Ask Treeduck boxing questions !

Tick

A fight for the ages tonight. I always used to say how unrealistic the fighting in th Rocky movies was. Tonight changed that thought forever. Wow.

A fight for the ages tonight. I always used to say how unrealistic the fighting in th Rocky movies was. Tonight changed that thought forever. Wow.

Which, Berto-Guerrero? It was absorbing and had some drama but there was too much holding and wrestling. The Ghost used that smothering in your face style that is annoying to watch, he was mauling and throwing pitty pat punches inside mostly. Berto was gutsy but he fought a terrible fight, just standing there on the ropes, he never once tried to spin him round or use his feet. He landed quite a few good uppercuts and rights but most of the time he was just a punch bag on the ropes. The Mayweather/Broner shoulder roll style he started off with in the first two rounds was laughable. Guerrero was dirty, holding and hitting for one of the knockdowns, low blows, headbutts, holding, you name it. The ref warned Berto for rabbit punching but that's where Guerrero kept putting his head so let him hit it I say.

Berto was always a protected fighter though fighting smaller guys, gatekeepers, nobodies and journeymen and not even looking good! His last two fights he's been exposed and by two smaller fighters again. What happened to his chin, he's been down 5 times against Ortiz and The Ghost and the knockdown punches didn't even look like big punches, and where was his power? Maybe he never had any or his power was in the PEDS he was on...

Neither of these guys are serious threats at welterweight.

Which, Berto-Guerrero? It was absorbing and had some drama but there was too much holding and wrestling. The Ghost used that smothering in your face style that is annoying to watch, he was mauling and throwing pitty pat punches inside mostly. Berto was gutsy but he fought a terrible fight, just standing there on the ropes, he never once tried to spin him round or use his feet. He landed quite a few good uppercuts and rights but most of the time he was just a punch bag on the ropes. The Mayweather/Broner shoulder roll style he started off with in the first two rounds was laughable. Guerrero was dirty, holding and hitting for one of the knockdowns, low blows, headbutts, holding, you name it. The ref warned Berto for rabbit punching but that's where Guerrero kept putting his head so let him hit it I say.

Berto was always a protected fighter though fighting smaller guys, gatekeepers, nobodies and journeymen and not even looking good! His last two fights he's been exposed and by two smaller fighters again. What happened to his chin, he's been down 5 times against Ortiz and The Ghost and the knockdown punches didn't even look like big punches, and where was his power? Maybe he never had any or his power was in the PEDS he was on...

Killjoy.

I loved the sheer guts of Berto. I love the determination of both fighters. As far as the holding by the ghost, that's the refs fault. The ref was weak in that fight. It was a gutsy effort you rarely see, imo.

Killjoy.

I loved the sheer guts of Berto. I love the determination of both fighters. As far as the holding by the ghost, that's the refs fault. The ref was weak in that fight. It was a gutsy effort you rarely see, imo.

Yes Ticky you're right Berto was gutsy, there's no doubt about it. I thought he was going to have to quit after the first couple of rounds.

Having said that though as a supposed welterweight puncher he should be blasting out these smaller former featherweights (although the Ghost has a big frame). Just wait till The Ghost faces a legit welterweight puncher or top fighter. HBO have hyped Berto for years but his best win is over Quintana, and Quintana's been blown away by Paul Williams in 1, Crushed by Cotto in 5, and Thurman the novice youngster beat him up last night. So his best win is against an opponent, a gatekeeper. He had a life and death struggle v Collazo a while back. He has no wins against legit welters on his ledger:

Check out his boxrec page, the only guys he knocks out are nobodies and Quintana! And journeyman Cosme Rivera knocked him down, I remember seeing that and thinking his chin was suspect...

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=283680&cat=boxer

Duck, what do you make of Freddie Flintoff, former cricketer, becoming a boxer..?

I think that they'll put him in with mugs and tomato cans who can't do any damage to him, so the fights will be bogus. They won't put him in with anything close to a top fighter because they know it would most likely be murder if they did. He'll make a little money because of who he is and his cricket fans will watch a few fights until they realise the fights are rip-offs or just two mauling bums looking terrible and interest will slowly dwindle. It'll be something like Mickey Rourke's foray into boxing, he'll have six or eight fights and then realise he's not cut out for it or he'll get injured in sparring and his career was not going anywhere anyway and then he'll retire with more fanfare than any of his fights...

