Ask Treeduck boxing questions !

Tick

Pyror or Leonard? :hail:

Leonard, I think he was slightly bigger than Pryor and he did go on to beat Duran, Hearns and Hagler etc. I don't think Pryor would have beaten those guys as a pro but they'd have been entertaining fights.

You are correct.

Junior welterweight was the highest weight class Pryor ever fought. Leonard was a welterweight at first and went all the way up to super middleweight. They were never in the same weight class.

I picked Leonard for the same reason. Better class of opponent.

Pryor was a great fighter though.

I think I know why troutman brought it up though... Back in 1982 when Leonard was still at welterweight Pryor signed to fight Leonard for the undisputed world title. Before that though Leonard had to fight Roger Stafford and after the fight the news came out that Ray had got a detached retina. He subsequently retired and the fight never happened. So instead Pryor had the legendary fights with Alexis Arguello in late 1982 and 1983 and by the time Leonard came back in 1987 Pryor had been out for two years because of drug addiction. He came back in August that year and lost to Bobby Joe Young and it was obvious he wasn't the same fighter anymore..

Edit: Actually the fight with Stafford didn't happen either. Leonard's last fight before he retired was against Bruce Finch and he was in training when he realised he had the eye injury, so that fight was cancelled along with plans to fight Pryor.

I remember Leonard getting an eye injury but I didn't remember talk of a fight with Pryor.

Interesting stuff.

I'm pretty sure Pryor was offered the fight with Leonard in 1980 as well for the WBC title, I think the offer was $500,000 and he turned it down. He also had the chance to fight Duran in 1981 for $750,000 but after a 140 lb unification fight with Saoul Mamby fell through because the promoter disappeared amid allegations he was involved in a multi million dollar bank fraud, his attorney advised him not to sign anything until he worked out a contract with his new manager. By the time everything was worked out the chance to fight Duran was gone.

Leonard, I think he was slightly bigger than Pryor and he did go on to beat Duran, Hearns and Hagler etc. I don't think Pryor would have beaten those guys as a pro but they'd have been entertaining fights.

You are correct.

Junior welterweight was the highest weight class Pryor ever fought. Leonard was a welterweight at first and went all the way up to super middleweight. They were never in the same weight class.

I think I know why troutman brought it up though... Back in 1982 when Leonard was still at welterweight Pryor signed to fight Leonard for the undisputed world title. Before that though Leonard had to fight Roger Stafford and after the fight the news came out that Ray had got a detached retina. He subsequently retired and the fight never happened. So instead Pryor had the legendary fights with Alexis Arguello in late 1982 and 1983 and by the time Leonard came back in 1987 Pryor had been out for two years because of drug addiction. He came back in August that year and lost to Bobby Joe Young and it was obvious he wasn't the same fighter anymore..

Edit: Actually the fight with Stafford didn't happen either. Leonard's last fight before he retired was against Bruce Finch and he was in training when he realised he had the eye injury, so that fight was cancelled along with plans to fight Pryor.

I remember Leonard getting an eye injury but I didn't remember talk of a fight with Pryor.

Interesting stuff.

I'm pretty sure Pryor was offered the fight with Leonard in 1980 as well for the WBC title, I think the offer was $500,000 and he turned it down. He also had the chance to fight Duran in 1981 for $750,000 but after a 140 lb unification fight with Saoul Mamby fell through because the promoter disappeared amid allegations he was involved in a multi million dollar bank fraud, his attorney advised him not to sign anything until he worked out a contract with his new manager. By the time everything was worked out the chance to fight Duran was gone.

I was pretty young then. I don't remember all of that.

You are correct.

Interesting stuff.

I was pretty young then. I don't remember all of that.

All these fights that didn't happen involving Pryor and Leonard and Pryor and Duran obviously weren't as widely publicized as the fights that actually happened and Pryor wasn't anywhere near as big a name as Leonard, Duran and Hearns anyway. Even after the Arguello fights he wasn't that big a star beyond hardcore fight fans.

You are correct.

