Counterparts: A Grapes Odysse

Grapes_under_pressure

Test For Echo review

Roll the Bones Review

Presto review

Ok so it's been a good while and i have wanted to review CP since i got it. What can i say, i'm a procrastionator eyesre4.gif

So here it goes!

1. Animate: I heard this first on the RiR DvD- and i much preffer this, in a faster tempo. The beggining snare sounds very 'real', as in someone playing right behind me. As i have come to see on this album, it's all very raw- which reflects the style they were going for. It's nice to know Rush respect us ladies wub.gif The break near the end really makes the song i think- Geddy sings it beautifully and Neil makes me want to air drum... biggrin.gif and right at the end that climactic synth in the background.. very , well, Rush. smile.gif

2. Stick it OUT: whilst surfing the net for Rush i came upon the music video ages ago and instantly loved the song- but didn't download it or anything.... so im thrilled to 'have' it. WHAT as song, the chorus makes me want to jump up and down and sout at people. *smiles innocently* such a dark guitar riff (which is the first thing i play to make sure im in D tuning right). I never knew the A string could be that exiting (chorus im talking about). biggrin.gif and neil there with a very 'percussive' sound, if you get what i mean. It's a one off real, RAWR rush song- which is why i lvoe it so much, to get my daily RAWR from rush. Would of loved to see this live in the CP tour. I like very much.

3. Cut to the Chase- something new. This song- i think it's the bass lien that does it- makes you want to.... moooooooove.... such a cool chorus cool.gif Super lyrics, though im still not sure what 'It' is but i friggin love 'It' anyway. Brilliant solo- i just want to listen to this song, drivin fast with the windows down. Yeah! love the drum fill in the 'cut, cut' cut' bit- nice bit of channel editing there too. Always interesting!

4. Nobody's Hero: my friend put this song on the second 'batch' of songs she gave me- way back in the beginning of my rush experience. It's one of the reasons i was so drawn in- this song, YYZ, neurotica and Hemispheres part 2- an odd mix- if you can beleive it, but i'd heard like 10 other songs so far but those 4 really made me get into rush. This song is brilliant- it's got the emotive strings in it, *superb* lyrics and a soaring solo- short but sweet liek the best of them. It's sad how some dismiss this song as the 'gay' song. well not me- it's one of my most cherished songs because it was the first time i got to see the 'real' side of rush- the emotive and thoughtful side.

5. i had the R30 live verson of this and, well, i kinda dismissed it. I gobbled up vital signs (lol i got R30 before i got Moving pictures!) but this song didn't really capture my attention. It's not bad- it's alright, nice drumming but, i guess is just don't liek that whole 60's guitar thing. but like all rush songs, one day i will 'get' it and ill be all over it. the lyrics are kinda. Well, 'why the sun?' 'ah yes to yes?' laugh.gif soem nice verses but maybe Dubois shoudl keep his poems to himself from now.

6. Alien Shore: I loved it fro mthat super cool first guitar riff. How smooth is that? The weird alien in the beginning is worring though. i spent ages trying to figure out what it was. What brilliant lyrics! Hehehe Geddy.... drool1.gif Anyway, Rush are probably the best band to look up to. What other band will sing about stuff like this- animate, nobody's hero and alien shore. Rush for Rulers of the World smile.gif Nice bit of bass here too. fiddly.

7. A beautiful song- wonderful vocals from the gedster. 'where two halves make two wholes'- wonderful. the bit before 'we dotn have to talk' is so groovy- my favourite part of the song. and of course the snare march at the end, very powerful.

8. Double Agent: What a song. What a song. It just goes to so many places- where do i begin- the spoken vocals...... oh my geddy..... bound up and wound up so tight.... wub.gif and the wilderness of mirrors part- almost magical, i don't knwo how else to explain it. it's a great atmospheric song. drumming is so spot on too, well, as always but. rush just blow me away. it's such a different song for them but they pull it off more than well they pull it off exellently. my favourite part, definatly the wilderness of mirrors bit (high five to wilderness of mirrors on one of the coolest names on the forum now). and the end of the 'story'. The choice between darkness and light.

9. Leave that Thing Alone: what a smooth song. I've had this song for ages, but i can stil lclose my eyes and it just takes you to another place. it's sooooo relaxing. and groovy. the drums at 00.56 are just so awesomeness- then the following rock-out guitar bit, and bass fill, what a juicy song. And a perfect solo to boot- it just keeps goign higher! and the weird noises... Very underatted, but all of Rush's instrumentals deserve their own fan clubs really.

10. Cold Fire: My second ever favourite rush song. The friend who introduced me to rush had this as her favourite song- i remember how she commented o nthe lyrics- phospherescent wave on a tropical sea- we were both impressed. I love this song... i mean, i have known it since 'the beginning', and it still gives me chills. What a rocking riff- the beggining one and chorus- brilliant. and the bit at the end has taken me over a year and lookign at the lyrics to know what he's saing. i really had no idea and didnt even try untill i got the CD. hehe.

11. Everyday Glory, very interesting guitar bit. Touching lyrics- it's and alright song but, it dosn't grab me. again im usre one day this song will hit me and i will love it- the chorus is great, very powerful.

Counterparts is a great album- finally Rush rock out a bit, try some new things. What i find with neil's drumming is that you could just listen to the drum part and be interested enough with nothing else. The way he uses the cymbals- like i have said before, like seasoning and spices to a song. im not sure why but for some reason i thought the pass was on this album- which is odd because that's never happened before. I love the overlying theme- it's a very special album i think. I think my favourites, Stick it out, Double agent, alien shore, cold fire and leave that thing alone. - in that order off this album.

and also- best album artwork i have seen so far. and the CD is pretty cool too. i spent ages just looking at all the different stuff in the cover!gives me a wonderful warm feelign inside knowing that rush put that little bit extra time in to make the album artwork as cool as it is.

hope you enjoyed the review- now rest your eyes in a nice relaxing eyebath. unsure.gif

Archived