Official Porcupine Tree Thread

• Please log in to reply
3620 replies to this topic

#3601 Retrospective

Retrospective

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • Interests:I am a dreamer and a poet. I like music also.
    Lighting and Sound Design student at Boston University.
    Married to Steven Wilson.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

View Postgeddyforlife, on 25 June 2013 - 06:35 AM, said:

View PostColdFireYYZ, on 24 June 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

View Postgeddyforlife, on 24 June 2013 - 07:32 AM, said:

View PostRetrospective, on 23 June 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

View PostColdFireYYZ, on 22 June 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

Amazon had On The Sunday of Life for only $9 with free shipping so I gave in and ordered it. I just finished listening to the auto-rip download and I was pretty surprised. I knew and liked Radioactive Toy, but I honestly expected the rest of it to be pretty bad. While the album was a mixed bag, there were a handful of good songs (Nine Cats, The Nostalgia Factory, and several others). I do regret waiting so long as it's really interesting to hear how much Steven Wilson's music has progressed over the last 20 years. Jupiter Island was a bit of a shock... I couldn't believe that was him singing (albeit with a ton of effects)!

It is definitely a mixed bag - I love it! You'll never get bored, that's for sure. He wrote most of it when he was really young.

.....I want you to place Felix's penis on me ................
I heard about that sample but I didn't know what song it was on. That was the one thing I was waiting for when listening to the album. :lol:

And the Swallows Dance Above the Sun

It's a cool title!

And then, boom - penis talk.

Sponsored Post

#3602 Gompers

Gompers

10,000 posts, and I got nothin'

• Members *
  • 17132 posts
  • Interests:Jaywalking. Not smoking meth. Selling my air guitars on eBay. Cooking Chinese and Italians. Giving blood so I can get drunk faster. Being a stickler for detale.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:07 AM

New Colin Edwin Website
http://colinedwin.bl...ew-website.html

#3603 Spindrift82

Spindrift82

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:Music, books, sports, internet, reading, friends, life

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:06 AM

I love the new Steven Wilson album. It's everything The Incident wasn't, although I liked TI (just liked the 3 albums before it more.)

I'm hoping they come off of hiatus, so I can see them live again. I'd love to see SW solo, but he's not coming down to Cincinnati...never has.

#3604 Retrospective

Retrospective

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • Interests:I am a dreamer and a poet. I like music also.
    Lighting and Sound Design student at Boston University.
    Married to Steven Wilson.

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:17 AM

View PostSpindrift82, on 05 July 2013 - 12:06 AM, said:

I love the new Steven Wilson album. It's everything The Incident wasn't, although I liked TI (just liked the 3 albums before it more.)

I'm hoping they come off of hiatus, so I can see them live again. I'd love to see SW solo, but he's not coming down to Cincinnati...never has.

Yeah, which is weird because I saw PT in Cinci. Maybe he'll come around for his 2nd US leg?

#3605 Mr. Not

Mr. Not

Spaceman Spiff

• Members *
  • 100502 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

Just going to put this out there... Not a fan much at all of "Mother and Child Divided", solely due to the guitar playing. Failed experiment there.

#3606 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

• Members *
  • 21183 posts
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Buffalo NY)

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

Good thing you bumped this. Alex LIfeson does a guest spot on John Wesley's next solo album (coming out next month I think). Wesley says he has a monster guitar solo on one of the songs.

#3607 sullysue

sullysue

Arriving Somewhere...

• Members *
  • 16035 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 06 February 2014 - 08:23 PM, said:

Good thing you bumped this. Alex LIfeson does a guest spot on John Wesley's next solo album (coming out next month I think). Wesley says he has a monster guitar solo on one of the songs.

No kidding? That's cool as hell.

#3608 ColdFireYYZ

ColdFireYYZ

Prog Hipster

• Members
  • 6174 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

Didn't know this! Looking forward to hearing the album.

#3609 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

Vapor Trail

• Members
  • 18458 posts
  • Interests:NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

View PostMr. IsNot, on 06 February 2014 - 07:12 PM, said:

Just going to put this out there... Not a fan much at all of "Mother and Child Divided", solely due to the guitar playing. Failed experiment there.
Which is why it didn't make it onto the Deadwing album.

#3610 Gompers

Gompers

• Members *
  • 17132 posts
  • Interests:Jaywalking. Not smoking meth. Selling my air guitars on eBay. Cooking Chinese and Italians. Giving blood so I can get drunk faster. Being a stickler for detale.

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

Yeah I saw that on Facebook, pretty cool.

