One Little Victory

Heartless Universe

This song is the epitome of the return of Neil and the return of Rush. Neil lets his drums do the talking on this one, although the lyrics definitely make a strong statement. cool.gif

Believe it or not, it used to fall victim of my "skip" button along with How it is and Nocturne during the first 100 of so times I played VT. I loved the intro from the start, but the whole song felt "messy" to me, compared with all the other awsome tracks on the album. Just a mix of Big money and Spirit of radio, but weaker than both. It has grown on me, though, especially since I got the RIR DVD for Christmas, it's one of my favourite tracks to watch. Now I can't believe that I used most of this song on the R30 tour gig in Stockholm to reposition to make sure I got first in the beer line at the break I knew was coming. I even missed the first half of Tom Sawyer! doh.gif

The Companion

QUOTE (A Companion Unobtrusive @ Jan 29 2005, 05:00 AM)
Believe it or not, it used to fall victim of my "skip" button along with How it is and Nocturne during the first 100 of so times I played VT. I loved the intro from the start, but the whole song felt "messy" to me, compared with all the other awsome tracks on the album. Just a mix of Big money and Spirit of radio, but weaker than both. It has grown on me, though, especially since I got the RIR DVD for Christmas, it's one of my favourite tracks to watch. Now I can't believe that I used most of this song on the R30 tour gig in Stockholm to reposition to make sure I got first in the beer line at the break I knew was coming. I even missed the first half of Tom Sawyer!  doh.gif

The Companion

I attended to a Rush's concert in Sao Paulo (Brazil) a day before the recording of DVD RIR, the live performance of One Little Victory along with the fire and dragon was thrilling, I'll never forget. smile.gif

Unfortunately this same track at VT album cannot capture that emotion in due proportion. confused13.gif

It sounded me too much noisy, and of course my neighbors don't aprreciate it very much as well no.gif

However I like How It Is, this song has an important meaning specially for me, the phrase "You can't tell yourself how to feel" is able to explain many of my daily frustrations, anyway. yes.gif

QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Jan 28 2005, 10:41 PM)
This song is the epitome of the return of Neil and the return of Rush. Neil lets his drums do the talking on this one, although the lyrics definitely make a strong statement. cool.gif

well said. those were my thoughts exactly the first time I heard this track, 'They're back!" cool.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jan 29 2005, 08:03 AM)
This song is the epitome of the return of Neil and the return of Rush. Neil lets his drums do the talking on this one, although the lyrics definitely make a strong statement.  cool.gif

well said. those were my thoughts exactly the first time I heard this track, 'They're back!" cool.gif

Exactly! It's like "hey, we're still here... and look what we can do!!!"

What a way to say "we're back!" 653.gif 2.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Jan 29 2005, 08:59 AM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jan 29 2005, 08:03 AM)
This song is the epitome of the return of Neil and the return of Rush. Neil lets his drums do the talking on this one, although the lyrics definitely make a strong statement.  cool.gif

Exactly! It's like "hey, we're still here... and look what we can do!!!"

What a way to say "we're back!" 653.gif 2.gif yes.gif

this was my reaction too: 653.gif I've never been happier with a new Rush release. Maybe it was the drought the fans understandably experienced, but VT is special. And with OLV, I've often thought of it as Neil pounding out the drumbeat as the Rush army charges the musical hill once again. But maybe I'm a little melodramatic cool.gif

I like the song fine, although it's not among my favorites. I tend to not listen to the released singles for whatever reason. But the intro I really like, which makes me envision somebody on the back of a black stallion carrying a victory flag as if to say "we're back and we come with great power".

The double-bass onslaught demands your attention - there is no escaping it. Neil seemed to really like the double-bass part he did on Test For Echo and decided to explore it more on One Little Victory. Very cool.

I really like the tribal sound the song takes on before the 1st verse but what gets me the most is the slick, nasty, oiled up tone as the first verse kicks in. I can't help but envision dancing girls in cages grabbin' on to dem bars and rockin' out to Neil's beat as Geddy and Alex grind out those notes, and Geddy gets ready to sing... "A certain measure of innocence..." 653.gif

http://www.innofer.com/images/photo-sky.jpg

After Geddy starts singing the vision leaves. It's just during that short section. Ahh - but it's a good vision. cool.gif

All in all - this song rocks. I've always liked it, alot.

Oh I hope I don't get too much flack for this post.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 29 2005, 09:42 PM)
The double-bass onslaught demands your attention - there is no escaping it. Neil seemed to really like the double-bass part he did on Test For Echo and decided to explore it more on One Little Victory. Very cool.

I really like the tribal sound the song takes on before the 1st verse but what gets me the most is the slick, nasty, oiled up tone as the first verse kicks in. I can't help but envision dancing girls in cages grabbin' on to dem bars and rockin' out to Neil's beat as Geddy and Alex grind out those notes, and Geddy gets ready to sing... "A certain measure of innocence..." 653.gif

After Geddy starts singing the vision leaves. It's just during that short section. Ahh - but it's a good vision. cool.gif

All in all - this song rocks. I've always liked it, alot.

icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

What do I dislike about it?

