Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 4 2008, 10:21 AM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 4 2008, 10:29 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 4 2008, 12:37 AM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 4 2008, 12:11 AM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 3 2008, 05:59 PM)
What's wrong with Deadwing Kudzu?

Just gets a bit too "thrashy" for me in places. I'm not much of a metalhead.

laugh.gif Sorry Kudzu. No offense. It's not metal. Before you start.... dazed025.gif give it a rest. Porcupine Tree IS NOT METAL.

They do more than flirt with metal in places. Which is fine. I just like them more when they don't.

Different strokes for different folks. I dig the harder thrashier sounds of Deadwing and especially FOABP. That is why I'm afraid that I won't like their earlier work as much as the newer stuff.

trink39.gif

You probably won't. But there are enough heavy portions of Signify and Stupid Dream (and even The Sky Moves Sideways, maybe) to keep you happy, I think. I wouldn't even bother with Up the Downstair if you aren't into meandering psychedelic explorations and space rock (closest comparison to a classic album I can think of, off the top of my head, would be Pink Floyd's Meddle).

QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 1 2008, 08:06 AM)
Since there's millions upon millions of PT threads already present, I figured I'd make one more... except this one will be for ALL PT DISCUSSION. Everything about PT shall go here I declare.

So yeah, discuss everything about them here: albums, songs, lyrics, album art, members, pills, etc.

My favorite album is Deadwing.

what is the deal with PT and pills?

my fave PT song is Anesthetize

I ran across my copy of Coma Divine, a live CD I believe from when they were touring to support Signify. Does anyone else have this? It's good, but it reminds me of Exit... Stage Left in that you can hardly tell it's a live CD. The crowd noise is practically non-existent. Good quality, though, and of course the music is amazing. Here's the track list:

Bornlivedie (Intro)

Signify

Waiting - Phase One

Waiting - Phase Two

The Sky Moves Sideways

Dislocated Day

The Sleep of No Dreaming

Moonloop

Radioactive Toy

Not Beautiful Anymore

I also found my copy of Stupid Dream, which I haven't listened to in over a year! I forgot how good it is.

Well, I 've listened to Stupid Dream about 10 or so times and starting to grow on me.

Having only listened to IA throught Nil Recurring before, my first impression of the disc was the drumming while not bad is nowhere as good as that found in IA thorugh Nil Recurring. Gavin Harrison was a excellent addition that made their music much more dynamic. Major upgrade with Gavin IMO.

Intoxicated late at night I was listening to Tinto Brass and at first I was could not recall what I was listening to as it sounds so much an early era Ozric Tentacles song. Not saying they are ripping off OT as its all been done before.........but I was struck by the similarity. I've read the two have toured together along time ago but Steve is not much of an Ozrics fan.

Early standouts- Don't hate me & piano lessons.

QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 9 2008, 08:27 AM)
Well, I 've listened to Stupid Dream about 10 or so times and starting to grow on me.

Having only listened to IA throught Nil Recurring before, my first impression of the disc was the drumming while not bad is nowhere as good as that found in IA thorugh Nil Recurring. Gavin Harrison was a excellent addition that made their music much more dynamic. Major upgrade with Gavin IMO.

Intoxicated late at night I was listening to Tinto Brass and at first I was could not recall what I was listening to as it sounds so much an early era Ozric Tentacles song. Not saying they are ripping off OT as its all been done before.........but I was struck by the similarity. I've read the two have toured together along time ago but Steve is not much of an Ozrics fan.

Stupid Dream took a long while to grow on me because it is somewhat sad or depressing. However, I do like it now quite a bit. If you play guitar, Pure Narcotic is a must learn. Very simple and easy to sing too.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 4 2008, 10:35 AM)
I have a friend who's trying to sample them...picking (arbitrarily) this song or that...and that's fine. But she's not "getting it." Perhaps she won't. But I urged her to let me burn an entire disc for her, because PT seems like the kind of band that requires digestion IN CONTEXT of an entire piece of work.

It's sort of like sampling The Wall by just listening to Vera. It's a fine enough tune, but it's more relevant (and interesting) in the context of the entire album....not just as "track 3" or whatever.

You must hear Steven Wilson speak during the XM Transmission release. I think you can still purchase it online at Burning Shed. Anyway, he talks about how it's hard to "pigeon-hole" the PT sound.

BTW...it has an absolutely awesome version of Tinto Brass. Gavin Harrison really shines on it.

QUOTE (ifloveremains @ Apr 4 2008, 12:22 PM)
I have to give PT another try. I listened through their most recent album and was pretty indifferent, but there are some Rush albums/songs I had to listen to several times before I really appreciated or even liked them (and now I love them).

I am one of those who kept trying to get into them. I only had Stupid Dream and In Absentia. It took about one year to fully appreciate what they were doing. I'm glad I didn't give up. There is a PT CD in the player at least once a week.

In fact, I'll listen to Rockpalast for my ride home tonight.

653.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 11 2008, 03:10 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 9 2008, 08:27 AM)

Intoxicated late at night I was listening to Tinto Brass and at first I was could not recall what I was listening to as it sounds so much an early era Ozric Tentacles song. Not saying they are ripping off OT as its all been done before.........but I was struck by the similarity.  I've read the two have toured together along time ago but Steve is not much of an Ozrics fan.

