Ask Treeduck boxing questions !

Tick

Who wins the Premier League this year?

Probably one of the usual big boys, not Leicester. And even if Leicester do win it again they won't be 5000-1. And no more 5000-1 shots will win it, that was a one-off situation.

Which was the better fight..

Barrera v Morales 1 or Ward V Gatti 1 ?

I think I'd go with Barrera v Morales because it was at a higher level and it wasn't expected, a lot of people thought Barrera was damaged goods after the Junior Jones losses. And it was back and forth round after round, I remember Jim Lampley with his commentary..."here comes Barrera, here comes Morales..." Incidentally I liked Larry Merchant's introduction just before the first bell: "The only reason this fight hasn't been described as life and death is because it's more important than that..."

• Like 2

I think I'd go with Barrera v Morales because it was at a higher level and it wasn't expected, a lot of people thought Barrera was damaged goods after the Junior Jones losses. And it was back and forth round after round, I remember Jim Lampley with his commentary..."here comes Barrera, here comes Morales..." Incidentally I liked Larry Merchant's introduction just before the first bell: "The only reason this fight hasn't been described as life and death is because it's more important than that..."

I would agree with that. It was a very exciting fight. I love how Barrera reacted when he was on the ropes.

Instead of covering up, he traded blow for blow. Really intense right to the end. I thought Barrera just edged it.

Ward v Gatty was a strange one. They must have been running on fumes from about round 6 because those punches couldn't have been very "hard".

It became a bit ridiculous with the stupid amount of punishment they seemed to be taking, yet still standing.

It was like a Rocky movie, and both fighters had zero defense. Great spectacle the first time you watch it, but after a couple of views........

I would agree with that. It was a very exciting fight. I love how Barrera reacted when he was on the ropes.

Instead of covering up, he traded blow for blow. Really intense right to the end. I thought Barrera just edged it.

Ward v Gatty was a strange one. They must have been running on fumes from about round 6 because those punches couldn't have been very "hard".

It became a bit ridiculous with the stupid amount of punishment they seemed to be taking, yet still standing.

It was like a Rocky movie, and both fighters had zero defense. Great spectacle the first time you watch it, but after a couple of views........

I liked the Gatti-Ward trilogy but if you watch each fight carefully most of the best action occurs in certain rounds, like three really great rounds or four really great rounds and the rest were much quieter. Morales-Barrera had more intensity and more action in each round on average.

If you compare the two trilogies then I'd go with Gatti-Ward, the second and third Morales-Barrera fights were not as good. The first one was the best of all six fights though.

• Like 1

Agree again.

It was such a hard fight to follow, the second was good only in flashes as far

as I remember.They were understandably not keen on another mutual beating.

I didn't see the third.

I thought the decisions were the wrong way round.

The first fight was actually the first time I had seen Barrera fight!!!!

Watching him fight,I was amazed he had lost before.

He reminded me a bit of Roberto Duran.

Agree again.

It was such a hard fight to follow, the second was good only in flashes as far

as I remember.They were understandably not keen on another mutual beating.

I didn't see the third.

I thought the decisions were the wrong way round.

The first fight was actually the first time I had seen Barrera fight!!!!

Watching him fight,I was amazed he had lost before.

He reminded me a bit of Roberto Duran.

The third one was similar to the second and like you said both guys were smart and boxed more.

Barrera got robbed!
  • Like 1

Barrera got robbed!

Yeah I thought Barrera won the first fight, but then I thought Morales won the second one. Bad judges are blight on the boxing landscape.

• Like 2

Fury or Klitschko

Brooks or Golovkin

I think Fury will win again. In the last fight Fury with his size and movement showed how to beat Wlad and it was simple, take away his jab and it takes away everything else. Wlad cannot just let right hands and left hooks go without establishing his jab. If he's not throwing jabs then he's not punching. I see the same thing happening.

When Brook first mentioned wanting to fight Golovkin back in March everyone scoffed and thought he was just talking shit because his bitter rival Amir Khan had signed to fight Canelo at 155. That's pretty much how I saw it too. As the weeks past though as the Khan fight got closer the more I began to like the fight. And then right after the Triple G vs Dominic Wade fight Golovkin and his promoter Tom Loeffler were asked about Brook's challenge. Triple G dismissed Brook as "too small" and called it "trash talk". Loeffler said he believed Brook was serious but didn't expect the fight to happen any time soon. After that we heard nothing and most people including me just assumed it was just talk and moved on.

Then a couple of months later the fight was announced and I really liked the fight, unlike a lot of other people who see it as a mismatch. Right away, even though logic would suggest otherwise I could see Brook winning the fight. And I've not changed my mind in the 9 weeks since. I see Brook totally outboxing Triple G and knocking him out in 9 rounds.

Golovkin V Brooks could be a classic, but could any of them beat this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-_8HSSzWXQ

The actor who played the Big Man was a little like that in real life. He assaulted a taxi driver in 2005, he dragged him out of the car and repeatedly punched him with the man needing hospital treatment afterwards. He also headbutted someone at Hamden Park.

I thought Brook did quite well but a good big one invariably beats a good smaller one. Brooks fight with Galovkin was more about raising his profile in the US than being a serious expectation of victory.

I thought Brook did quite well but a good big one invariably beats a good smaller one. Brooks fight with Galovkin was more about raising his profile in the US than being a serious expectation of victory.

The argument was that brook is a natural middleweight who has to cut down to make welterweight. Tonight showed that he's not at the top fighting at middleweight.

There could be some interesting matches for him at welterweight if he was looking to get name recognition. I don't think it was smart to come up to middleweight and try to topple the mountain that is GGG.

My opinion anyway.