Vapor Trails Is Genius

My_Shrimp_Cot

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 28 2005, 10:13 AM)
QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Jan 28 2005, 10:10 AM)
It is quite possible (likely even) that we will all get our shiny, clean, remastered VT CD's and end up prefering the old one.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ummmm, maybe?

rofl3.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Jan 27 2005, 10:48 PM)
If you consider the songs seperately.

Here is the problem in my opinion.

Each song envokes an entirely different emotion lyrically and musically, but each song has a similar SOUND.

RUSH is asking us to feel and react differently through each song without changing the timbre of the music.

This is only possible through either multiple listenings of the CD (2 years worth??) Or as I said earlier consider one song at a time. It is not possible (for me) to listen to more than 4 songs in a row without feeling drained.

It is a challenging recording, but I truly love it for that reason  smile.gif

any thoughts?

Welcome back My Shrimp Cot! Not seen you around in ages. trink39.gif trink38.gif

I HATED this album when I first got it. Every song sounded the same...and it all sounded like a mish-mash of noise. I tried listening to different songs, I tried listening to all of the album, each song in turn, but could I make sense of it? Where had the complex synth sounds of Hemispheres...and the rest, gone?? Why are there no break-up of the sounds?? Why does it seem to drone on? etc etc

Now my opinion has completely changed. I don't know of a poor track on it. And everything seems to make sense. The songs all sound different now, and 'Freeze' which I thought was a disgusting mass of rubbish a couple of years ago is now one of my favourites.

Maybe they did this deliberately...the album certainly grows on you, and like you said, it has taken about two years to get used to. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 28 2005, 10:18 AM)
QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Jan 27 2005, 10:48 PM)
If you consider the songs seperately.

Here is the problem in my opinion.

Each song envokes an entirely different emotion lyrically and musically, but each song has a similar SOUND.

RUSH is asking us to feel and react differently through each song without changing the timbre of the music.

This is only possible through either multiple listenings of the CD (2 years worth??) Or as I said earlier consider one song at a time. It is not possible (for me) to listen to more than 4 songs in a row without feeling drained.

It is a challenging recording, but I truly love it for that reason  smile.gif

any thoughts?

Welcome back My Shrimp Cot! Not seen you around in ages. trink39.gif trink38.gif

I HATED this album when I first got it. Every song sounded the same...and it all sounded like a mish-mash of noise. I tried listening to different songs, I tried listening to all of the album, each song in turn, but could I make sense of it? Where had the complex synth sounds of Hemispheres...and the rest, gone?? Why are there no break-up of the sounds?? Why does it seem to drone on? etc etc

Now my opinion has completely changed. I don't know of a poor track on it. And everything seems to make sense. The songs all sound different now, and 'Freeze' which I thought was a disgusting mass of rubbish a couple of years ago is now one of my favourites.

Maybe they did this deliberately...the album certainly grows on you, and like you said, it has taken about two years to get used to. biggrin.gif

Well stated Ricky - the exact same thing happened to me. I did not get into VT for almost a full year since I bought it on its release date. The lousy sound quality just kept the songs from getting through to me. It was just noise. That is no longer the case.

The highest playcount, for me, is Ghost Rider, Stars Look Down, Vapor Trails, Secret Touch, Earthshine, Nocturne, and Freeze. The others I tend to skip over, but not to say that they are bad - in fact they are awesome. I just can't wait to get to the others.

Edited to include Secret Touch (It's my fav. Thought it - didn't type it)

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 28 2005, 10:51 AM)
Pags, also Peaceable Kingdom! yes.gif

That's a great one!!! But I must admit - I skip it. Not all the time....... but typically. I have my constants that I always go to.. and mix it up with the others every few days. To tell you the truth VT has been in my car player for countless months - I just can't get enough of listening to it. If I take it out at all - it's usually to hear the live versions of them from RIR.

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 28 2005, 10:51 AM)
Pags, also Peaceable Kingdom! yes.gif

Ok Ricky you got me. Ever since your post it's been blasting in my head - now I've finally put it on and am just JAMMING to it. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jan 28 2005, 09:16 AM)
Slim, just out of curiosity, are you a fan of the HYF album/era?

I do love HYF, yes, though it's not my favourite Rush album; I don't like it as much as Moving Pictures or Hemispheres for example.

I think of HYF as the last great Rush album, actually. I like Presto, I like Test For Echo in the main, but they don't quite have the magic of the band's stuff from their heyday.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 28 2005, 10:43 AM)
If you Well stated Ricky - the exact same thing happened to me. I did not get into VT for almost a full year since I bought it on its release date. The lousy sound quality just kept the songs from getting through to me. It was just noise. That is no longer the case.