Well, Leonard has always been my favorite with Pryror a close second. I just thought it would have been interesting if it had ever happened.

You are correct.

Well, Leonard has always been my favorite with Pryror a close second. I just thought it would have been interesting if it had ever happened.

Who would you pick?

• Like 2

You are correct.

Who would you pick?

That's a tough one. I would choose Leonard but would hate either one losing.

You are correct.

Who would you pick?

What about Hagler vs Pryor?

You are correct.

Who would you pick?

Pryor.

You are correct.

Who would you pick?

Pryor.

I doubt that, Hagler losing to a 140 pound fighter? Even Duran didn't beat Hagler and he had a similar style to Pryor.

You are correct.

Who would you pick?

I know you aren't asking me but I would take Leonard.

You are correct.

Who would you pick?

What about Hagler, Hearns and Duran versus Pryor? (obviously one at a time :16ton: )

You are correct.

Who would you pick?

What about Hagler, Hearns and Duran versus Pryor? (obviously one at a time :16ton: )

Pryor beat Hearns as an amateur. I think he doesn't handle Haggler. Duran? that would have been juicy.

You are correct.

Who would you pick?

Pryor beat Hearns as an amateur. I think he doesn't handle Haggler. Duran? that would have been juicy.

Yeah I know about the amateur fight, I think though that in the pros Hearns would have too much power for Pryor. Check this out as a reminder and remember Duran had never been knocked out before and no one knocked him out like this after:

You are correct.

Who would you pick?

Pryor.

I doubt that, Hagler losing to a 140 pound fighter? Even Duran didn't beat Hagler and he had a similar style to Pryor.

I am just telling you who I would root for.

You are correct.

Who would you pick?

Pryor.

I am just telling you who I would root for.

Oh well alright. :hail:

You are correct.

Who would you pick?

Yeah I know about the amateur fight, I think though that in the pros Hearns would have too much power for Pryor. Check this out as a reminder and remember Duran had never been knocked out before and no one knocked him out like this after:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svSnIb0tWt4

I've seen it. I remember it. Pryor had a hell of a chin though.

As a pro he probably doesn't beat any of those guys.

You are correct.

Who would you pick?

Pryor.

You're nuts.

Hagler was one of the toughest nuts there was to crack. Plus he was much bigger than Pryor.

You are correct.

Who would you pick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svSnIb0tWt4

I've seen it. I remember it. Pryor had a hell of a chin though.

As a pro he probably doesn't beat any of those guys.

So did Duran, that's the only clean knockout of Duran's career and don't forget he was really a lightweight and he was winning world titles at middleweight beating Iran Barkley the guy who knocked out Hearns, crushing Davey Moore at light-middleweight, taking Hagler 15 rounds none of these guys even hurt Duran.

You are correct.

Who would you pick?

Pryor.

You're nuts.

Hagler was one of the toughest nuts there was to crack. Plus he was much bigger than Pryor.

You're nuts for typing such a thing. We will never know now will we? Plus, my point wasn't that I thought he would win. My point was I liked Pryor a lot more as a boxer. BTW, you probably thought the same thing about Buster Douglas vs Mike Tyson. Until the unthinkable happened. Being bigger and stronger is no guarantee in any fight.

Edited by troutman

Spence Jr. broke Brooks other eye.

What the f**k is up with Kell's eyes? I have heard of a glass jaw but not glass eyes! LoL!

He needs some calcium injections in his skull.

Kell was winning early but he seemed to fade down the stretch. I have to wonder if getting down to 147 might be too much for him. Maybe he should fight more at 154.

Spence Jr. broke Brooks other eye.

What the f**k is up with Kell's eyes? I have heard of a glass jaw but not glass eyes! LoL!

He needs some calcium injections in his skull.

Kell was winning early but he seemed to fade down the stretch. I have to wonder if getting down to 147 might be too much for him. Maybe he should fight more at 154.

I think that's what he will do, he, his trainer and Eddie Hearn have all said as much after the fight. Hearn says Brook will get the eye fixed then fight at the end of the year then fight for a title at 154 next year.