Bastille Day

sfuentes

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Jan 29 2005, 04:25 PM)
What an awesome song. It really is. However, I think that it sounds better live as compared to the album version.

Your thoughts?

agreed. a very, very powerful live song. I would give my left you-know-what to hear this entire song live again. yes.gif

That song is, for me, the first real Rush song, as I define them now. I mean, it was the first song that I heard them do with Neil "on lyrics" that told a story. A song about the liberation of the Bastille??!! A turning point for me and how I looked at them. And nothing has been the same since. Up there in the top 10 of my all-time favorites, for that reason alone. What a memory, of hearing that the first time. biggrin.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Then there's the ATWAS live version. First song! A great performance. But I'm not gonna pick, because I love them both, for what they are. I'll take 'em either way! 2.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 29 2005, 01:56 PM)
This song is the best live. I wish they would bring it back as their opener. yes.gif trink39.gif

Yes. It was awesome on All The World's A Stage. Bastille Day and Anthem... Quite possibly the best two opening songs.

A phenomenal, brilliant song. For me personally the ATWAS version is the definitive one since I'd listened to it a few hundred times before I got round to buying Caress Of Steel in 1977. But actually the studio version is my favourite - it has a highly unusual and distinctive, eccentrically precise, restrained, gothic feel completely absent from the live version. I love the clipped, percussive guitar.

Awesome song. I have to disagree with some of you and say that i like the studio version better. Its so much crisper imo. In the live versions, geddy's voice is all over the place and out of control. Dont get me wrong, I love the live versions, but this is one song that I like better in the studio.

Its also strange that I found this topic right after i finished listening to the song. ph34r.gif

Definitely a great song. I prefer the live version also.

I keep saying that VT is my favorite album, that it rocks the most; but for the last 2 weeks, ATWAS has been playing, a lot, and LOUD!!! Now that album ROCKS!!

1022.gif

QUOTE (RushGuru @ Jan 29 2005, 06:04 PM)
Awesome song. I have to disagree with some of you and say that i like the studio version better. Its so much crisper imo. In the live versions, geddy's voice is all over the place and out of control. Dont get me wrong, I love the live versions, but this is one song that I like better in the studio.

Its also strange that I found this topic right after i finished listening to the song. ph34r.gif

Gasp!

Won't you please welcome home 2.gif

have you ever heard it live , If not then keep praying that will keep touring..

My first 2.gif concert this is the song they openned up with!

i heard them play it live one more time after that ... Moving Pictures Tour 1981

Play it agan sam! 653.gif

Bastille Day has always been, and probably always will be, one of my favourite Rush tracks.

Its got some great guitar work from Alex and some of Geddy's most passonate vocal work married to Neil's brilliant lyrics.

Personally, I do prefer the ATWAS version, probably because it was the first version of it I heard, Add to that, it was the first thing I ever heard by Rush playing live when I got ATWAS for Xmas 1980.

I'm just sorry that, except for the brief snippet as part of the R30 Overture, I've never seen them do on stage.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 30 2005, 06:20 AM)
Bastille Day has always been, and probably always will be, one of my favourite Rush tracks.

Its got some great guitar work from Alex and some of Geddy's most passonate vocal work married to Neil's brilliant lyrics.

Personally, I do prefer the ATWAS version, probably because it was the first version of it I heard, Add to that, it was the first thing I ever heard by Rush playing live when I got ATWAS for Xmas 1980.

I'm just sorry that, except for the brief snippet as part of the R30 Overture, I've never seen them do on stage.

Well ,of course it was the first slain!

after all it is the 1st song on the album!

QUOTE (slacker @ Jan 30 2005, 06:26 AM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 30 2005, 06:20 AM)

Personally, I do prefer the ATWAS version, probably because it was the first version of it I heard,  Add to that, it was the first thing I ever heard  by Rush playing live when I got ATWAS for Xmas 1980.

Well ,of course it was the first slain!

after all it is the 1st song on the album!

add to that it was there 5th album!

after every 5

they play live!

ah, but I didn't get their albums in order.

Plus, if I'd got into a Rush a year later, the first live track I'd have heard by them might have been Spirit of Radio from ESL...

Or I might have heard something else from ATWAS on the Radio...

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 30 2005, 06:36 AM)

Plus, if I'd got into a Rush a year later, the first live track I'd have heard by them might have been Spirit of Radio from ESL...

I was thinking about that the other day. When you first started with Rush and how you bought/listened to their music. How did/does that effect how you look at their work as a whole. Just mind-wandering, really. wacko.gif You know, lots of time between MEDS! laugh.gif I was lucky enough (in a way) to have been able to listen to them "in order" and can't imagine hearing how they 'used to play' having never heard how they 'used to play' before! Know what I mean? I can't even imagine hearing something they had done before that I had never heard! In a way, though, it would be kinda cool because you get to hear all this older stuff all at once!! drool1.gif O.K., so maybe I'm not so lucky after all! confused13.gif Yes I am... I love Rush, that's all that matters! trink39.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Jan 29 2005, 10:04 PM)
QUOTE (RushGuru @ Jan 29 2005, 06:04 PM)

Gasp!

Ironic. unsure.gif

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Jan 30 2005, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 30 2005, 06:36 AM)

I was thinking about that the other day. When you first started with Rush and how you bought/listened to their music. How did/does that effect how you look at their work as a whole. Just mind-wandering, really. wacko.gif You know, lots of time between MEDS! laugh.gif I was lucky enough (in a way) to have been able to listen to them "in order" and can't imagine hearing how they 'used to play' having never heard how they 'used to play' before! Know what I mean? I can't even imagine hearing something they had done before that I had never heard! In a way, though, it would be kinda cool because you get to hear all this older stuff all at once!! drool1.gif O.K., so maybe I'm not so lucky after all! confused13.gif Yes I am... I love Rush, that's all that matters! trink39.gif yes.gif

I can see your point there. I would have loved to have heard the band's progression to their current state in the correct order but, alas, living in the UK, they really didn't begin to make an impact over here until the late 70s and, in the early days, it was a case of finding someone who had import copies to get you into Rush

I like it better live also. It sounds less refined and even more heavy than in the studio. I too wish they would make it their opener again. It really gets me going. 1022.gif

Archived