It's dumb, repetitive bludgeon riffola of the kind they had too much maturity and good taste to record in their '20s - chalk it up to mid-life crisis.

What do I like about it?

It's the first track, so the skip button is very handy just after you've put the CD in the player.

QUOTE (Slim @ Jan 30 2005, 02:58 PM)

It's dumb, repetitive bludgeon riffola of the kind they had too much maturity and good taste to record in their '20s - chalk it up to mid-life crisis.

What do I like about it?

It's the first track, so the skip button is very handy just after you've put the CD in the player.

Slim, are you a big fan of the HYF era?

Not in particular, no - I do like HYF a lot, but it's not one of my very favourites .. I prefer Caress Of Steel, 2112, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals and Power Windows.

I'm only jus warming up to this song, it got filed in my head as 'All a bit too much'.

I've recently got the guitar tab for VT and have been kinda working out how OLV work, the more I learn it the more I like it.

By the way, I took my non-Rush fan Tom to see the boys at Wembley. He said OLV was his favourite.

Disco

PS Tom left the gig early becasue, as a UK reviewer put it, the final 70s section borders on the sureal with its relentless complexity, all an ephany of joy for us in-the-know, but utterly bewildering if you don't kow the stuff.

Anyway, when Tom said he was off I was about to step in and say 'No, don't go Tom their about to play there mid-70s prog masterpiece Xanadu, it's a 13 minute song based on collderidge poem,' when I realised that wasn't going to sway anyone...

QUOTE (Slim @ Jan 30 2005, 03:12 PM)
Not in particular, no - I do like HYF a lot, but it's not one of my very favourites .. I prefer Caress Of Steel, 2112, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals and Power Windows.

Hmmm... you're a very interesting fellow, Slim. Normally, from what I have seen, those who like HYF as a general rule of thumb, don't particularly like VT. Just goes to show, Rush fans are truly a unique brand of people.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 29 2005, 10:42 PM)
The double-bass onslaught demands your attention - there is no escaping it.  Neil seemed to really like the double-bass part he did on Test For Echo and decided to explore it more on One Little Victory.  Very cool.

I really like the tribal sound the song takes on before the 1st verse but what gets me the most is the slick, nasty, oiled up tone as the first verse kicks in.  I can't help but envision dancing girls in cages grabbin' on to dem bars and rockin' out to Neil's beat as Geddy and Alex grind out those notes, and Geddy gets ready to sing... "A certain measure of innocence..."  653.gif

After Geddy starts singing the vision leaves.  It's just during that short section.  Ahh - but it's a good vision.  cool.gif

All in all - this song rocks.  I've always liked it, alot.

i KNOW what you're talking about, Pags. i don't see that, but i feelz it. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Jan 30 2005, 09:38 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 29 2005, 10:42 PM)
The double-bass onslaught demands your attention - there is no escaping it.  Neil seemed to really like the double-bass part he did on Test For Echo and decided to explore it more on One Little Victory.  Very cool.

I really like the tribal sound the song takes on before the 1st verse but what gets me the most is the slick, nasty, oiled up tone as the first verse kicks in.  I can't help but envision dancing girls in cages grabbin' on to dem bars and rockin' out to Neil's beat as Geddy and Alex grind out those notes, and Geddy gets ready to sing... "A certain measure of innocence..."  653.gif

After Geddy starts singing the vision leaves.  It's just during that short section.  Ahh - but it's a good vision.  cool.gif

All in all - this song rocks.  I've always liked it, alot.

i KNOW what you're talking about, Pags. i don't see that, but i feelz it. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

trink39.gif

653.gif WHOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO 653.gif

I love everything about this song. One Little Victory outshines every other track on this record for sure. It always seems that the best song on a given album is usually the first track. I wonder if Rush and other atists do this intentionally?

I heard this song for the first time on the radio, and it blew me away. I had to put down what I was doing and just LISTEN!!!!

Tell you the truth, this isnt one of my favorites of VT. I was in the pool that when I first got this album, I had a hard time (for the first couple runs) making out which songs I liked and disliked. This song i was sorta on the edge about for a few months, but seeing it live really made me appreciate it more, the same thing happened to me with Ceiling Unlimited. Especially the huge fire columns that were spit out for this song, it really amped me up, it was great on the VT tour. But to tell you the truth, I would have liked to have seen another song on R30 other then OLV, there are just so many more strong tracks off that album they havent touched yet.

QUOTE (Slim @ Jan 30 2005, 02:58 PM)

What do I like about it?

Although I do like OLV very much, I have to agree somewhat with his argument--it's too repetitive. The first two minutes or so are great; you never know which way it's going to turn phrasically--but by the niddle of the song they're just repeating the same riff over and over again.

In other words, I think OLV could be shorter and still be the same "We're baaaaack!!" announcement that it is.

Archived