Neil sighting (Freddie Gruber's bday)

rushfr:CP

if the guy posted that he meet neil and he was such a great guy, would you want me to post it??

I could careless if Neil punched the dude in his face and took his drink from him.

I thought it was interesting, if you dont move on.

Edited by rushfr:CP

QUOTE (LowLifeFlatHeadScum @ May 15 2008, 11:10 AM)
Most are usually approachable if not downright the nicest people you'll ever meet (Erskine, Bissonette, Weckl, Novak, Holmes, just to name a few). These guys would run cirles around Neil in the talent dept.

Ha...this right here should prove the worth of this guy.

Yes...every drummer can "run circles around Neil in talent!" eyesre4.gif

fing.gif schla03.gif spit6ph.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 15 2008, 12:09 PM)
QUOTE (rushfr:CP @ May 15 2008, 10:43 AM)
Neil isnt the jerk here man. You were by going up to him when you knew he doesnt like strangers talking to him. If he ignored you you should have taken the hint.

Are you talking to me????

Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?

I don't see nobody else here so you must be talkin' to me........

So he was talking to me. I knew it!!

TBH there are better ways to deal with the situation than just ignore people imho.

If I was ignored once though, I wouldn't lower myself or even look so desperate as to go bother him again. Some people have principles, y'know.

neil does not like to talk to strangers. is that not what your mom and dad told you? or was that rick springfield?

This is about the dumbest pissing contest ever. Neil is not a bad guy. He's just sensitive about being approached by people who want to rub elbows with him simply because he's famous. It gives him the creeps when people act like they know him but don't. He's super cool if he's , say, in a BMW dealership waiting to pick up his bike. My buddy's uncle was approachecd by Neil in that setting and Neil gleefully told him all about the band and stuff. He was cool with that. He'll approach strangers in that situation. Do ya get it? Give the guy a break and move on with your life, dude.

It's tough to make it past the post with the ipod dancer, but yeah Neil probably gets this and more everyday of his life. If he didn't say hello the first 2 times, don't try a 3rd I guess.

maybe I'm not making myself clear.

I am not bashing Neil for not responding to this guy (who is not me) in any way.

I found the video off the CP site. Along with the video was a blog from the dude who posted it and he said he was there.

I simply copied what he said about Neil and posted it here.

Neil should have kicked him in the balls after the second attempt.

QUOTE (rushfr:CP @ May 15 2008, 01:06 PM)
thought i made it very clear with a couple of other posts.. but since that didnt work i will remove everything but the vid.

is that better???

I understood that those weren't your words right off the bat. I don't see why people are getting confused.

I've always thought Neil owes a little more to his fans. Geddy and Alex at least make an attempt to be cordial, while Mr. Peart has a tendency to blow people off like they don't exist. Not cool.

I like Neil as a musician, and all he's accomplished with Rush...but he needs to remember sometimes who exactly has been paying his bills for the last 35 years. During the concert in New Orleans, he didn't acknowledge the crowd one single time..not even after a long standing O for the drum solo. He just walked off stage, while Alex played "Hope"...then came back on to continue the set. A little wave and a smile wouldn't hurt...and God help us all if he actually said "thank you" into a microphone. It seems like we're just here to stroke his obviously massive ego, and so he can get paid.

Neil is the most talented musician in the group, and no doubt most responsible for the success of Rush...but I find him to be very stuck up and aloof. He's just plain unlikeable. I respect Ged and Alex as human beings a lot more than I do Neil. 2.gif

Edited by subdivider79

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ May 15 2008, 08:37 AM)
Neil isnt the jerk here man. You were by going up to him when you knew he doesnt like strangers talking to him. If he ignored you you should have taken the hint.

I'd normally agree, but there's a difference between someone approaching Neil at, say, a restaurant, than someone saying "how's it goin?" at a birthday party.

QUOTE (subdivider79 @ May 15 2008, 02:07 PM)
I've always thought Neil owes a little more to his fans. Geddy and Alex at least make an attempt to be cordial, while Mr. Peart has a tendency to blow people off like they don't exist. Not cool.

I like Neil as a musician, and all he's accomplished with Rush...but he needs to remember sometimes who exactly has been paying his bills for the last 35 years. During the concert in New Orleans, he didn't acknowledge the crowd one single time..not even after a long standing O for the drum solo. He just walked off stage, while Alex played "Hope"...then came back on to continue the set. A little wave and a smile wouldn't hurt...and God help us all if he actually said "thank you" into a microphone.

Neil is the most talented musician in the group, and no doubt most responsible for the success of Rush...but I find him to be very stuck up and aloof. He's just plain unlikeable. I respect Ged and Alex as human beings a lot more than I do Neil. 2.gif

I disagree. Neil owes you his drumming and his lyrics and his books, that's it. Off the stage, out of the studio and away from his writing desk, Neil just wants to be left alone. Outside of those situations, he doesn't want to be famous. His guarded personality doesn't allow him to be comfortable with strangers who only want to talk to him because he's famous. That's all there is to it.

Just because Alex and Geddy are more willing to meet with fans doesn't mean Neil HAS to.

Neil could've said hello or whatever, but we all know how he is. The guy should've gotten the hint after the first try. I'm not really defending Neil's attitude, but I love this part:

"well....ya know. I really didn't want to talk to him anyway"

LOL, what a f***ing clown. He tried three times, got his feelings hurt, wanted to throw his Rush collection away, and couldn't wait to post about it on the internet. Obviously he did want to talk to him.

