Rush Stage Antics: Someone tell me I'm not crazy

Schro

The Guitar Face post made me think of weird stuff musicians do on stage. Granted, Rush chronically does not fall into this category, which is fine by me. I'd rather their music do the talking than some schtick on stage.

Still, this means when they *do* do something out of the ordinary, it sticks out (Pun Patrol, please shoot me).

So I'd like to relate an incident I remember that stood out for me. I'm not sure, but I think it was the Counterparts tour. I was in St. Louis at the time, and could only afford lawn seats sad.gif Still, I enjoyed the heck out of myself as I always do at a Rush concert, and the Riverport Ampitheater made for a great atmosphere.

Midway through the show, the boys were really jamming and the crowd was going nuts. Then the wildest thing happened. Something that half my mind swears actually occurred, and the other half swears I made up. (then there's the 1% of my mind that's convinced I'm Geddy's evil twin brother, separated at birth, but that's for another thread) ph34r.gif

I can't tell you what song it was, but in the middle of the song, I distinctly remember seeing Neil stop playing, and stand up on his seat (or something). Then he did what I can only best describe as a Pete Townsend windmill with one of his arms (if you don't know what this is, please stop reading now and spend the requisite 2 weeks immersing yourself in The Who which you obviously skipped class on) I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that thing went around at least 3, possibly 4 revolutions.

Besides his brilliant drumming, it was the most expressive thing I've ever see Neil do in his life. 653.gif

He then stopped, calmly sat back down in his seat, and started drumming to the song again. The great part is, I loved it! Everyone loved it! The crowd went crazy! common001.gif rofl3.gif

Thing is, it happened so long ago (94-95?), and since I went by myself, I have noone to verify this with. It seems so odd for Neil to do, that now I'm beginning to doubt it actually happened. wacko.gif

Can anyone help me out here? Did any of you see Neil do this? If not, what's the wildest thing you ever saw the boys do on stage? Let's here some stories!!

Schro

icon_really_happy_guy.gif Well, I have never heard of this myself, I am not really sure what to think. Perhaps there are other people that remember the incident somewhere else. I don't think you are lying, but it does seem like a strange thing for Neil to do especially during the middle of a song. Neil doesn't seem like the type of person that would let crazy antics get in the way of him playing his music. Let us know if you hear some other news of the situation! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Schro @ Jan 24 2005, 03:30 PM)
The Guitar Face post made me think of weird stuff musicians do on stage.  Granted, Rush chronically does not fall into this category, which is fine by me.  I'd rather their music do the talking than some schtick on stage.

Still, this means when they *do* do something out of the ordinary, it sticks out (Pun Patrol, please shoot me).

So I'd like to relate an incident I remember that stood out for me.  I'm not sure, but I think it was the Counterparts tour.  I was in St. Louis at the time, and could only afford lawn seats sad.gif  Still, I enjoyed the heck out of myself as I always do at a Rush concert, and the Riverport Ampitheater made for a great atmosphere.

Midway through the show, the boys were really jamming and the crowd was going nuts.  Then the wildest thing happened.  Something that half my mind swears actually occurred, and the other half swears I made  up.  (then there's the 1% of my mind that's convinced I'm Geddy's evil twin brother, separated at birth, but that's for another thread)  ph34r.gif

I can't tell you what song it was, but in the middle of the song, I distinctly remember seeing Neil stop playing, and stand up on his seat (or something).  Then he did what I can only best describe as a Pete Townsend windmill with one of his arms (if you don't know what this is, please stop reading now and spend the requisite 2 weeks immersing yourself in The Who which you obviously skipped class on)  I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that thing went around at least 3, possibly 4 revolutions.

Besides his brilliant drumming, it was the most expressive thing I've ever see Neil do in his life.    653.gif

He then stopped, calmly sat back down in his seat, and started drumming to the song again.  The great part is, I loved it!  Everyone loved it!  The crowd went crazy!  common001.gif    rofl3.gif

Thing is, it happened so long ago (94-95?), and since I went by myself, I have noone to verify this with.  It seems so odd for Neil to do, that now I'm beginning to doubt it actually happened.  wacko.gif 

Can anyone help me out here?  Did any of you see Neil do this?  If not, what's the wildest thing you ever saw the boys do on stage?  Let's here some stories!!

