John Rutsey dead at 55

rushfr:CP

I am guessing that there will be something on him from the band on the website. Would not surprise me if Neil writes an article on him and how it all worked out of John leaving and Neil being in the right place at the right time. I am sure that Neil respected him.

"For so many different connections

Our separate paths might have made

With every door that we opened

Every game we played"

Edited by Earthshine

QUOTE (1974FAN @ May 14 2008, 03:47 PM)
Someone mentioned earlier about the guys doing a tribute song for the rest of the tour.  I don't think that they'll go that far.  Most likely they'll just make a statement in the Toronto Star and their website.  If they were to do a tribute song, my thinking is that it would be something from the debut album.  Perhaps Working Man or In The Mood or Finding My Way.  I would also guess that it would be a gesture from Neil to Alex & Ged as well.  However, as nice as that would be, I doubt it.

Theme for an Imaginary Tribute.......

GL: So what are we going to do for John?

NP: How about opening with 'Finding My Way', closing with 'Working Man' and in the set somewhere, 'Here Again'?

GL: Great idea. It should be a celebration of what he did. And 'Here Again' is so fitting....really poignant.

AL: Perfect. I can really reach out to him through the solo.

NP: OK. Here's to you John. Rest in Peace.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ May 16 2008, 07:05 AM)
I am guessing that there will be something on him from the band on the website. Would not surprise me if Neil writes an article on him and how it all worked out of John leaving and Neil being in the right place at the right time. I am sure that Neil respected him.

"For so many different connections
Our separate paths might have made
With every door that we opened
Every game we played"

I would rather Alex or Geddy do this. Although I'd be willing to bet Neil did meet John it was obviously Alex and Geddy who knew him best.

Holy shit... i can't believe this happened! How long ago did it happen? How long did I go without knowing he was gone?

I listened to the first album a couple of days ago. Kinda coincidental.

Rush would definitely not be the band it is today without John. Thank you John for making the first album so good. you will be missed by me every time I hear the first album from now on.

I found myself air-drumming to What You're Doing today. I've never had the urge to do that before. But I've just realized how awesome that drumming really is.

With much respect, R.I.P. John Rutsey.

I was baking tonight (not very manly, I surrender) and put on Rush for background listening.

I absolutely LOVE that first album. It is familiar, the lyrics (simple but perfectly executed) work so well with Geddy's "volun-tolding" into the role, so great.

I have seen footage with microphones for each of them, but there is really a decent sense of "harmony" that accompanies Geddy's crazy voice range.

Bluesy, great timing, just great, great sounds. Rutsey was helping with vocals, and Alex also sure, but there was already the makings of a great "upper sound" to balance the heavy lower sounds.

I've said it before, but if John wasn't so good with the drums the guys would have maybe settled for second best. Lucky for us, he set the bar and it was raised again. And again. And again!

So many years later, Geddy and Alex really proved they can play above many other musicians.

What did Terry Brown say about it? Something like "they had these songs and didn't know how or what to do with them", but being the workaholics they were, we totally indulged for hours and hours until is was mixed.

• Like 1

I was baking tonight (not very manly, I surrender) and put on Rush for background listening.

I absolutely LOVE that first album. It is familiar, the lyrics (simple but perfectly executed) work so well with Geddy's "volun-tolding" into the role, so great.

I have seen footage with microphones for each of them, but there is really a decent sense of "harmony" that accompanies Geddy's crazy voice range.

Bluesy, great timing, just great, great sounds. Rutsey was helping with vocals, and Alex also sure, but there was already the makings of a great "upper sound" to balance the heavy lower sounds.

I've said it before, but if John wasn't so good with the drums the guys would have maybe settled for second best. Lucky for us, he set the bar and it was raised again. And again. And again!

So many years later, Geddy and Alex really proved they can play above many other musicians.

What did Terry Brown say about it? Something like "they had these songs and didn't know how or what to do with them", but being the workaholics they were, we totally indulged for hours and hours until is was mixed.

For the first album, I think Terry provided the professional reassurance that what they'd come up with wasn't complete crap. I'm sure the band wasn't overly confident in their work and needed guidance. The rest is history.

• Like 1

It also showed the work ethic Alex and Geddy (and then the new guy) would continue to develop through their career. It bugs me when people comment on the smoking, the silly antics and such unless there is a clear understanding of what they were willing to do, the time it took, to make albums and tour and stay healthy as they did :)
  • Like 1