• Like 1

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 15 2008, 01:18 PM)
QUOTE (subdivider79 @ May 15 2008, 02:07 PM)

I like Neil as a musician, and all he's accomplished with Rush...but he needs to remember sometimes who exactly has been paying his bills for the last 35 years. During the concert in New Orleans, he didn't acknowledge the crowd one single time..not even after a long standing O for the drum solo. He just walked off stage, while Alex played "Hope"...then came back on to continue the set. A little wave and a smile wouldn't hurt...and God help us all if he actually said "thank you" into a microphone.

I disagree. Neil owes you his drumming and his lyrics and his books, that's it. Off the stage, out of the studio and away from his writing desk, Neil just wants to be left alone. Outside of those situations, he doesn't want to be famous. His guarded personality doesn't allow him to be comfortable with strangers who only want to talk to him because he's famous. That's all there is to it.

Just because Alex and Geddy are more willing to meet with fans doesn't mean Neil HAS to.

Sure, I understand that...and I totally respect that. I myself am intensely private, I get pissed off when my own neighbors ask me how things are going. But would it kill Mr. Peart to at least say "thank you" to those who have brought him wealth, prosperity, and power? If it weren't for us, he may still be grubbing shillings in London...

That being said, I couldn't care less how Neil treats people. I wouldn't approach him, or any other celebrity..simply because I don't have a case of "hero worship". If the opportunity presented itself, then sure..I'd like to meet some people that have brought me pleasure through music, movies, and sports...but I definitely don't get all uppity about celebrities. I just think Mr. Peart could be a little more respectful. Don't forget the unrelenting sarcasm he uses sometimes to answer fan questions. That's completely uncalled for.

Check out what some others are saying that were at the party on the CP site.

I would have copied and pasted it here, but I think it would add to the confusion.

Sounds like the guy that posted the story has a different version then they do.

QUOTE (subdivider79 @ May 15 2008, 10:31 AM)
Don't forget the unrelenting sarcasm he uses sometimes to answer fan questions. That's completely uncalled for.

Anyone got any examples? Because that sounds hilarious. Then again, I'm an introvert with a warped sense of humor.

This guy wanted this to be copied and pasted.

From the CP site.

***********Spoiler, copied and pasted this**************

THE ORIGANAL POSTER GOES BY THE NAME KROY WEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (Kroy Wen @ May 15 2008, 11:04:46 AM)

*sigh*

I was there.

So many inaccuracies in that story.

1st...Mike wasn't wearing a black leather motorcycle jacket. Nobody with Neil was.

2nd...the guy who approached Neil did not approach Neil the way he describes.

3rd...the guy who stopped the guy who approached Neil worked for the restaurant and did that on his own accord.

4th...when the guy first said hello, Neil smiled and nodded to him. Then the guy pounced and pursued, making Neil and all of Neil's friends uncomfortable until the restaurant asked him to leave.

I love people who believe unsubstantiated Internet rumors 100%.

This guy simply put, posted his point of view on what happened. You and Michael posted your point of view. (You much more eloquently than Michael, but I digress... ).

We all just choose on whom to believe. I think after reading your account, the 3rd line is very plausible. And to hear that Neil did smile and nod to him, changes the entire picture. I think I may have to sign up at that other board and with your permission, post your response and see what he has to say!

And why the hell didn't Michael reply to my invitation to lunch for the Concord show?!?! I'M HURT I TELL YA!!!

This scene we're all talking about actually illustrates perfectly why Neil usually doesn't make eye contact or smile/nod, etc.

When you engage a person (a stranger in these instances) you are giving them a response. This response, from a "normal Joe" is called common courtesy, but when it comes from a celebrity/recognizable person, it is often mis-interpreted as an invitation for further engagement (which is exactly how the person in the initial story took it, when it was only intended as common courtesy). So you (as a celebrity/recognizable person) are faced with a choice EVERY TIME someone shouts out your name as if they know you personally...ignore them and hope they go away (which they usually do if you ignore them) or try (yet again) to be nice and normal and courteous and run the risk (the very likely risk) that they will take that as a green light for further conversation/engagement.

It's not about ego at all.

And to respond to the posts where people suggested that Neil shouldn't have gone to the bar since he knew it was a "public place," consider two points: 1) Neil has as much right to go to public places and not be bothered by strangers as you do (and you WOULD get to the point where he, and many other celebrities/recognizable people, is at after so many thousands of these encounters). And 2) Freddy invited Neil because Freddy and Neil are VERY close friends. And it would have been a MUCH more selfish thing to do for Neil NOT to appear than it was for him to show up in a place where he was uncomfortable and support a very dear friend and inspiration and try to keep a low profile and not offend any of the people there who kept coming over and snapping photos of him all night long while he tried to enjoy the show.

Yeah. Nobody mentioned that, either. All night long people kept walking over and just taking pictures of him without asking or trying to introduce themselves and Neil never once raised a stink.

Of course it's always easier to complain about someone being a stick in the mud than it is to give credit when someone is trying really hard to be nice and polite in an uncomfortable situation.

Thus concludes my summary of the event and my opinions regarding it. Sorry for the long winded nature of my reply. Feel free to copy/paste any of these replies by me on the other message board.

QUOTE (hope70 @ May 15 2008, 01:54 PM)
Neil owes nothing to anyone. The man likes his privacy and I can't blame him. Also, you're either a people's person or you're not.

He could stand up and bow to the crowd that adores him... 2.gif

QUOTE (subdivider79 @ May 15 2008, 01:57 PM)
QUOTE (hope70 @ May 15 2008, 01:54 PM)
Neil owes nothing to anyone.  The man likes his privacy and I can't blame him.  Also, you're either a people's person or you're not.

He could stand up and bow to the crowd that adores him... 2.gif

Bow? A hand up in the air, which is what he does, is fine.