About time, lets get somemore

Cygnus

http://reuters.myway.com/article/20050128/...TENCING-DC.html

Teen Sentenced for Unleashing Blaster Worm

Email this Story

Jan 28, 4:55 PM (ET)

SEATTLE (Reuters) - A federal judge sentenced a teenager to a year and half of prison on Friday for releasing a variant of the Blaster worm that was used to attack more than 48,000 computers.

Jeffrey Lee Parson, 19, appeared in U.S. District Court in Seattle, where he was also ordered to perform community service, pay restitution and be placed under supervision for three years following the sentence.

"If you use the Internet to harm people, it will be investigated and you will be punished," Jeff Sullivan, chief of the criminal division of the U.S. Attorney's office in Seattle, told reporters.

U.S. District Judge Marsha Pechman, however, did not give the Minnesota teen the maximum 37-month sentence, saying Parson wrote malicious software and used it to attack other computers partly because of neglectful upbringing and supervision.

Parson, who was brought in from his home in Hopkins, Minnesota, pleaded guilty to creating a variant of the worm, which infected computers in mid-2003 and targeted computers at Microsoft Corp.

Parson said he created his "B" or "teekids" variant of the Blaster worm and used it to access fifty computers which he then used to launch a broader attack on more than 48,000 computers.

Attorneys from Microsoft's headquarters in Redmond, Washington, a Seattle suburb, said that damages could easily amount to more than a million dollars.

A hearing for the amount of restitution to be paid to Microsoft and others affected by Parson's Blaster variant will be held in February.

Blaster and its variants are self-replicating Internet worms that bore through a security hole in Windows, Microsoft's operating system which is found on more than 90 percent of the world's personal computers.

Good. we need more prosecution in this area. I think about all the firewalls and AV and spyware killer we have to keep up with these days and it pisses me off. All because of idiots like this. mad.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jan 29 2005, 08:38 AM)
Good. we need more prosecution in this area. I think about all the firewalls and AV and spyware killer we have to keep up with these days and it pisses me off. All because of idiots like this. mad.gif

Agreed. For every good thing we have out there.......

What do they actually gain from doing this sh*t?? Have they got nothing better to do with their lives? Or is there just a screw loose inside their heads?

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 29 2005, 09:07 AM)
What do they actually gain from doing this sh*t?? Have they got nothing better to do with their lives? Or is there just a screw loose inside their heads?

I really think most of their motive is the power they feel from unleashing something like this. It makes them feel superior and powerful.

QUOTE (Bastille Night @ Jan 29 2005, 09:14 AM)
QUOTE (Cygnus @ Jan 29 2005, 06:05 AM)

Jeffrey Lee Parson, 19, .....a year and half of prison on Friday

Jeffrey, meet your cellmate Bubba....enjoy your stay !! 1022.gif bd.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

HEY - Like the Sig!!!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jan 29 2005, 09:08 AM)
QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 29 2005, 09:07 AM)

I really think most of their motive is the power they feel from unleashing something like this. It makes them feel superior and powerful.

Its the only thing I can think of

Mwhahahahahh!! firedevil.gif firedevil.gif tempted.gif

I hope so yes.gif

Yuck.

062802puke_prv.gif Make him pay...

QUOTE (Bastille Night @ Jan 29 2005, 07:14 AM)

laugh.gif rofl3.gif

Blaster and its variants are self-replicating Internet worms that bore through a security hole in Windows, Microsoft's operating system which is found on more than 90 percent of the world's personal computers.

http://homepage.mac.com/furie1335/.Pictures/images/logo_apple.jpg

virus? worm? what's that?

Archived