Ask Treeduck boxing questions !

Tick

You know you are too old when: Tonight Boxer Bernard Hopkins age 51, fights Joe Smith, and I swear this is true, he is 4 months older than Rue McClanahan was when 'Golden Girls' premiered.

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag153/Freedom80065/20160115-2-hopkins_zpsl4ukgcyc.jpghttp://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag153/Freedom80065/MV5BMTk3NTg4MjQxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDAzODM1Mw._V1_UX214_CR00214317_AL__zpsfq4uclme.jpg

You know you are too old when: Tonight Boxer Bernard Hopkins age 51, fights Joe Smith, and I swear this is true, he is 4 months older than Rue McClanahan was when 'Golden Girls' premiered.

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag153/Freedom80065/20160115-2-hopkins_zpsl4ukgcyc.jpghttp://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag153/Freedom80065/MV5BMTk3NTg4MjQxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDAzODM1Mw._V1_UX214_CR00214317_AL__zpsfq4uclme.jpg

He's the only active boxer older than me, the last one left!

• Like 1

Yikes..

Bernard Hopkins Literally Knocked Out of Ring in Final Fight Against Joe Smith Jr. - Complex

https://apple.news/A...xTkeOtl9ICP2LvA

I was watching the fight but it was pretty much a typical Hopkins fight and I dozed off. When I woke up they were interviewing Smith which told me he'd won and it had to have been a knockout but Hopkins had never been stopped. When I saw the replay I didn't expect to see him getting knocked out of the ring altogether! In the interview in his dressing room he was a typical sore loser saying that he got pushed out of the ring and that Smith was fading. He got pushed out of the ring alright, with his FIST!

Yikes..

Bernard Hopkins Literally Knocked Out of Ring in Final Fight Against Joe Smith Jr. - Complex

I was watching the fight but it was pretty much a typical Hopkins fight and I dozed off. When I woke up they were interviewing Smith which told me he'd won and it had to have been a knockout but Hopkins had never been stopped. When I saw the replay I didn't expect to see him getting knocked out of the ring altogether! In the interview in his dressing room he was a typical sore loser saying that he got pushed out of the ring and that Smith was fading. He got pushed out of the ring alright, with his FIST!

Some guys just hold on too long.

I went back and watched the Hopkins/Trinidad fight last night and was reminded just how good BHop was. No one gave him a shot in that fight and he carved Tito up. Tito should have stayed at Welterweight.

Yikes..

I went back and watched the Hopkins/Trinidad fight last night and was reminded just how good BHop was. No one gave him a shot in that fight and he carved Tito up. Tito should have stayed at Welterweight..

Well Tito did win titles at light-middleweight and middleweight with great KO's of Fernando Vargas and William Joppy.

Yikes..

I went back and watched the Hopkins/Trinidad fight last night and was reminded just how good BHop was. No one gave him a shot in that fight and he carved Tito up. Tito should have stayed at Welterweight..

Well Tito did win titles at light-middleweight and middleweight with great KO's of Fernando Vargas and William Joppy.

True.

Bump!!

Thurman VS Garcia tomorrow night.

You watching Ducky? Still got Thurman by decision?

Yeah I watched it, it started off alright, Thurman landed a really nice punch and knocked Garcia back but after the first round it gradually fizzled out into a almost boring spectacle with Thurman running around all over the ring. Thurman won the fight no doubt but took a step back as an attraction.

Edited by treeduck

Bump!!

Yeah I watched it, it started off alright, Thurman landed a really nice punch and knocked Garcia back but after the first round it gradually fizzled out into a almost boring spectacle with Thurman running around all over the ring. Thurman won the fight no doubt but took a step back as an attraction.

Two defensive counter punchers does not an interesting fight make I guess. This was a clear step up in quality of opponent for both fighters so I am not that surprised that it droned on in the late rounds.

Bump!!

Two defensive counter punchers does not an interesting fight make I guess. This was a clear step up in quality of opponent for both fighters so I am not that surprised that it droned on in the late rounds.

it was mainly Thurman, once he realised he couldn't seriously hurt Garcia he went into dancing mode.

Pyror or Leonard? :hail:

I assume you mean Aaron Pryor or Sugar Ray Leonard?

That's a tough one. Leonard was a talented and pure boxer. Pryor knocked everyone out. I think Leonard faced slightly better competition over his career though his results were mixed.

I would probably go with Leonard but its a tough comparison to make.

Good show by Anthony Joshua over the weekend. I think he should skip Tyson Fury and go straight to Deontay Wilder.

What say you Duck?

No he may have to give Wlad a rematch and then he's got mandatory challengers, Pulev and Ortiz.

Leonard, I think he was slightly bigger than Pryor and he did go on to beat Duran, Hearns and Hagler etc. I don't think Pryor would have beaten those guys as a pro but they'd have been entertaining fights.

Leonard, I think he was slightly bigger than Pryor and he did go on to beat Duran, Hearns and Hagler etc. I don't think Pryor would have beaten those guys as a pro but they'd have been entertaining fights.

You are correct.

Junior welterweight was the highest weight class Pryor ever fought. Leonard was a welterweight at first and went all the way up to super middleweight. They were never in the same weight class.

I picked Leonard for the same reason. Better class of opponent.

Pryor was a great fighter though.

Good show by Anthony Joshua over the weekend. I think he should skip Tyson Fury and go straight to Deontay Wilder.

What say you Duck?

No he may have to give Wlad a rematch and then he's got mandatory challengers, Pulev and Ortiz.

Bleh.

I hope we get these young guns in the ring together sooner rather than later.

You are correct.

Junior welterweight was the highest weight class Pryor ever fought. Leonard was a welterweight at first and went all the way up to super middleweight. They were never in the same weight class.

I think I know why troutman brought it up though... Back in 1982 when Leonard was still at welterweight Pryor signed to fight Leonard for the undisputed world title. Before that though Leonard had to fight Roger Stafford and after the fight the news came out that Ray had got a detached retina. He subsequently retired and the fight never happened. So instead Pryor had the legendary fights with Alexis Arguello in late 1982 and 1983 and by the time Leonard came back in 1987 Pryor had been out for two years because of drug addiction. He came back in August that year and lost to Bobby Joe Young and it was obvious he wasn't the same fighter anymore..

Edit: Actually the fight with Stafford didn't happen either. Leonard's last fight before he retired was against Bruce Finch and he was in training when he realised he had the eye injury, so that fight was cancelled along with plans to fight Pryor.

Edited by treeduck
  • Like 1

What say you Duck?

Bleh.

I hope we get these young guns in the ring together sooner rather than later.

Aye.

You are correct.

I think I know why troutman brought it up though... Back in 1982 when Leonard was still at welterweight Pryor signed to fight Leonard for the undisputed world title. Before that though Leonard had to fight Roger Stafford and after the fight the news came out that Ray had got a detached retina. He subsequently retired and the fight never happened. So instead Pryor had the legendary fights with Alexis Arguello in late 1982 and 1983 and by the time Leonard came back in 1987 Pryor had been out for two years because of drug addiction. He came back in August that year and lost to Bobby Joe Young and it was obvious he wasn't the same fighter anymore..

Edit: Actually the fight with Stafford didn't happen either. Leonard's last fight before he retired was against Bruce Finch and he was in training when he realised he had the eye injury, so that fight was cancelled along with plans to fight Pryor.

I remember Leonard getting an eye injury but I didn't remember talk of a fight with Pryor.

Interesting stuff.