Stupid Dream took a long while to grow on me because it is somewhat sad or depressing. However, I do like it now quite a bit. If you play guitar, Pure Narcotic is a must learn. Very simple and easy to sing too.

Almost all of PT is depressing. I think Stupid Dream is one of their least depressing recordings. This band is somewhat of a working study in irony. The lyrics are really morose, but the music that accompanies those lyrics can be completely contrary to the message. "Piano Lessons" is a good example. Listen to that song and tell me that little Steven wasn't told that he wouldn't amount to anything as a musician by his piano teacher, but the music is "upbeat," for a lack of a better word. I guess that's why I love this band. It's so damned interesting to listen to.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 11 2008, 03:16 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 4 2008, 10:35 AM)
I have a friend who's trying to sample them...picking (arbitrarily) this song or that...and that's fine.  But she's not "getting it."  Perhaps she won't.  But I urged her to let me burn an entire disc for her, because PT seems like the kind of band that requires digestion IN CONTEXT of an entire piece of work. 

It's sort of like sampling The Wall by just listening to Vera.  It's a fine enough tune, but it's more relevant (and interesting) in the context of the entire album....not just as "track 3" or whatever.

You must hear Steven Wilson speak during the XM Transmission release. I think you can still purchase it online at Burning Shed. Anyway, he talks about how it's hard to "pigeon-hole" the PT sound.

BTW...it has an absolutely awesome version of Tinto Brass. Gavin Harrison really shines on it.

I think SW has a problem with PT being "pigeon-holed" as prog, or even anything else. Maybe he hates labels, maybe he feels like he wants the freedom to evolve the sound of the group, which has happened. What I do know is he believe prog is distinguished for its complex arrangements, and he wants PT to be known for its complex and lush production.

Wait, who poroduces PT??? Oh yeah, SW!!! Of course!! laugh.gif

I love 'em anyway!!!

I really hope the U.S. release of the CD+DVD remastered version of Lightbulb Sun later this month isn't ridiculously expensive. I love Porcupine Tree, but I'm not paying $30 for one of their studio albums.

I've just started re-listening to this band after giving them a rest for a few months.

Absolutely mind blowing stuff, truly.

In Absentia is a perfect album, and the subsequent releases are near enough perfect also (that's not forgetting the awesome pre-IA releases!)

Fantastic band smile.gif

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 13 2008, 07:09 AM)
I really hope the U.S. release of the CD+DVD remastered version of Lightbulb Sun later this month isn't ridiculously expensive. I love Porcupine Tree, but I'm not paying $30 for one of their studio albums.

Surely that's better than $100+ laugh.gif

Anyway, the great thing about PT, and I quote from my dad, is that you never know where they're going to go with the next song which is a very good thing, and applies to most of Stupid Dream. Keeps you on your toes.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 13 2008, 02:09 AM)

This is the only album I don't own, outside some live stuff and the first album. Will get this...

SW didn't want PT pigeonholed as Prog because back in the 90's it was a dirty word, even to him, and let's face it, who would want to be pigeonholed in the same genre as such a stagnant band as Dream Theater?

He's cooling to the term now because new bands that are considered prog nowadays are actually progressing somewhere.

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Apr 14 2008, 10:41 PM)
So whats the deal with the association of PT and pills? just wondering...

??????

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 15 2008, 05:49 AM)
SW didn't want PT pigeonholed as Prog because back in the 90's it was a dirty word, even to him, and let's face it, who would want to be pigeonholed in the same genre as such a stagnant band as Dream Theater?

He's cooling to the term now because new bands that are considered prog nowadays are actually progressing somewhere.

That's an interesting take. However, it fails to take into account the impact the PT had on Progressive music. Instead of saying he didn't want to be classified as prog because DT was not a good band (highly debatable) but then to say that now there are good prog bands, so now PT can be prog. What about PT being prog and making prog good again (assuming it was bad in the 90's?)

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Apr 15 2008, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 13 2008, 01:23 AM)
2 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users):
sullysue, LoneStar Boogie

Hey, how's it goin' Boogie Man! Long time, no see.  laugh.gif

Hey there SillySue!!! Pop quiz: who is Richard Barbieri???

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

sarcasm.gif

angry.gif

rage.gif

I'll never, ever live that down, will I? laugh.gif

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Apr 15 2008, 11:41 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 15 2008, 05:49 AM)

That's an interesting take. However, it fails to take into account the impact the PT had on Progressive music. Instead of saying he didn't want to be classified as prog because DT was not a good band (highly debatable) but then to say that now there are good prog bands, so now PT can be prog. What about PT being prog and making prog good again (assuming it was bad in the 90's?)

Well, just because a band has had an influence on Prog, doesn't mean you can categorise it as that. Especially some of the music that influenced prog artists in the 70's.

I can see why he wouldn't want to be classified as prog then but does now. 'Prog' bands nowadays are actually moving the genre forward. Bands like Muse, The Mars Volta etc are actually doing new things, and breaking new ground whereas in the 90's it was more a 70's throwback movement about all the things that allowed prog to die back in the day. Plus, even now, SW hasn't come out and said PT are prog, far from it. He just doesn't mind being labelled as it now, even though I'm sure he'll insist, as would I that PT are progressive, and not prog.

I hope that kind of answers the question because I really didn't know what you were trying to ask laugh.gif