#3611 Mr. Not

Mr. Not

Spaceman Spiff

• Members *
  • 100502 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:26 AM

View PostPolarizeMe, on 07 February 2014 - 07:34 PM, said:

View PostMr. IsNot, on 06 February 2014 - 07:12 PM, said:

Which is why it didn't make it onto the Deadwing album.

Makes enough sense ;)

Wake as Gun I however is an outstanding outtake... I really love those cathedral-like-effect acoustic guitar / piano duet melodies. Hypnotic and beautiful.

#3612 BowlCity

BowlCity

Cutler's Like a Knife (but it feels so right)

• Members *
  • 10396 posts
  • Interests:Video games, computer programming, guitar, Da Bears and Cubs

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:49 PM

I've just finally started getting into these guys (and Steven Wilson's other stuff). Working my way up from the beginning.

I'm not a big fan of the earlier stuff. That debut is...odd at best. Signify is the first LP of theirs that I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of from start to end.  Dark Matter is an awesome song.

Currently on Lightbulb Sun and things have definitely steadily got better since Signify.

#3613 Gompers

Gompers

• Members *
  • 17132 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:59 AM

View PostBowlCity, on 06 December 2017 - 09:49 PM, said:

I've just finally started getting into these guys (and Steven Wilson's other stuff). Working my way up from the beginning.

I'm not a big fan of the earlier stuff. That debut is...odd at best. Signify is the first LP of theirs that I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of from start to end.  Dark Matter is an awesome song.

Currently on Lightbulb Sun and things have definitely steadily got better since Signify.
I am a big fan of Lightbulb Sun, not so much Signify. The beauty of PT is how the sound changed from release to release. Although I haven't gotten into the SW solo stuff very much, their is one song called A Door Marked Summer of the expanded version of his new release To The Bone that could almost fit on Lightbulb Sun.

#3614 Jaminbenb

Jaminbenb

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2889 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:52 PM

Some of the earlier stuff was REALLY experimental, and over the top....But interesting nonetheless!!!

#3615 Gompers

Gompers

• Members *
  • 17132 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:28 PM

View PostGompers, on 07 December 2017 - 05:59 AM, said:

I am a big fan of Lightbulb Sun, not so much Signify. The beauty of PT is how the sound changed from release to release. Although I haven't gotten into the SW solo stuff very much, their is one song called A Door Marked Summer of the expanded version of his new release To The Bone that could almost fit on Lightbulb Sun.
Here it is on YouTube https://www.youtube....h?v=2IIx6g_2DsE

#3616 Oracle

Oracle

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2125 posts
  • Interests:Basically anything that can interest me.

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:06 PM

Can anyone shed some light on the samples used in Voyage 34? I've looked for years to find information on where Steven got the material, but haven't found anything.

#3617 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

Vapor Trail

• Members
  • 18458 posts
  • Interests:NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:53 AM

View PostOracle, on 11 December 2017 - 08:06 PM, said:

Can anyone shed some light on the samples used in Voyage 34? I've looked for years to find information on where Steven got the material, but haven't found anything.
Phase I and II samples a documentary LP by Capitol Records from 1966 called LSD narrated by the late Dick Clark (yes THAT Dick Clark) of all people. If you couldn't tell by his voice, it's Timothy Leary's voice heard in Phase II. This is the same source material used in "What You're Listening To" and "Not Beautiful Anymore" on Up The Downstair. Here's an extract from it.

Edited by PolarizeMe, 12 December 2017 - 02:02 AM.

#3618 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3910 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:39 PM

View PostPolarizeMe, on 12 December 2017 - 01:53 AM, said:

Phase I and II samples a documentary LP by Capitol Records from 1966 called LSD narrated by the late Dick Clark (yes THAT Dick Clark) of all people. If you couldn't tell by his voice, it's Timothy Leary's voice heard in Phase II. This is the same source material used in "What You're Listening To" and "Not Beautiful Anymore" on Up The Downstair. Here's an extract from it.

I knew it! When I first heard that narrator I thought it was Clark but was told by someone more knowledgeable (at the time) that it wasn't him. Thanks for confirming it.

#3619 Nate2112

Nate2112

The Lil' Eskimo

• Members *
  • 3059 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Worldbuilding, Mapmaking, Programming, Composing Music

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:13 PM

At around 2:30 they have a recurring sound that originated here

Edited by Nate2112, 12 December 2017 - 03:14 PM.

#3620 Nate2112

Nate2112

The Lil' Eskimo

• Members *
  • 3059 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Worldbuilding, Mapmaking, Programming, Composing Music

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:15 PM

Funny enough, everything before In Absentia is godwork. I could never really appreciate anything In Absentia onwards. I  mean, it's great stuff, but not even close to the mastery on The Sky Moves Sideways, Signify or On the Sunday of Life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users