The highest playcount, for me, is Ghost Rider, Stars Look Down, Vapor Trails, Secret Touch, Earthshine, Nocturne, and Freeze. The others I tend to skip over, but not to say that they are bad - in fact they are awesome. I just can't wait to get to the others.

Edited to include Secret Touch (It's my fav. Thought it - didn't type it)

Ceiling Unlimited is one of my favorites...and I've warmed up to One little Victory

QUOTE (Slim @ Jan 28 2005, 11:24 AM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jan 28 2005, 09:16 AM)
Slim, just out of curiosity, are you a fan of the HYF album/era?

I do love HYF, yes, though it's not my favourite Rush album; I don't like it as much as Moving Pictures or Hemispheres for example.

I think of HYF as the last great Rush album, actually. I like Presto, I like Test For Echo in the main, but they don't quite have the magic of the band's stuff from their heyday.

Except for my dislike of Test for Echo, I agree that Hold Your Fire was the last really good Rush album. I like Presto and Roll the Bones alright, but Counterparts and T4E never won me over.

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Jan 28 2005, 01:03 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 28 2005, 10:43 AM)
If you Well stated Ricky - the exact same thing happened to me.  I did not get into VT for almost a full year since I bought it on its release date.  The lousy sound quality just kept the songs from getting through to me.  It was just noise.  That is no longer the case. 

The highest playcount, for me, is Ghost Rider, Stars Look Down, Vapor Trails, Secret Touch, Earthshine, Nocturne, and Freeze.  The others I tend to skip over, but not to say that they are bad - in fact they are awesome.  I just can't wait to get to the others.

Edited to include Secret Touch (It's my fav.  Thought it - didn't type it)

Ceiling Unlimited is one of my favorites...and I've warmed up to One little Victory

yes.gif Yeah I do get really into that tune, and it is great. But for some reason, more times than not - I don't let it play through because I just can't take the wait for Ghost Rider. Believe me, though - I really do think it's a great song.

I'd bet on a cleaner sounding version of the song, I'd be into it so much more. 653.gif

QUOTE (slacker @ Jan 28 2005, 07:31 AM)
[/quote]
Thats a powerfully moving picture you have at the bottom
of your thread there doubleagent yes.gif

Ah, well thanks for the compliments guys. I'm a man of strong opinions, I love Neil's thought-provoking lyrics and I feel I'm quite a sensible person. But I must confess: I do love my good-looking women! Personally I thought Slaine woulda responded about that by now.... tongue.gif That's Kristanna Loken BTW. She's quite a hottie! drool1.gif

QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Jan 28 2005, 02:16 PM)

of your thread there doubleagent yes.gif [/quote]
Ah, well thanks for the compliments guys. I'm a man of strong opinions, I love Neil's thought-provoking lyrics and I feel I'm quite a sensible person. But I must confess: I do love my good-looking women! Personally I thought Slaine woulda responded about that by now.... tongue.gif That's Kristanna Loken BTW. She's quite a hottie! drool1.gif

I only look at DoubleAgent posts now...just to see Kristianna drool1.gif drool1.gif ...I can't post some of the words that come to my mouth....yummmmmy! I'd end up in TRF jail... laugh.gif

... wipes up the drool..... Boys, Boys, Boys........ wacko.gif

VT has been my favorite since the day it came out. I try to diversify, and keep listening to all the albums, but VT always end up back on top. I never get sick of listening to it. (And the muddiness hasn't bothered me yet - wonder if my listening will be swayed after reading TRF?)

I love message in the lyrics, and I love how the music is harder, more rock.

bekloppt.gif

Honestly, with the exception of One Little Victory, Earthshine, and perhaps the title track, I think this album is just as weak an effort as Presto. I don't think it is genius or anywhere near it. I really bought this album to be a completist, not because I like all the songs on it. I found that I like Rush with its synthesizer parts intact but in moderation, not done away with. This album was way to "heavy" for my taste, and my opinion of the album is constantly changing. For example, somedays I like the song Freeze and Ghost Rider and Secret Touch, but other days I can't stand all of the distortion on Alex's guitar. At the end of Neil Peart's latest book, Traveling Music, he listens to this record and states to the reader that, "I think we could have done better." I agree.

QUOTE (redstar86 @ Jan 28 2005, 05:37 PM)
At the end of Neil Peart's latest book, Traveling Music, he listens to this record and states to the reader that, "I think we could have done better." I agree.

And that's a great thing!! biggrin.gif yes.gif

They are never satisfied with their latest efforts. Nor should they be. They've built their entire careers on feeling they could have done better. That just means they will try again to 'get it right'. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

And we get the awesome results of their experiments.

