Ask Treeduck boxing questions !

Tick

OK I just watched the Hearns/Duran fight again and yeah, Floyd would have been no match.

It's funny how you forget the details of the old fights.

Yeah that punch could have knocked down a horse. Duran never got knocked out like that or even stopped before or after, not until he was about 50 years old and even then he wasn't poleaxed like that.

Am watching hearns/leonard 1 now. The early eighties were a great time for boxing.

Aye.

OK I just watched the Hearns/Duran fight again and yeah, Floyd would have been no match.

Yeah that punch could have knocked down a horse. Duran never got knocked out like that or even stopped before or after, not until he was about 50 years old and even then he wasn't poleaxed like that.

Am watching hearns/leonard 1 now. The early eighties were a great time for boxing.

Hearns should have won the fight. He needed to box those last three rounds. He didn't and got caught.

Hearns should have won the fight. He needed to box those last three rounds. He didn't and got caught.

I think he was too big for that weight as well 6'1 with a big frame and wide shoulders. He had to be weak having drain down to 147 and in those days they had to fight at that weight no re-hydration crap like nowadays.

I miss 15 round championship fights too. Those last three rounds made the fight.

I think they stopped that completely at the end of the 80's. The Hearns-Duran fight was a 12 round title fight so the WBC had stopped 15 round fights as early as 1984.

I miss 15 round championship fights too. Those last three rounds made the fight.

I think they stopped that completely at the end of the 80's. The Hearns-Duran fight was a 12 round title fight so the WBC had stopped 15 round fights as early as 1984.

It was shortly after Mancini/Kim.

I think he was too big for that weight as well 6'1 with a big frame and wide shoulders. He had to be weak having drain down to 147 and in those days they had to fight at that weight no re-hydration crap like nowadays.

He came into that fight at 145, so yeah, his legs weren't there late.

Hagler dismantled him at 160 though and there was no real excuses there.

Hagler was a different kind of animal. I was always a big Hagler fan. There was no better finisher.

Hagler was a different kind of animal. I was always a big Hagler fan. There was no better finisher.

I think he was very strong in the mind as well. I think styles and in a lot of cases personalities make fights. Hagler had trouble with Duran. Hearns blasted him out and yet Hagler demolished Hearns.

I think he was very strong in the mind as well. I think styles and in a lot of cases personalities make fights. Hagler had trouble with Duran. Hearns blasted him out and yet Hagler demolished Hearns.

Good point.

Reading this thread makes me feel lucky to have been a fan during the 70s and 80s. So many great boxers. I was just thinking about the early Tyson fights and what an animal he was...
  • Like 1

Reading this thread makes me feel lucky to have been a fan during the 70s and 80s. So many great boxers. I was just thinking about the early Tyson fights and what an animal he was...

And if he would have fought from the mid 60's to late 70's, no one would know who he is.

And if he would have fought from the mid 60's to late 70's, no one would know who he is.

You think? He was a flat out bull with a deadly punch. I think he'd have made some noise.

You think? He was a flat out bull with a deadly punch. I think he'd have made some noise.

He isn't in the same league as Ali, Frasier or Foreman. My opinion anyway.

Ali beats him up and frustrates him. Foreman, well just watch the Foreman/Frasier fight if you want to know what a Foreman/Tyson match would look like. Frasier would be the one guy that Tyson could have stood in with but Joe was hard as a coffin nail.

I think the talent at heavy weight was on another level in the 60's and 70's. Tyson dominated heavy weight boxing at a time when the talent was very thin so it's hard to judge how good he really was. He might have been 5 -10 years too early because the division got interesting again in the mid to late 90's but by the time Mike came back, he and everyone else had gotten old.

Edited by thesweetscience

Ali beats him up and frustrates him. Foreman, well just watch the Foreman/Frasier fight if you want to know what a Foreman/Tyson match would look like. Frasier would be the one guy that Tyson could have stood in with but Joe was hard as a coffin nail.

I think the talent at heavy weight was on another level in the 60's and 70's. Tyson dominated heavy weight boxing at a time when the talent was very thin so it's hard to judge how good he really was. He might have been 5 -10 years too early because the division got interesting again in the mid to late 90's but by the time Mike came back, he and everyone else had gotten old.

Tyson-Frasier :drool:

Can you imagine?

Can you imagine?

I think Tyson would win Tyson's combination of power, hand speed, timing and accuracy would add up to a KO similar to ones Frazier suffered against George Foreman. This is the peak Tyson of 1986-88 against the best Frazier from 1969-1971.

Can you imagine?

I think Tyson would win Tyson's combination of power, hand speed, timing and accuracy would add up to a KO similar to ones Frazier suffered against George Foreman. This is the peak Tyson of 1986-88 against the best Frazier from 1969-1971.

I agree, so long as Tyson got the first strike. If Frazier got in an early shot or two to unsettle Tyson, goodnight, Mike!