Neil sighting (Freddie Gruber's bday)

rushfr:CP

QUOTE (rushfr:CP @ May 15 2008, 08:59 AM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C46rPOK4F0o

and some not so flattering comments about him from a guy who was there.

Funny thing....

I had no idea that Neil was going to be there. So when I was standing outside, I saw him sitting at the table in the back next to Freddy. They weren't letting people in for the 2nd set yet. So me and my lady friend were standing outside when Neil comes out to get some fresh air. He's looking right at me while he walks out the short corrodor out the front door. I say, "hey Neil"

And he doesn't even flinch, look at me, nor acknowledge me.

So I say, "Hows it going Neil" as he walks by me without saying a word. Treats me as if I was paparazzi or something

I was like

Soooouuuuu.....I just put back on my cheerful and usual smile and decide to head over to the side of the building. Right where the gas station is where he's standing next to somebody talking and I decide to introduce myself formally. I figure...hey....he's just another fellow drummer. No big deal.

As I walk over towards him, some dude in a leather motorcycle riding jacket stands in front of me. Asks me if I know Neil. I was sitting there with this look on my face thinking, "who the F is this guy!!??". So I say no. Then he asks me if I'm with the press or something, again I said no. So I tell him, "Hey...I'm here for Freddys B-day. Freddy is like a grandfather to me". So the guy tells me, "well....Neils talking with one of his friends right now and I don't think he wants to be bothered".

So I look at him and say, "well....ya know. I really didn't want to talk to him anyway".

What an ass.

Ya know...not to toot my horn, but I know some of the best drummers in the world. Some are close friends of mine. Most are usually approachable if not downright the nicest people you'll ever meet (Erskine, Bissonette, Weckl, Novak, Holmes, just to name a few). These guys would run cirles around Neil in the talent dept. But for me to get this kind of treatment at a low key (for Neils stature) gig in the middle of N. Hollywood on a wed night. Uggghhhh.....I wanted to go home and throw all my Rush albums in the trash last night. The guy who I idolized as a kid just served me one of the biggest disses that I've ever been served in years.

Ya...ya....I know what you're going to say. He's a rock star and thats what he's used to getting all the time. You know what? Screw him. I could care less if he was the king of china. He's just another guy. And for him to take that cavalier attitude and put one of his riding buddies in my path to intercept me at a low key gig was just stupid.

Ok....sorry for the rant. But I had to get that off my chest.

Other than that. I was great hanging with Nick Vincent (an amazing drummer/one of Freddys students), Erskoman and his lovely wife, Freddy, Joey, Roger Burns (another of Freddy Students) and Gary Novak. I'm sure I'm missing a lot of other people, but there were so many people there and the music was off the hook that night.

They even did a little trio accoustic guitar thing 1/2 of the 2nd set with some latin dancers in the background as well.

I guess this other drum website recorded the whole evening on proshot with multiple cameras. One of the cameramen told me it'll be available on the net soon. I forget the name of it. Maybe Erskoman knows. I'll call Freddy and ask him. He might know.

http://www.houseofdrumming.com/forums/view...der=asc&start=0

Sounds like you might be taking this a little too personally. Neil doesn't know you from Adam. it's well -known that he doesn't like interacting with fans much and very rarely gives interviews. Given what he's been through in the last ten years, I feel fortunate that he's continuing to make music at all.

I'm not slamming you, but just try to put yourself in his shoes. He's always been something of an introverted guy and fame clearly makes him a touch uneasy ("Limelight"). After the millionth time of someone you dont know trying to strike up a conversation with you, you might also find yourself looking for the fire exit. Wait till you get famous.....you'll find out. biggrin.gif

I don't see why people always have to blow this out of proportion. Neil doesn't like to be bothered. He's not the only one out there. They guy didn't get the hint after the first two times? He's a moron. Not defending Neil's ignorance, perhaps he could have smiled but to continue to bother him... nah.

Politeness costs nothing Mr Peart.

When this chap said "How's it going Neil" all you need have done is say "Fine, now I'm just a bit busy, but nice to see you" then move on. It takes up two seconds of your time and leaves a happy punter. Having said that, this fellow should never have said "Hey Neil" before that, that sounds a bit rude.

