Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 2 2008, 05:31 PM)
One band is clearly better than the other, one band has a vocalist whereas one has a growler, and one band is a psychedelic band with a few heavy touches whereas the other is a death metal band with a few light touches.

I would say you gave Opeth an unfair listen then , The singer does about 40 + minutes of clean vocals on ghost reveries . And your right , one band is quite better than the other - opeth , by leagues .

And if someone was getting into rush for the first time , recommending them or comparing them to old genesis would be stupid ?

come on man - your haunted . smile.gif

Edited by rotting

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 3 2008, 12:56 AM)
Much more melodic. I don't really anticipate an "unplugged" live EP from Opeth anytime soon.

Actually the majority of Opeth's Damnation album is accoustic and pretty melodic. It doesn't have the "cookie monster" vocals as I call it lol.

An example...My fav Opeth song Windowpane live

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Apr 3 2008, 01:45 AM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 3 2008, 12:56 AM)
Much more melodic. I don't really anticipate an "unplugged" live EP from Opeth anytime soon.

Actually the majority of Opeth's Damnation album is accoustic and pretty melodic. It doesn't have the "cookie monster" vocals as I call it lol.

An example...My fav Opeth song Windowpane live

BTW Steven Wilson produced the Damnation album. It does have a prog-rock vibe to it.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 2 2008, 09:18 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 2 2008, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (rotting @ Apr 2 2008, 07:26 PM)
listening now , never heard these guys before . A little poppy for my taste - but not bad . The musicianship is good , they remind me of a opeth light . Opeth is much better though .

Comparing Opeth to Porcupine Tree is fairly stupid.

Ummmm, why is that?

One band is clearly better than the other, one band has a vocalist whereas one has a growler, and one band is a psychedelic band with a few heavy touches whereas the other is a death metal band with a few light touches.

Whoa......"clearly better", that's totally your opinion. I suggest you listen to Ghost Reveries to become somewhat familiar with Opeth, as you show you clearly aren't. Opeth are much more than "death metal with a growler".......whether you like them or not is one thing, but if you are going to trash them for stupid reasons, be prepared to take some flack.......

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 2 2008, 09:14 PM)
Ummm. Anyway, back to Porcupine Tree. eyesre4.gif

Who else has We Lost the Skyline?

ah, a fantastic release. great hearing some of their songs played solo(ish)/acoustic(ish), especially drown with me!

QUOTE (rotting @ Apr 3 2008, 04:31 AM)

I would say you gave Opeth an unfair listen then , The singer does about 40 + minutes of clean vocals on ghost reveries . And your right , one band is quite better than the other - opeth , by leagues .

And if someone was getting into rush for the first time , recommending them or comparing them to old genesis would be stupid ?

come on man - your haunted . smile.gif

Funnily enough, I have been meaning to get into them more because I've only heard great things about them. Problem is, I've only heard stuff with 'Cookie Monster' vocals on them and I don't know if I can buy a full album because the price wouldn't justify listening to someone growl on tracks. If you can suggest an album that has minimal growling and is much less symphonic than what I've heard, I'm more than happy to listen and have my mind changed.

Ah, I never said anything about recommending. I would recommend Yes, King Crimson and Genesis to anyone who was first getting into Rush, but I wouldn't compare them because the only common thing is they've written long songs at one point in their respective careers, and that;s where the comparison ends.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 3 2008, 05:57 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 2 2008, 09:18 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 2 2008, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (rotting @ Apr 2 2008, 07:26 PM)
listening now , never heard these guys before . A little poppy for my taste - but not bad . The musicianship is good , they remind me of a opeth light . Opeth is much better though .

Comparing Opeth to Porcupine Tree is fairly stupid.

Ummmm, why is that?

Whoa......"clearly better", that's totally your opinion. I suggest you listen to Ghost Reveries to become somewhat familiar with Opeth, as you show you clearly aren't. Opeth are much more than "death metal with a growler".......whether you like them or not is one thing, but if you are going to trash them for stupid reasons, be prepared to take some flack.......

