Rush on American Idol

Jag2112

Hey all...

You know, I'll admit it. I watch American Idol...well, at least I watch the initial auditions just so I can get an appreciation for how badly people can sing.

There is a level of entertainment in seeing, er, hearing people belt out songs commpletely out of tune.

So after watching it this past week, my wife turned to me and pondered "I wonder if anyone ever auditioned with a Rush song..."

*Gasp!*

Good question...Scary question...

I wonder if there's a source out there that lists every song ever performed during the initial auditions of A.I.

And of those, how many (if any) were Rush.

And of THOSE, how many made it to Hollywood...

Yea, I know...

zero to the last one.

Just a (damn scary) thought...

-John

Cygnus-X1: A Tribute to Rush

Eh, I highly doubt that anyone would ever use a Rush song for an audition on a show like American Idol. As you could probably tell already, those shows feature songs from modern day artists that record songs and videos for MTV just because they know that the public will like them. Also, Rush doesn't seem like the type of music that is on the show. It seems to me that they feature more pop type songs.

actually, i really like AI. it's prob just me being so young & all, & i don't prefer the music the people perform on there, but it's a hilarious show!! i know most of you don't watch, but did anybody see the other night when Gene Simmons was a judge?? it was soooo funny!! laugh.gif

carolynn

Thank goodness Rush never had to resort to such a show to get noticed.

Can you imagine a young Geddy Lee auditioning, with his "screechy" voice?!?! I can just imagine what kind of caustic remarks Simon would have had after that! (Knowing Simon, he probably still would if he heard Geddy today!)

wacko.gif

QUOTE (Presto45 @ Jan 31 2005, 11:46 PM)
Youll never see a Rush song on American Idol

We can only hope. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Feb 1 2005, 12:57 AM)
This is a very misleading thread title, I thought Rush was actually on it laugh.gif

I guess I could have come up with a better subject smile.gif

But - getting back to others - while I agree that we'll never see/hear a Rush song on American Idol, one does have to wonder if anyone actually used a Rush song to audition.

Keep in mind the thousands upon thousands of people who have auditioned for A.I. over the years.

One of them HAD to belt out a rendition of Available Light or Passage to Bangkok...

Don't ya think?

wink.gif

-John

---------------------

Cygnus-X1: A Tribute to Rush

I am too old, but maybe one you younger folks can make it on the show and sing RUSH ... even if you don't make it ... it would be epic LOL

QUOTE (Spike @ Jan 31 2005, 01:09 PM)
Thank goodness Rush never had to resort to such a show to get noticed.

Can you imagine a young Geddy Lee auditioning, with his "screechy" voice?!?! I can just imagine what kind of caustic remarks Simon would have had after that! (Knowing Simon, he probably still would if he heard Geddy today!)

wacko.gif

Yep ... I have thought about that ... could you imagine Geddy singing a capella in the same key as the studio version, "Weve taken care of everything ..." ... Simon's head would probably explode.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 30 2005, 11:29 AM)
QUOTE (sfuentes @ Jan 30 2005, 12:53 AM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 29 2005, 09:16 PM)
It seems to me that they feature more pop type songs.

Exactly why I don't watch that show.

Ditto.

I concur...Also, being a singer, when I have people ask me, why don't you try out for it...I just kinda look at them like they have three heads...I dont want to come right out and say, well thank you for insulting my musical standards, but... ph34r.gif

Rush and Pink Floyd would not ever be on American Idol. If Geddy Lee or Roger Waters appeared and were told off by Simon I know Waters would tell Cowell to go f**k off!

I truly hope NOT no.gif

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Feb 1 2005, 10:30 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 30 2005, 11:29 AM)
QUOTE (sfuentes @ Jan 30 2005, 12:53 AM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 29 2005, 09:16 PM)
It seems to me that they feature more pop type songs.

Exactly why I don't watch that show.

Ditto.

I concur...Also, being a singer, when I have people ask me, why don't you try out for it...I just kinda look at them like they have three heads...I dont want to come right out and say, well thank you for insulting my musical standards, but... ph34r.gif

No kidding. It's obvious that these people that audition for the show are after one thing: fame. This is why I never could stand pop music, even when I was a teenager. I simply couldn't identify with the empty, cotton-candy-sweet crap they were singing about.

There was a commercial on TV the other day for a cd compilation of metal ballads by bands like Poison, Great White, Warrant and the like. I was laughing at it and my brother in law says: "Didn't you used to listen to that stuff?" My jaw dropped. "That kind of crap makes me wretch. I NEVER listened to that sh*t."

Give me meatier fare like Rush, Dio, Don Henley, and Kansas. Aaaah.

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Feb 1 2006, 11:17 PM)
Rush and Pink Floyd would not ever be on American Idol. If Geddy Lee or Roger Waters appeared and were told off by Simon I know Waters would tell Cowell to go f**k off!

you posted this exactly ONE YEAR after the last post in this thread! ohmy.gif

doh.gif at first I thought this was a new thread - until I saw posts from Sfuentes and Happysmiles.

And then, sadly I realized - nope. Old.

edited - because I see LSM has been around?? COOL.

The show is tripe....I wouldn't even add it to soup I was fixing for my dog. Though several in my family watch, I can't bear to hear bad songs sung badly for more than five minutes. It's worse than karaoke in a smoky bar...and you have to fix your own drinks. For myself, I'll stick to musicians who actually play instruments, even if it's not fashionable. so....message to Simon, paula, and the other guy:

I've heard enough.

BTW, that crack earlier about geddy's voice and bats....I had to clean my screen after I read that. z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (RushGuru @ Jan 30 2005, 04:26 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 30 2005, 02:30 PM)
I think it's humerous to see people make themselves look like idiots.  tongue.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif rofl3.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif Me too! goodpost.gif

yes.gif

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Feb 2 2006, 02:30 PM)
QUOTE (RushGuru @ Jan 30 2005, 04:26 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 30 2005, 02:30 PM)
I think it's humerous to see people make themselves look like idiots.  tongue.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif rofl3.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif Me too! goodpost.gif

yes.gif

I agree. In fact, I usually only watch the first few weeks or so. I like the shows that have all the awful singers more than the ones who keep advancing. It's painfully humorous.

I do think some just try out to get on TV. They know they have no shot at advancing on. Like the guy who was kind of dressed up like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. Then there's the others who think they really do have a chance and their hopes are shattered. Again, painfully humorous.

Archived