One thing's for sure, being a "Gobby cow" as hubby puts it, should I ever see Neil out in the wild, I;m going to go and talk at him, whether he says anything back or not smile.gif

QUOTE (edgyspice @ May 15 2008, 11:29 AM)
Swell, another "Neil is a dick" thread. These NEVER get old!

and now, let me break out the...

beathorse.gif

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Smudger @ May 15 2008, 12:26 PM)
When this chap said "How's it going Neil" all you need have done is say "Fine, now I'm just a bit busy, but nice to see you" then move on. It takes up two seconds of your time and leaves a happy punter. Having said that, this fellow should never have said "Hey Neil" before that, that sounds a bit rude.
One thing's for sure, being a "Gobby cow" as hubby puts it, should I ever see Neil out in the wild, I;m going to go and talk at him, whether he says anything back or not smile.gif

See, I'd do the opposite. Knowing how he is, I'd completely ignore him out of respect. I see no reason to bust the guy's balls when I KNOW he won't talk to a stranger like me.

QUOTE (rushfr:CP @ May 15 2008, 12:35 PM)
Maybe the guy should have taken the hint the first two times he tried to say something to him.

why go back for a third attempt??

Exactly. The guy knew he was being a prick and probably kept going just so he could post about it online. He's trying to paint himself as just an innocent and friendly fan and it isn't working.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 15 2008, 11:39 AM)
QUOTE (rushfr:CP @ May 15 2008, 12:35 PM)
Maybe the guy should have taken the hint the first two times he tried to say something to him.

why go back for a third attempt??

Exactly. The guy knew he was being a prick and probably kept going just so he could post about it online. He's trying to paint himself as just an innocent and friendly fan and it isn't working.

He was also boasting how he knows a lot of other big time drummers. Which is great, but this doens't mean all drummers are the same, as he suggested.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 15 2008, 11:31 AM)
QUOTE (Smudger @ May 15 2008, 12:26 PM)

See, I'd do the opposite. Knowing how he is, I'd completely ignore him out of respect. I see no reason to bust the guy's balls when I KNOW he won't talk to a stranger like me.

I would do the same. We all know of the guy's personalities from what we read and also the shows we attend. Someone who doesn't understand Neil, I can see getting pissed. Me, I wouldn't blink an eye.

The guy's been through a world of sh*t.

Stop the bitching please.

Edited by hope70

QUOTE (rushfr:CP @ May 15 2008, 11:43 AM)
Neil isnt the jerk here man. You were by going up to him when you knew he doesnt like strangers talking to him. If he ignored you you should have taken the hint.

Are you talking to me????

No Im talking to the hat in the corner, Who the f do you think I'm talking to?

QUOTE (rushfr:CP @ May 15 2008, 11:43 AM)
Neil isnt the jerk here man. You were by going up to him when you knew he doesnt like strangers talking to him. If he ignored you you should have taken the hint.

You're OP isn't very clear if it's you who was at Gruber's party or someone else. Maybe you should clarify it a bit so the slams will be directed at the right person.

BTW...at this point does anyone not know Neil only interacts with those of his choosing. You're not going to get him to slap backs and be friendly if he doesn't know you regardless of who you are. Yes he's a bit of a dick having his boys run interference for him but it is what it is and shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

There are a lot bigger stars than Neil who handle these things with more class and tact but whoever it was that followed him around was asking for it IMO.

edit: looks like you made it pretty clear it wasn't you.

Edited by theredtamasrule

People are confused...

this post by rushfr:CP is NOT his words...must be some E-mail he copy and pasted from rushfr:CP's friend or something. The original thread starter was NOT clear at all about that, and confused me a little at first too. It wasn't rushfr:CP that was there, someone else...

As for Neil....

"I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend"

Now, would 90-95% of rock stars out there be cooler than Neil was? Yeah, but Neil is Neil, this is how he is...no surprises. What else is new?

The least he could have done was say hi...I understand so many people must bust em...but really, to say hi is not a big deal. Limelight or no Limelight, you don't have to be an ass to someone on purpose. It really only takes a few seconds of your time. But who knows, maybe he was having a bad day...I know people who have met Ged & Al a few times and certain times they've been more cheerful than others...But at least say hi!!!

QUOTE (rushfr:CP @ May 15 2008, 12:06 PM)
thought i made it very clear with a couple of other posts..  but since that didnt work i will remove everything but the vid.

is that better???

Reading your post, I got the impression that you were there. unsure.gif

So you're ranting for a guy who got the cold shoulder from Neil and threw a hissy fit?

Edited by hope70

QUOTE (rushfr:CP @ May 15 2008, 10:43 AM)

Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?

I don't see nobody else here so you must be talkin' to me........