Dog Years

darth by tor

QUOTE (darth by tor @ Jan 28 2005, 08:02 PM)
Utter Crap, 062802puke_prv.gif as is the majority of T4E.
What were they thinking???!!!

Let's hear some of your musical endeavours then we can jusdge if you're qualified to call something crap

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 28 2005, 03:27 PM)
Utter Crap, 062802puke_prv.gif  as is the majority of T4E.

Let's hear some of your musical endeavours then we can jusdge if you're qualified to call something crap

Slaine mate, I took your advice and started listening to T4E more, in particular, this track. I started to wonder if there was a completly different meaning to the song...and its nothing at all about dogs...a bit like The Trees actually.

Certain words in the song relate to 7-years and the itch, the bitch etc. Could this really be a song about the 7-year itch and people splitting up because of having affairs or something. It struck me after listening to this only today. It ain't so bad after all, and neither is T4E for that matter.

Discuss...

...in fact the only songs I really don't like are Virtuality and Carve Away the Stone. I am a convert. Never thought I'd say this about T4E...

My fave song apart from Resist is the excellent instrumental Limbo... biggrin.gif

Ok, there are obviously some "Dog Lovers" out there!

I dont have any musical endeavours to submit to the board to see if im justified in calling something crap (Although my band are recording soon) but i feel Im in a postition to be able to spot a turd amongst the rush canon.

If The guys had any faith in the track at all then why doesnt it make the setlist?

It stinks and they know it!

Correct me if im wrong but wasnt there a quote in Contents Under Pressure about Neil being hungover when he penned it. Jesus! if thats what the Macallam does to you trink39.gif I'll stick to JD thank you very much!

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 28 2005, 03:36 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 28 2005, 03:27 PM)
Utter Crap, 062802puke_prv.gif  as is the majority of T4E.

Slaine mate, I took your advice and started listening to T4E more, in particular, this track. I started to wonder if there was a completly different meaning to the song...and its nothing at all about dogs...a bit like The Trees actually.

Certain words in the song relate to 7-years and the itch, the bitch etc. Could this really be a song about the 7-year itch and people splitting up because of having affairs or something. It struck me after listening to this only today. It ain't so bad after all, and neither is T4E for that matter.

Discuss...

I sit proudly in this boat. Huge fan of T4E - huge fan of Dog Years. Welcome aboard Ricky!!! Good job in filling the ship, Slaine!!! yes.gif

QUOTE (darth by tor @ Jan 28 2005, 08:50 PM)
I dont have any musical endeavours to submit to the board to see if im justified in calling something crap (Although my band are recording soon) but i feel Im in a postition to be able to spot a turd amongst the rush canon.
If The guys had any faith in the track at all then why doesnt it make the setlist?
Correct me if im wrong but wasnt there a quote in Contents Under Pressure about Neil being hungover when he penned it. Jesus! if thats what the Macallam does to you trink39.gif I'll stick to JD thank you very much!

Personally, I don't think anyone is justified in calling anything crap, that's the point I'm making. If you don't like something, that's fine but just because you don't like it, that doesn't make it crap.

As for my own position on Dog Years, I'll just quote what I said in the other thread

"I don't know why, it just seems to tickle something inside me. In addition, there's a sponteneity (probably spelled wrong) about that I like, especially when you consider the torture neil goes through writing his lyrics (he's commented on that in various places). The fact that the lyrics to Dog Years seem to have been dashed off in a couple of hours make a nice contrast.

To paraphrase the Rolling Stones, 'I know its only Dog Years but I like it.' ".

But that's not the issue of this post. Frankly, I'm getting a bit tired of people autiomatically considering anything they don't like to be crap when their own musical ability is unestablished. I'm not a professional musician so I don't feel qualified to call anything produced by a professional musician crap. If I don't like something, I'll say so and try to explain what it is I don't like about it. That's my right and the right of everyone in the world.

To just call something you don't like crap what the way I'd expect a reader of Smash Hits to define something they don't like.

Come on, why don't you like Dog Years. Give us some specifics even if its just to say that it doesn't strike a chord with you.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 28 2005, 06:47 PM)
QUOTE (darth by tor @ Jan 28 2005, 08:50 PM)
Correct me if im wrong but wasnt there a quote in Contents Under Pressure about Neil being hungover when he penned it. Jesus! if thats what the Macallam does to you  trink39.gif I'll stick to JD thank you very much!

Personally, I don't think anyone is justified in calling anything crap, that's the point I'm making. If you don't like something, that's fine but just because you don't like it, that doesn't make it crap.

As for my own position on Dog Years, I'll just quote what I said in the other thread

"I don't know why, it just seems to tickle something inside me. In addition, there's a sponteneity (probably spelled wrong) about that I like, especially when you consider the torture neil goes through writing his lyrics (he's commented on that in various places). The fact that the lyrics to Dog Years seem to have been dashed off in a couple of hours make a nice contrast.

To paraphrase the Rolling Stones, 'I know its only Dog Years but I like it.' ".

But that's not the issue of this post. Frankly, I'm getting a bit tired of people autiomatically considering anything they don't like to be crap when their own musical ability is unestablished. I'm not a professional musician so I don't feel qualified to call anything produced by a professional musician crap. If I don't like something, I'll say so and try to explain what it is I don't like about it. That's my right and the right of everyone in the world.

To just call something you don't like crap what the way I'd expect a reader of Smash Hits to define something they don't like.

Come on, why don't you like Dog Years. Give us some specifics even if its just to say that it doesn't strike a chord with you.

I'm definitely with you on this one Slaine......

I for one like Dog Years and Virtuality is one of my faves, I enjoy the music although the lyrics on Dog Years don't really inspire me much. I really don't think most of the lyrics on T4E were meant to be real deep, just kinda pointing stuff out here and there. I think this may be way so many people don't like it...... but like Slaine said that doesn't mean it is "crap", just that it's different and you don't really like it that much. I really like T4E, it's one of my favorites.

Archived