Alex Lifeson interview

Indica

Yeah, I guess Alex has to watch what he says about the USA because they might not want to work with him down in Fla.

Lerxst Lady, it sounds to me IMHO that the interviewer here got caught with his pants down and is trying to save his skin. I also have serious question about the NYE comments as well. I can't see him saying how "brutal" it was, etc etc at a point in time like this. Just doesn't seem like something he would say with the case still looming....

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 15 2004, 06:48 PM)
Lerxst Lady, it sounds to me IMHO that the interviewer here got caught with his pants down and is trying to save his skin. I also have serious question about the NYE comments as well. I can't see him saying how "brutal" it was, etc etc at a point in time like this. Just doesn't seem like something he would say with the case still looming....

Exactly. It's kind of weird because the phrasing sounds enough like how Alex talks that I can almost imagine him saying it, but he's always been too sharp and too diplomatic to just run off at the mouth like that, ESPECIALLY given what's at stake. Its the kind of thing I could hear him saying AFTER everything has been settled, but even before I had any reason to question the validity of the article, I could hardly believe that he'd say that NOW.

Oh so now he didn't say those things? Or did he say them and decide that maybe he shouldn't have then his lawyer told him that it wasn't a good idea? I'm confussed now. Did anyone get fired for spreading lies about someone?

As it stands what we know is that the author of the aritcle took quotes from three previous interviews, included them in his article in such a way as to make it appear that they were answers he elicited from Alex during the current interview. The way the article was originally posted, there was no indication that any of the material had not come from the actual interview that the author says he conducted, nor any credit given to the interviewers who actually did get those quotes from Alex. The author claims it is a "normal" practice in interviewing, though I, personally, have never heard of anyone else doing it (though I'm not an expert by any means), but even if it IS a normal practice for an author to ask a subject if he still stands by an earlier quote and then reuse that quote as part of a new article, I can almost *guarantee* you that is it NOT established practice to take a quote from someone else - even a close friend and co-worker of the subject - and claim that it is a new quote from the person being interviewed. This, however, is exactly what the author did when he took a quote from Geddy and attributed it to Alex.

As a result of these kinds of deceptive practices (leading people to believe that old quotes are actually from a new interview and leading people to believe that the subject said something that was actually said by someone else) opens the ENTIRE article to questions of credibility and opens ALL of the quotes to questions of legitimacy. You simply cannot assume that an author that recycles quotes form other articles and puts other people's words in his subject's mouth doesn't take other liberties in reporting the article.

So, what we have is an article that the author and the editor of the website that published it initially are saying IS a legitimate article and taken from a legitimate interviews, claiming that, except for the borrowed quotes, everything else is from Alex directly, but you also have an author that has very little credibilty just because of how he wrote the article.

I cannot say whether or not Alex actually said anything in that interview or not. Andy (the author) and Bart (the editor) claim that he did, but the questionable nature of the article gives all of use just cause to be skeptical about any claims regaring the article in general - including the veracity of the quotes.

So, it IS possible that Alex did say what the article says he did. And the phrasing of the quotes does sound a lot like how Alex usually speaks - based on the many interviews with him that I've read and/or heard. However, he has so far refused to discuss the NYE incident at all, and at least one interviewer was told that if the question was even raised, Alex would have to terminate the call (since he cannot talk about it for legal reason), so for him to suddenly open up to this one reporter does seem a bit suspicious. But it's not imposible.

I honestly don't know if he said it or not. I tend to think it's unlikely, but I certainly don't *know*. In either event, though, the quotes could have a detrimental effect on his situation in Florida. If he DID make those comments, then that's his problem, but if the author made them up, that's a whole different matter. So far, though, all we have is the author and editor's word that this is an authentic interview. Anthem has not conmmented either way, and until or unless they do, I don't think it can be conclusively determined if it's a legit interview or not.

Thanks LerxstLady, I appreciate your efforts on getting to the bottom of this. I had a feeling it was Alex, it just seems weird that someone would add 3 interviews together like that. But I have to admit, it was one of the better interviews I have ever read. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Indica @ Sep 18 2004, 10:09 PM)
Thanks LerxstLady, I appreciate your efforts on getting to the bottom of this. I had a feeling it was Alex, it just seems weird that someone would add 3 interviews together like that. But I have to admit, it was one of the better interviews I have ever read. 1022.gif

It's a bit like "Alex's Greatest Hits" - I have no quibbles about quoting old interviews and using alternative sources, but they should be credited.

As a journalist myself, I actually get a kick out of local papers and other outlets using stuff I've broadcast, as long as it's credited. I'm sure Double Agent (from Counterparts) moved heaven and earth to get what he got, and to see it used word for word without acknowledgement must have really angered him.

Maybe Treeduck is trying to show us the superior quality of the threads of yesteryear? :huh:

They can't be better than "Do You Listen To Rush" can they?.... :huh:
  • Like 1