(I watched a Robert De Niro film last night and when I started writing this reply I started thinking in his voice for some reason, so I found myself wrriting it in the style of Robert De Niro, and it'll read better if you imagine De Niro saying it in your mind... :D )

Edited by treeduck
  • Like 1

I'm not saying either of them will beat the top flight guys. I just admire a guy who fights for his life with both eyes closed. That is what makes me watch boxing. Both guys left it all in the ring. It was an unbeliveable 12th round. Manny or Floyd would destroy either of these guys with ease. So would Marquez and others.

Duck, what do you make of Freddie Flintoff, former cricketer, becoming a boxer..?

I think that they'll put him in with mugs and tomato cans who can't do any damage to him, so the fights will be bogus. They won't put him in with anything close to a top fighter because they know it would most likely be murder if they did. He'll make a little money because of who he is and his cricket fans will watch a few fights until they realise the fights are rip-offs or just two mauling bums looking terrible and interest will slowly dwindle. It'll be something like Mickey Rourke's foray into boxing, he'll have six or eight fights and then realise he's not cut out for it or he'll get injured in sparring and his career was not going anywhere anyway and then he'll retire with more fanfare than any of his fights...

(I watched a Robert De Niro film last night and when I started writing this reply I started thinking in his voice for some reason, so I found myself wrriting it in the style of Robert De Niro, and it'll read better if you imagine De Niro saying it in your mind... http://1.2.3.11/bmi/www.therushforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png )

So Freddie Flintoff the Pretender will be pretty much in the ring for about five minutes and bounced back out again..! :P

I'm not saying either of them will beat the top flight guys. I just admire a guy who fights for his life with both eyes closed. That is what makes me watch boxing. Both guys left it all in the ring. It was an unbeliveable 12th round. Manny or Floyd would destroy either of these guys with ease. So would Marquez and others.

Did you see Broner last week? What do you think of him? He'll move into the welterweight picture eventually, he's at lightweight now but he weighed 148 by the time of the fight.

Are you watching Cotto v Trout on Saturday? Pac v Marquez IV is the week after, then Khan is back on the 15th on Showtime with Nonito Donaire on HBO. On the 22 is a rematch between Steve Cunningham and Adamek, at heavyweight, the last fight they had at cruiserweight was one of the fights of that year. A lot of fights the in row!

Hey and there's a good welterweight fight for the IBF belt on Jan 19, between Devon Alexander and Kell Brook. Not sure of the venue yet but it'll either be Vegas, Atlantic City, New York (Brooklyn or MSG). Alexander is new to welterweight but he has wins over Randall Bailey and Maidana. Mind you boh of those guys used to be at 140. Brook is fast and slick and is a puncher, he knocked the last guy out with a jab!

(I watched a Robert De Niro film last night and when I started writing this reply I started thinking in his voice for some reason, so I found myself wrriting it in the style of Robert De Niro, and it'll read better if you imagine De Niro saying it in your mind... http://1.2.3.11/bmi/www.therushforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png )

So Freddie Flintoff the Pretender will be pretty much in the ring for about five minutes and bounced back out again..! :P

They'll find guys to make him look as good as he can be and make sure he doesn't get hurt. It'll be celebrity boxing, like a reality show. No one will be paying to see him knocked cold, well maybe a few...

Hatton in the dressing room after the fight with his wife contemplating the loss...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/25/article-0-16342CFB000005DC-367_634x495.jpg

Not to be mean but in that picture his wife looks like a drag queen.

Hatton in the dressing room after the fight with his wife contemplating the loss...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/25/article-0-16342CFB000005DC-367_634x495.jpg

Does a bit...

Does a bit...

Maybe she is one! :o :banana: :joker:

http://www.boxingscene.com/uploads/86322/haymon%20boxing%20(9).jpg

http://www.boxingscene.com/uploads/86322/haymon%20boxing%20(3).jpg

http://www.boxingscene.com/uploads/86322/haymon%20boxing%20(8).jpg

http://www.boxingscene.com/uploads/86322/haymon%20boxing%20(4).jpg

http://www.boxingscene.com/uploads/86322/haymon%20boxing%20(11).jpg

http://www.boxingscene.com/uploads/86322/haymon%20boxing%20(10).jpg

http://www.boxingscene.com/uploads/86322/haymon%20boxing%20(7).jpg

http://www.boxingscene.com/uploads/86322/haymon%20boxing%20(1).jpg

http://www.boxingscene.com/uploads/86322/haymon%20boxing%20(2).jpg

http://www.boxingscene.com/uploads/86322/haymon%20boxing%20(6).jpg