Schro

Schro, were you doing much of this? cool10.gif laugh.gif

In all seriousness, during the RTB tour in Jacksonville, Fla. I had 2nd row seats right under Alex's mic and a Domino's Pizza guy was roaming around the stage with a pizza box and Al was acting like he was digging money out of his pockets to give to him. But nobody else I went with remembers this laugh.gif

Schro, were you doing much of this?  cool10.gif  laugh.gif 

Nope, can't say that's my thing.

I swear this really happened and that I was in a lucid enough state to record the event.

That said, I feel like I'm trapped in the tree dropping in the forest scenario. If Neil Peart does the windmill at your show but you can't find anyone else from the show who saw it, did it really happen? unsure.gif

Cheers,

Schro

QUOTE (Schro @ Jan 24 2005, 04:00 PM)
That said, I feel like I'm trapped in the tree dropping in the forest scenario. If Neil Peart does the windmill at your show but you can't find anyone else from the show who saw it, did it really happen? unsure.gif

Cheers,

Schro

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

I'd love to have seen Neil do that. I believe you, schro! smile.gif

Woohoo!!! I'm not crazy!!!!!!! Who'd have thought? 653.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif rofl3.gif

Turns out all I had to do was a simple search on groups.google (love that site). I got the tour wrong, it was Roll The Bones. From alt.rock-n-roll I found the following:

Mar 16 1992, 10:30 pm show options

Newsgroups: alt.rock-n-roll

From: <MPS...@psuvm.psu.edu> - Find messages by this author

Date: Monday, 16 Mar 1992 15:03:46 EST

Local: Mon, Mar 16 1992 12:03 pm

Subject: who spiked peart's punch???

Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

on thursday night at the broome county arena (rush 'roll the bones'

concert #3 for me!!!), i witnessed an amazing spectacle. during a rousing

version of 'finding my way', neil peart stood up and did the unthinkable-------

that's right, he performed an 'air guitar' version of pete townsend's patented

windmill guitar move. this was a far cry from his usual drum stick tosses.

what's next, a rush cover of 'pinball wizard'? and before somebody asks-------

no, i wasn't smoking anything!! comments?

mike s.(still rubbing my eyes!!)

-----------------

>no, i wasn't smoking anything!! comments?

>mike s.(still rubbing my eyes!!)

He did in in Chapel Hill, also....

JLWoodall

-----------------

> no, i wasn't smoking anything!! comments?

> mike s.(still rubbing my eyes!!)

Mike S! I was there... certainly the most lasting memory for me from the Bing-

hamton Roll the Bones show was Neil's Pete Townshend "impersonation." This

was the fourth show I've seen this tour and I've been continually impressed

with the band's energy level and performances. Rush truly seems revitalized

with the Roll the Bones project. Im anxious to see what's to come. Until then

"Row the Boats!" Any other Rush tour anecdotes are anxiously awaited...

Brian Grunert (friend of Ray "the Rush man.")

Here's the thread:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.ro...37845d9a72cfee7

It's a good day in Schroland - I've been redeemed!!!!! trink39.gif

(digging up Finding My Way for drive home)

QUOTE (Schro @ Jan 24 2005, 05:15 PM)
Woohoo!!! I'm not crazy!!!!!!! Who'd have thought? 653.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif rofl3.gif

Turns out all I had to do was a simple search on groups.google (love that site). I got the tour wrong, it was Roll The Bones. From alt.rock-n-roll I found the following:

Mar 16 1992, 10:30 pm show options

Newsgroups: alt.rock-n-roll
From: <MPS...@psuvm.psu.edu> - Find messages by this author
Date: Monday, 16 Mar 1992 15:03:46 EST
Local: Mon, Mar 16 1992 12:03 pm
Subject: who spiked peart's punch???
Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

on thursday night at the broome county arena (rush 'roll the bones'

concert #3 for me!!!), i witnessed an amazing spectacle. during a rousing
version of 'finding my way', neil peart stood up and did the unthinkable-------
that's right, he performed an 'air guitar' version of pete townsend's patented
windmill guitar move. this was a far cry from his usual drum stick tosses.

what's next, a rush cover of 'pinball wizard'? and before somebody asks-------
no, i wasn't smoking anything!! comments?
mike s.(still rubbing my eyes!!)

