Revelling in Other's Misfortunes

Necromancer

I thank Tony R for the title of this thread. trink39.gif

Over at NWW there is a thread about an unfortunate woman being videoed as she bathes from a hose in public.

While YouTube has given us the power to make our own news and entertainment, have some of us gone too far?

Even going back further than the YouTube generation. I remember watching America's Funniest Home Videos and there'd always be some vid that was either totally embarrassing to someone or featured someone getting seriously injured for laughs. There was another show called REAL TV, I believe, that also made people's pain, misery and misfortune the focal point.

Tool has a song called VICARIOUS, where they talk about the human condition to feed, "from a distance" off of other's suffering. Through news reports and other types of media, we all can't look away from whatever suffering of the day happens to be popular for the moment. Pretty much the "rubbernecking" effect you see on a highway when there is a horrible accident.

Do you agree with this sentiment? That we ALL have this vicarious need to see other's suffering? If so, why do you feel that we are like this? Does it make our own lives seem LESS PATHETIC when we watch some poor woman humiliate herself bathing in public? Do we feel blessed when we see some poor man suffer horrible injuries in an accident of some kind? Are we less trashy a person when we see some celebrity drunk out of their mind or not wearing panties?

What's the attraction? I admit, I YouTube quite often. But this clip that I seen today disgusted me and started me thinking about it in a bigger sense. I thought it might be a good discussion and brought it to Random where it would get a bigger audience.

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Apr 6 2008, 05:44 PM)
Face it Necro.

Out of habit you were in the NWW forum looking for hair tips again weren't you?

z7shysterical.gif

Almost... you forget that MY hair is BETTER than anyone's in NWW. So what I was doing was lurking for anyone who might NEED tips.

z7shysterical.gif

bolt.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 6 2008, 09:49 PM)
QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Apr 6 2008, 05:44 PM)
Face it Necro.

Out of habit you were in the NWW forum looking for hair tips again weren't you?

z7shysterical.gif

Almost... you forget that MY hair is BETTER than anyone's in NWW. So what I was doing was lurking for anyone who might NEED tips.

z7shysterical.gif

bolt.gif

doh.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 6 2008, 04:20 PM)
I thank Tony R for the title of this thread. trink39.gif

Over at NWW there is a thread about an unfortunate woman being videoed as she bathes from a hose in public.

While YouTube has given us the power to make our own news and entertainment, have some of us gone too far?

Even going back further than the YouTube generation. I remember watching America's Funniest Home Videos and there'd always be some vid that was either totally embarrassing to someone or featured someone getting seriously injured for laughs. There was another show called REAL TV, I believe, that also made people's pain, misery and misfortune the focal point.

Tool has a song called VICARIOUS, where they talk about the human condition to feed, "from a distance" off of other's suffering. Through news reports and other types of media, we all can't look away from whatever suffering of the day happens to be popular for the moment. Pretty much the "rubbernecking" effect you see on a highway when there is a horrible accident.

Do you agree with this sentiment? That we ALL have this vicarious need to see other's suffering? If so, why do you feel that we are like this? Does it make our own lives seem LESS PATHETIC when we watch some poor woman humiliate herself bathing in public? Do we feel blessed when we see some poor man suffer horrible injuries in an accident of some kind? Are we less trashy a person when we see some celebrity drunk out of their mind or not wearing panties?

What's the attraction? I admit, I YouTube quite often. But this clip that I seen today disgusted me and started me thinking about it in a bigger sense. I thought it might be a good discussion and brought it to Random where it would get a bigger audience.

I'm not sure what the attraction is, myself.

I go searching You Tube for videos of music that I like.

I have never watched more than a moment of most (so called) "reality" shows, and I used to wince at the Funniest Home Videos where someone got hurt as the camera rolled...

And when I ruber-neck at a wreck on the road, I'm just hoping to seethat the people involved are relativly O.K.

HOWEVER...

I do love going to the Darwin Awards page, and reading the inventive ways that some idiots take themselves out of the gene pool...

And anytime there's a news-bit about a stupid criminal or dumb-ass crook that let him/herself get caught, I do laugh out loud!

I can't stand the "Jackass" stuff and the variety of copy-cats...

I don't like the Wildest Police Chase Videos (or whatever they're calling it this time around)

Humiliation videos are just... the very idea bothers me.

I can laugh at myself when I fall *SPLAT* on my back in the mud...

I don't want to see someone else landing flat on their back the same way

I love a good-natured, no-one gets hurt, funny practical joke

I don't understand the mean ones.

My attraction to the Darwin page is, I guess, that I feel like an absolute GENIUS compaired to the morons that take themselves out of the gene pool...

And dumb crooks or idiot criminals... I like seeing the bad-guys get caught. And when they are real morons about it, it's like they're begging "PLEASE haul my dumb ass to jail!"

What I don't like, what I really hate, the things that make me cringe...

where innocent by-standers get hurt

When something that should be cool goes wrong

When someone films a humiliating event, rather than offer some kind of assistance

When the lowest of the low is plastered about and labled "entertainment"

Just my two pennies...

Archived