Keep tryin' BOYS!!

I agree with a lot of what has been said.

to me, VT is Rush's most emotioanlly committed album. As has been said, Neil's lyrics have tended to be somewhat detached, here, though, they have a brave emotioanlly honesty and openess to them. Swete Miracle and Secret Touch are so personal and moving.

Alex is finally getting to meke the guitar based rock album he's been wanting to and pours his heart and soul into it, and Geddy sings with more feeling and expression than he has done for a very long time.

VT doesn't sound choreographed but the result of a real desire to express something.

In my opinion, they should stay out of the studio until they find something else they want to say or have an overwhelming desire to create, not just becasue its about time. However long it takes we'll be there.

Disco

PS Pag, Sweet Miracle, man!!

QUOTE (Disco @ Jan 30 2005, 03:02 PM)
I agree with a lot of what has been said.

to me, VT is Rush's most emotioanlly committed album.  As has been said, Neil's lyrics have tended to be somewhat detached, here, though, they have a brave emotioanlly honesty and openess to them.  Swete Miracle and Secret Touch are so personal and moving.

Alex is finally getting to meke the guitar based rock album he's been wanting to and pours his heart and soul into it, and Geddy sings with more feeling and expression than he has done for a very long time.

VT doesn't sound choreographed but the result of a real desire to express something.

In my opinion, they should stay out of the studio until they find something else they want to say or have an overwhelming desire to create, not just becasue its about time.  However long it takes we'll be there.

Disco

PS Pag, Sweet Miracle, man!!

Disco - HAHA laugh.gif

Sweet Miracle was actually the one I was going to say should be dropped from the track list altogether. tongue.gif It's such an interruption of the good stuff happening during that part of the album. Earthshine should go right into Nocturne, imo.

I dunno - it's a good song and all. Very touching lyrics I suppose. It's made its point to me, and I've moved on from it. Sorry. confused13.gif

However!!!! It's NOT a knock to any of you who like it. I get it - it's a good song. If it plays I certainly don't suffer through it.

laugh.gif This is so great. VT is the first disc in many years I can listen to all the way through and not have a track that I "sit through" to get to the good stuff. The different opinions are a blast to read.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jan 30 2005, 03:52 PM)
laugh.gif This is so great. VT is the first disc in many years I can listen to all the way through and not have a track that I "sit through" to get to the good stuff. The different opinions are a blast to read.

I love Vapor Trails. It's such a great album. trink39.gif

I must confess that I'm still struggling with Vapor Trails, even now. I won't say that I dislike the album, there are some parts that I find immensly enjoyable (One Little Victory, Ghost Rider, Earthshine, Secret Touch being particular stand outs).

The problem is with the sound. Not because, like some others have said, I can't get past the poor mastering to the songs beneath, although that is part of the problem. As I have said before, I have a slight hearing impairment (caused by years of being a lighting engineer for a club band whose lighting multicore was too short and, as a result, the desk had to be set up diectly in fron of the PA) and, as a result, I have trouble with higher frequencies. Due to this, I find Vapor Trails physically painful to listen to at times and no amount of fiddling with EQ remedies it. However, I am perservering and will probably buy a remastered version in the hope that this has been rectified.

Wow! Y'all are so smart with all your knowledge of recording and stuff. I don't know anything about that, but I know what I like to hear. yes.gif

When I first bought VT, I put it on and turned it up really loud expectantly, and the ferocity startled me. laugh.gif I felt assaulted.

These days, I try to trick mysnelf into not knowing when or what song is coming on next so that I can get that same 2.gif .

Woohoo! Vapor Trails is the best. I love every song on it. 653.gif

btw, Double Agent, that picture...my sons keep coming up behind me and acting bored. I thought they just missed me, but now I think otherwise rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Jan 30 2005, 10:15 PM)
btw, Double Agent, that picture...my sons keep coming up behind me and acting bored. I thought they just missed me, but now I think otherwise rofl3.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 28 2005, 03:15 PM)

of your thread there doubleagent yes.gif

Ah, well thanks for the compliments guys. I'm a man of strong opinions, I love Neil's thought-provoking lyrics and I feel I'm quite a sensible person. But I must confess: I do love my good-looking women! Personally I thought Slaine woulda responded about that by now.... tongue.gif That's Kristanna Loken BTW. She's quite a hottie! drool1.gif [/quote]
I only look at DoubleAgent posts now...just to see Kristianna drool1.gif drool1.gif ...I can't post some of the words that come to my mouth....yummmmmy! I'd end up in TRF jail... laugh.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif yes.gif drool1.gif drool1.gif drool1.gif

Archived