31 replies to this topic

#21 Slaine mac Roth

Slaine mac Roth

Uber-Geek

• Members *
  • 8125 posts
  • Interests:Music, reading, painting, my children, cinema

Posted 30 January 2005 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Jan 30 2005, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 30 2005, 06:36 AM)
ah, but I didn't get their albums in order.

Plus, if I'd got into a Rush a year later, the first live track I'd have heard by them might have been Spirit of Radio from ESL...

Or I might have heard something else from ATWAS on the Radio...

I was thinking about that the other day.  When you first started with Rush and how you bought/listened to their music.  How did/does that effect how you look at their work as a whole.  Just mind-wandering, really. wacko.gif You know, lots of time between MEDS! laugh.gif I was lucky enough (in a way) to have been able to listen to them "in order" and can't imagine hearing how they 'used to play' having never heard how they 'used to play' before!  Know what I mean?  I can't even imagine hearing something they had done before that I had never heard!  In a way, though, it would be kinda cool because you get to hear all this older stuff all at once!! drool1.gif O.K., so maybe I'm not so lucky after all! confused13.gif Yes I am... I love Rush, that's all that matters! trink39.gif  yes.gif

I can see your point there.  I would have loved to have heard the band's progression to their current state in the correct order but, alas, living in the UK, they really didn't  begin to make an impact over here until the late 70s and, in the early days, it was a case of finding someone who had import copies to get you into Rush

Sponsored Post

#22 Heartless Universe

Heartless Universe

The Seeker

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Meh.....Rush videogames , guitars........

Posted 30 January 2005 - 07:22 PM

BASTILLE DAY OWNS WITH BOTH RIFFS ,MUSIC AND LYRICS

#23 redstar86

redstar86

The Seeker

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Reading, playing guitar and keyboard, transcribing Rush songs by ear, and music.

Posted 31 January 2005 - 02:21 PM

I like it better live also. It sounds less refined and even more heavy than in the studio. I too wish they would make it their opener again. It really gets me going. 1022.gif  

#24 NeilPeartFan2112

NeilPeartFan2112

The Analog Kid - Neil's Youngest Protégé

• Members *
  • 11677 posts
  • Interests:Music, drums, collecting

Posted 31 January 2005 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (redstar86 @ Jan 31 2005, 02:21 PM)
I like it better live also. It sounds less refined and even more heavy than in the studio. I too wish they would make it their opener again. It really gets me going. 1022.gif

yes.gif  trink39.gif  

#25 Uncle

Uncle

The Seeker

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Bass Guitar, Music, Hill Walking, Fencing and many others.

Posted 31 January 2005 - 04:07 PM

We use this song in our band to open a concert. You'd be surprised how well it goes down. 2.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif  

#26 Presto45

Presto45

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2554 posts
  • Interests:I love going to Bethany Beach Delaware to Relax whenever i can after a long week at work

Posted 31 January 2005 - 11:42 PM

Love the song  

#27 hap

hap

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 06:55 AM

It's one of their first songs I've appreciated,and even though it isn't among my favourite tracks I like it very much.
I prefer the studio version,it's more intense.

#28 Bastille Night

Bastille Night

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2407 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 09:20 AM

I like this song so much that I named myself after it fing.gif

This is the very first song that I played, the first time that I jammed with a band (as opposed to along with my tape deck).  That feeling was awesome, and it's stuck with me as my fave  2.gif song  1022.gif

Edited by Bastille Night, 04 February 2005 - 09:20 AM.

#29 darth by tor

darth by tor

The Seeker

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 10:09 AM

Its not a bad song, and it was great that they included a brief segment of it in the R30 Overture. As for it returning in full. No chance! Poor Geddy cant sing, and probably doesnt want to sing like that anymore!

#30 New World Kid

New World Kid

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5616 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 02:04 PM

Funny you guys mention this song, got a story that happened recently.

So in my World History class, we're learning about the french revolution, and my friend and I are both in that class(and both like Rush).

SO we were watching this video on the revolution. And at one point they said "the storming of Bastille on Bastille Day" My friend sits at the other side of the room, so I looked over to see what his reaction to that statement was, funny enough he was looking right back at me.

Same thing happened when they quoted the Queen as saying "let them eat cake"

can't decide if this is really strange, or incredibly cool.

Corse, with Rush, it's always both.

Great Song, btw. Love the riff to it.  

#31 troutman

troutman

My views are fishy

• Members *
  • 44549 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 09:09 PM

The Live version "Hands Down". I can still remember walking into some drug store thrifty's or something like that. Back then they sold just about everything including Albums. When I saw ATWAS on the rack one glance at that drum kit and I knew I had to here this band plus it was a "two record set". Who are they, what's the music like and where are they from. Well I wasn't dissapointed I have been a fan ever since. If it was one thing you looked forward to it was putting on side one and LET THE FREY BEGIN!!! . But that aside, I am still waiting for someone to answer my question from yesterday. " What did that one fan yell out on the Album??

Well look, it's  trink39.gif   2.gif

Edited by troutman, 06 February 2005 - 12:06 AM.

#32 Presto45

Presto45

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2554 posts
  • Interests:I love going to Bethany Beach Delaware to Relax whenever i can after a long week at work

Posted 05 February 2005 - 10:30 PM

I love this song  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users