moments on songs like Open Secrets, Prime Mover, Lock and Key, Turn The Page, very few missed steps on that one.

And 1001001, great assessment of Digital Man. I cant begin to tell you how long it took as a beginning player trying to figure out each one of those things and how to train my fingers to be able to remember each of them in the right place, lotsa tough spots on that song.

QUOTE (RushGuru @ Feb 19 2005, 01:27 AM)
At the end of the third bass fill in YYZ, does geddy play harmonics? If he does he's probably the only bassist I know who does that.

Yes, Ged does indeed pluck two harmonics there. The first harmonic is on the D string at the ninth fret, and the second is on the G string at the ninth fret.

There are other bassists who've used harmonics, such as Jaco Pastorius (the master of bass harmonics), Stanley Clarke, Billy Sheehan, Chris Squire, just to name a few.

Stu Hamm does a whole solo based around harmonics. He's no Jaco though, he was truly the best.

that would be nice to see. hey CYG, check this:

i saw stew hamm play with satriani at boston's berkeley college of music. that's when i first heard him play "peanuts." that was cool!

and satriani f*cked up the slow tune of his off SURFING THE ALIEN, the shining moment, and i was like "haaaaww! (you messed up!)"

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Feb 21 2005, 04:08 AM)
Cool, I saw them all on the first G3 tour.

That was Satriani, Steve Vai and Eric Johnson, right? Satch is way overrated, IMO. Vai was a student of his and Vai destroys him now. Johnson would be the big draw for me in that show.

Best guitar concert I ever attended was Steve Morse Band (right after The Dregs broke up) with Allan Holdsworth opening. Guitar heaven right there. During Morse's set he gets on the mic and says, "We'd like to bring out a special guest right now..." Out comes Steve Howe. Everybody cheered while their jaws were on the ground. The two Steves then ripped through Jeff Beck's "Freeway Jam." Guitar nirvana right there.

Yeah, Hamm was with Satriani. Vai and Satriani went to high school together. Satriani was a senior and Vai was a freshman.

Johnson was ok. He was still riding high from Cliffs of Dover. His band was good, but much of his stuff was too similar.

I really like Vai. I saw him at a "Les Paul Day" show at the House of Blues in '94. Amazing. His Flexible album is my favorite of his. Very raw and diverse.

The only time I've ever seen Morse was opening for Rush in '86. Very impressive. I remember thinking the best guitar players were named Steve: Vai, Morse, and Stevie Ray. I have been lucky enough to see them all live.