-----------------

>no, i wasn't smoking anything!! comments?
>mike s.(still rubbing my eyes!!)

He did in in Chapel Hill, also....

JLWoodall

-----------------

> no, i wasn't smoking anything!! comments?
> mike s.(still rubbing my eyes!!)

Mike S! I was there... certainly the most lasting memory for me from the Bing-
hamton Roll the Bones show was Neil's Pete Townshend "impersonation." This
was the fourth show I've seen this tour and I've been continually impressed
with the band's energy level and performances. Rush truly seems revitalized
with the Roll the Bones project. Im anxious to see what's to come. Until then
"Row the Boats!" Any other Rush tour anecdotes are anxiously awaited...

Brian Grunert (friend of Ray "the Rush man.")

Here's the thread:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.ro...37845d9a72cfee7

It's a good day in Schroland - I've been redeemed!!!!! trink39.gif

(digging up Finding My Way for drive home)

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif you witnessed something very rare, Schro, that's great biggrin.gif

There was the Jack Black's Crack episode at the Irvine show last year. moon.gif Where he came out and stood up on the dryers during 2112 and posed as the naked dude in the star.

I think my favorite thing that you can see at just about any Rush show is Geddy's Duck Walk across the stage. It's usually during a song where he's been at the Keys for awhile, then switches back to the bass and "duck walks" across the stage toward Al. It normally includes the duck head bob, which combined with his larger than normal snout makes for an entertaining moment.

GeddyFinal.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jan 24 2005, 07:55 PM)
I think my favorite thing that you can see at just about any Rush show is Geddy's Duck Walk across the stage. It's usually during a song where he's been at the Keys for awhile, then switches back to the bass and "duck walks" across the stage toward Al. It normally includes the duck head bob, which combined with his larger than normal snout makes for an entertaining moment.

GeddyFinal.gif

So, I'm not the only one laugh.gif That's good to know cool.gif

Schro!!!! I recently acquired the boot DVD "Left to Chance" from '92 in Las Vegas and during Finding My Way Neil stands on his drum stool and does a windmill!!!!

I immediately thought of you and I just had to come and tell you cool.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jan 29 2005, 11:01 AM)
Schro!!!! I recently acquired the boot DVD "Left to Chance" from '92 in Las Vegas and during Finding My Way Neil stands on his drum stool and does a windmill!!!!

I immediately thought of you and I just had to come and tell you cool.gif

Wow! Great find, Snow! I may have to venture into Different Stages and see about grabbing that.

There was this time at M.S.G in nyc...years ago..

Maybe you all seen geddy and Alex when there

in the middle of the stage in front of Neils drum set..

Well they always goof around by leaning in to each other , sometimes pretty hard..

Then that one time Alex moved at the last second and geddy went backtracking and almost fell down..Alex had to grab him..Geddy played it off but made a mock jesture to hit alex in the head..

QUOTE (Schro @ Jan 24 2005, 03:30 PM)
The Guitar Face post made me think of weird stuff musicians do on stage. Granted, Rush chronically does not fall into this category, which is fine by me. I'd rather their music do the talking than some schtick on stage.

I saw Geddy & Alex kiss each other on the lips during By-Tor once .. long time ago though, when Alex was still pretty.

Woohoo Snow!!

cool.gif

Glad to see my redemption is complete. If I had anything to share, I'd be trying to get my hands on that dvd as well.

Thanks for the post Snow, it made my day!

Schro

653.gif

Archived