Vapor Trails Is Genius

My_Shrimp_Cot

If you consider the songs seperately.

Here is the problem in my opinion.

Each song envokes an entirely different emotion lyrically and musically, but each song has a similar SOUND.

RUSH is asking us to feel and react differently through each song without changing the timbre of the music.

This is only possible through either multiple listenings of the CD (2 years worth??) Or as I said earlier consider one song at a time. It is not possible (for me) to listen to more than 4 songs in a row without feeling drained.

It is a challenging recording, but I truly love it for that reason smile.gif

any thoughts?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vapor "Trials" is genius? So is Vapor "Trails". wink.gif smile.gif

To me, it's the first "emotionally impacting" record they've done in over ten years at least.

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Jan 27 2005, 09:09 PM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Jan 27 2005, 11:07 PM)
I'm feeling drained reading this?

Also, my underwear is a bit tight.

Sometimes when I boot up my computer....

My socks smell.

Ahh, so you know, then?

AlienSmiley.gif

Reading the lyrics from Vapor Trails opened up a new perspective for me, and it also made me somewhat more sensitive in interpeting the feelings of others and wording what I have to say. There is no doubt that VT is a powerfully moving record, and that Neil is a powerfully moving writer.

2.gif

QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Jan 27 2005, 08:18 PM)
Reading the lyrics from Vapor Trails opened up a new perspective for me, and it also made me somewhat more sensitive in interpeting the feelings of others and wording what I have to say. There is no doubt that VT is a powerfully moving record, and that Neil is a powerfully moving writer.

2.gif

Sorry dude, I didnt get a word you said drool1.gif

Ah huh to all that.

Yep, on Vapour Trails Rush remembered they're a rock band and played with hugh intensity. Peart's drumming is the freest he's ever played.

Lyrically he's got something real to say from an emotional point of view.

(shame about the mastering etc etc)

I agree that it is a 'rock' album, full of life and great writting. Plenty of power here.

I just can't listen to it! It's the single most, sonically incorrect recording I have ever heard...period! I wears me out, well it did before it became my drink coaster.

The question has been asked...what is the best rush album? I say VT Remastered!

Lyrically, it's the first album on which Neil's writing is personally motivated IMO. Previous lyrics are like treatises on human behaviour based on dispassionate observation and informed by detached analysis.

VT represents Neil's first real foray into lyric writing informed by personal experience and is all the better for it.

I agree with the comments about the sound, it is a bit like being bludgeoned over the head with a blunt instrument at times. VT Remaster?? - I'm first in the queue.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Jan 28 2005, 06:57 AM)
I agree with the comments about the sound, it is a bit like being bludgeoned over the head with a blunt instrument at times. VT Remaster?? - I'm first in the queue.

I'll be first in line the day it goes on sale new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jan 28 2005, 04:15 AM)

That's te best line I've hear for ages.

Madra, I so absolutely agree with what you say.

After T4E, I thought well it's time to call it a day, but on VT it's all from the heart. An ablum that had to be made by the fire that burns inside, rather than ' hey lets do another ablum.

QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Jan 27 2005, 11:18 PM)

2.gif

Thats a powerfully moving picture you have at the bottom

of your thread there doubleagent yes.gif

Damn I feel like I should be quoting everybody with the good posting icon. I agree that VT is amongst the greatest of their releases and I find great things in every one of their albums. There are none I dislike - so it's a strong statement about VT.

While I hate it.... I try to listen past the awful sound quality because the material is just THAT good. I always wind up wrestling with my EQ controls but it never helps. All it does it get me into potential car wrecks.

AH - and DoubleAgent, thanks!! You gave me a nice dosage without me having to visit questionable websites. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I quite like some of VT's songs: Ghost Rider, Earthshine, Vapor Trail, Peaceable Kingdom (overlooking its lyrics) - but I dislike most of them, strongly in some cases - for example How It Is I find to be unbearably syrupy, whiny and cheesy, and Freeze is a shocker - a moderately interesting piece of music with a hopelessly incoherent vocal melody, if I can dignify it with the term. The record company probably shouldn't have allowed it to have been pressed onto CDs, in my view.

More generally, the production, even on the tracks I like, is not to my taste - far too many layers, far too busy, and a remaster wouldn't fix that.

Overall, not one of their better records at all, to my mind.

QUOTE (Slim @ Jan 28 2005, 09:13 AM)
I quite like some of VT's songs: Ghost Rider, Earthshine, Vapor Trail, Peaceable Kingdom (overlooking its lyrics) - but I dislike most of them, strongly in some cases - for example How It Is I find to be unbearably syrupy, whiny and cheesy, and Freeze is a shocker - a moderately interesting piece of music with a hopelessly incoherent vocal melody, if I can dignify it with the term. The record company probably shouldn't have allowed it to have been pressed onto CDs, in my view.

More generally, the production, even on the tracks I like, is not to my taste - far too many layers, far too busy, and a remaster wouldn't fix that.

Overall, not one of their better records at all, to my mind.

Slim, just out of curiosity, are you a fan of the HYF album/era?

QUOTE (BigG @ Jan 28 2005, 07:18 AM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jan 28 2005, 04:15 AM)

After T4E, I thought well it's time to call it a day, but on VT it's all from the heart. An ablum that had to be made by the fire that burns inside, rather than ' hey lets do another ablum.

Whats an ablum?

QUOTE (Huck @ Jan 28 2005, 09:18 AM)

Whats an ablum?

doh.gif Oh that just hurts.

My favorite album is "Hold Your Fire". I used to think that some of the emotion would have left the music if the keyboards were to be abandoned altogether.

But with Vapor Trails I was proven wrong. It has a lot of emotion and feeling as Hold Your Fire does. And yet, both albums are very different sonically.

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Jan 28 2005, 10:10 AM)
It is quite possible (likely even) that we will all get our shiny, clean, remastered VT CD's and end up prefering the old one.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Archived