Anything anyone says on a message board is totally opinion. That goes without saying, so I shouldn't have to put 'IMO' after every sentence. I was just stating my opinon, as did rotting, and then listing differences from tracks I've heard, which is an entirely valid way of doing things.

From what I've heard, and what I've been told, Opeth are a symphonic metal/death metal band and have been for their entire career, whereas Porcupine Tree have only started incorporating metal into their songs three albums ago. The early albums have hardly any heavy sections at all, and Signify and Stupid Dream have very minimal heavy sections. Have you heard these albums?

QUOTE (arctangent @ Apr 3 2008, 02:02 AM)
Ummm. Anyway, back to Porcupine Tree.  eyesre4.gif

ah, a fantastic release. great hearing some of their songs played solo(ish)/acoustic(ish), especially drown with me!

Skyline is Definatly worth it!!

QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 3 2008, 02:10 PM)
QUOTE (arctangent @ Apr 3 2008, 02:02 AM)
Ummm. Anyway, back to Porcupine Tree.  eyesre4.gif

Skyline is Definatly worth it!!

And it's not too much either!

Everyone's a winner.

Be sure to pick up the re-release of Lightbulb Sun on the 21st!!

Disc 1: Remastered Album

Disc 2 (DVDA): Whole album in 5.1 surround plus bonus DVDA material including..

Dissepear, Buying New Sould, Cure for Optimism, and the origional 2000 mix/master

Disc 3 (only available through pre-order through the PT store): Novak. amd Buying New Soul (Origional Istrumental Recording)

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 2 2008, 11:56 PM)
You clearly like, what's it called? Symphonic death metal?

Not really , Outside opeth, dream theater, I dont really like too many over-melodic key's or synth's In my music . Like lets say - children of bodom ?

I prefere my death metal straight forward - kick to the teeth punishing

like lets say - lordgore ??

Anyways - sorry to slightly derail this thread , Porcupine tree I have never heard of until joining this rush forum , and I thank you for a new band that will definately recieve future listen's from me smile.gif

QUOTE (rotting @ Apr 3 2008, 04:08 PM)

Not really , Outside opeth, dream theater, I dont really like too many over-melodic key's or synth's In my music . Like lets say - children of bodom ?

Anyways - sorry to slightly derail this thread , Porcupine tree I have never heard of until joining this rush forum , and I thank you for a new band that will definately recieve future listen's from me smile.gif

By the way, what albums/songs have you heard?

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 3 2008, 12:19 PM)

When i hear of a band , in this bands case - three days ago , I first go to their myspace - I think they have 8 songs up or something , so I gave all of it a listen .

QUOTE (rotting @ Apr 3 2008, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 3 2008, 12:19 PM)

When i hear of a band , in this bands case - three days ago , I first go to their myspace - I think they have 8 songs up or something , so I gave all of it a listen .

Nice! You're going to like their latest releases then; In Absentia, Deadwing and Fear Of A Blank Planet. If you can find them, it'd be a good investment, especially Deadwing.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 3 2008, 07:47 PM)
Oh Christ, right now that's a bit intimidating...LOL. I feel I'm the last guy to the party at this moment. biggrin.gif

I'm the most ill-informed fan on the planet.

laugh.gif

You're fully informed as soon as you listen to an album as far as I'm concerned. Plus, that'd mean you'd only be talking about the music.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 3 2008, 02:32 PM)
Very different...one from another...these PT records.

That's the beauty of them. cool.gif Glad to hear of your enjoyment. Those albums will only grow on you more.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 3 2008, 12:30 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 3 2008, 07:25 PM)
Right now I have:

Stupid Dream
In Absentia
Deadwing
Fear Of A Blank Planet

...all I've managed to listen to at least twice so far.  Total newbie here.

You got Stupid Dream! Nice one, very good investment.

Pretty good haul in general. I don't have In Absentia (just "Trains") and I can't listen through Deadwing (though "Lazarus" and "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" are two of my favorite PT tracks), but Stupid Dream is awesome and Fear of a Blank Planet is solid.