Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 4 2008, 12:11 AM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 3 2008, 05:59 PM)
What's wrong with Deadwing Kudzu?

Just gets a bit too "thrashy" for me in places. I'm not much of a metalhead.

laugh.gif Sorry Kudzu. No offense. It's not metal. Before you start.... dazed025.gif give it a rest. Porcupine Tree IS NOT METAL.

Now... dig out your Metallica and your Iron Maiden and such, and leave Porcupine Tree alone. I mean, please. Even the name isn't metal. What respectable METAL band would name themselves PORCUPINE anything? Huh?

Porcupine Tree makes a point to evade labels. That's half the fun of this band.

Go bang your head. trink39.gif

I'm listening to Stupid Dream! Typical PT. confused13.gif

Deadwing does verge on metal in places, just like Fear of a Blank Planet does at times, but I'd agree with others that doesn't make them metal.

SS, the great thing about PT is there are only two labels you can give them; Inventive and truly progressive (NOT prog rock laugh.gif ). If i were in a band, I'd love to have those two labels apply to me.

Right now...after cursory listens...I lean towards In Absentia being the most diverse (least "samey") and more up my alley, style wise. But they all have quite a few great moments...and that'll grow the more I listen.

That album, however, stands out.

Stupid Dream is the most accessible of the lot I have.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 4 2008, 07:43 AM)
Right now...after cursory listens...I lean towards In Absentia being the most diverse (least "samey") and more up my alley, style wise. But they all have quite a few great moments...and that'll grow the more I listen.

That album, however, stands out.

Stupid Dream is the most accessible of the lot I have.

Yeah, i think its easy to love IA. The first 4 songs are so strong.

Did you find Stupid Dream here in town??

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Apr 4 2008, 09:20 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 4 2008, 03:14 PM)
Got all of that for under $60 including shipping.

Do you buy direct from Amazon or from sellers?

Sellers

I've had almost entirely satisfactory luck working with sellers. The only time I had a problem was ordering Rush's Different Stages and the third disc was missing. Never heard from the bloke again.

Also ordered the Rush In Rio DVD from a lady...and it showed it shipped but I never got it. Despite the tracking working in her favor, she sent out a second copy on her dime and as it turns out the copy was sitting for WEEKS in the office on the floor below ours. They were just too lazy to bring it up or call us for the longest time. Once I got it, I emailed her and sent it back right away...since she'd been kind enough to take me at my word.

That made up for the DS burn...LOL.

So, I've had pretty good luck.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 4 2008, 03:22 PM)

Sellers

Always turns out much cheaper, think I'll have a look on the British version see if the DVD is going cheap. Thanks for the reminder. cool.gif

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Apr 4 2008, 09:33 AM)

Sellers

Always turns out much cheaper, think I'll have a look on the British version see if the DVD is going cheap. Thanks for the reminder. cool.gif

No prob..!

And thanks to all you guys for keeping them in the back of my mind, both here and on TNMS.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 4 2008, 03:34 PM)

Sellers

No prob..!

And thanks to all you guys for keeping them in the back of my mind, both here and on TNMS.

Hey didn't know you were a member on T.N.M.S. What's your username?

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Apr 4 2008, 09:48 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 4 2008, 03:34 PM)

Sellers

No prob..!

Hey didn't know you were a member on T.N.M.S. What's your username?

Same as here, mate. wink.gif They call me PD and Flanders there too...LOL

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 4 2008, 12:37 AM)

laugh.gif Sorry Kudzu. No offense. It's not metal. Before you start.... dazed025.gif give it a rest. Porcupine Tree IS NOT METAL.

They do more than flirt with metal in places. Which is fine. I just like them more when they don't.

I have a friend who's trying to sample them...picking (arbitrarily) this song or that...and that's fine. But she's not "getting it." Perhaps she won't. But I urged her to let me burn an entire disc for her, because PT seems like the kind of band that requires digestion IN CONTEXT of an entire piece of work.

It's sort of like sampling The Wall by just listening to Vera. It's a fine enough tune, but it's more relevant (and interesting) in the context of the entire album....not just as "track 3" or whatever.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 4 2008, 10:35 AM)
I have a friend who's trying to sample them...picking (arbitrarily) this song or that...and that's fine. But she's not "getting it." Perhaps she won't. But I urged her to let me burn an entire disc for her, because PT seems like the kind of band that requires digestion IN CONTEXT of an entire piece of work.

It's sort of like sampling The Wall by just listening to Vera. It's a fine enough tune, but it's more relevant (and interesting) in the context of the entire album....not just as "track 3" or whatever.

And be patient with your friend. It took me a little while before I really had a grasp of FOABP and really started to appreciate PT. I don't think this is the kind of band where you experience love at first listen.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 4 2008, 10:29 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 4 2008, 12:37 AM)

They do more than flirt with metal in places. Which is fine. I just like them more when they don't.

Different strokes for different folks. I dig the harder thrashier sounds of Deadwing and especially FOABP. That is why I'm afraid that I won't like their earlier work as much as the newer stuff.

I have to give PT another try. I listened through their most recent album and was pretty indifferent, but there are some Rush albums/songs I had to listen to several times before I really appreciated or even liked them (and now I love them).

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Apr 4 2008, 10:33 AM)

Sellers

Yeah, you really have to get this DVD. It's one of my favourite concert DVDs besides Rush.