Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

Yeah, I wouldn't know. I only know one other person who likes Porcupine Tree, so I'm just in my own little bubble. Kinda like how I was when I was in love with Caress of Steel and then learned how badly people took to it when it was originally released.

I only know like three people in real life who like PT so I'm just going by what people on the internet say about them. The Incident did, however, go over well with the audience when I saw them so I guess there are lots of other people who like it too.

Good to know I'm not alone ;)

This thread's revival is getting me back into PT after taking a break from them when The Raven was released. Just finished listening to The Incident (and I stand by my original comment about it being a great album!). I forgot how much I like Black Dahlia. Definitely one of the best from the album IMO, along with I Drive The Hearse and Time Flies. Also Kneel and Disconnect is a high point for me, despite it being so short.

Next up is Recordings.

• Like 2

I put on Octane Twisted the other day and discovered that disc 2 is missing. That now sucks. That's one of PT's best live recordings on that disc. I'm glad I ripped it in the highest quality I could onto my computer but I want my damn disc back.
  • Like 1

I put on Octane Twisted the other day and discovered that disc 2 is missing. That now sucks. That's one of PT's best live recordings on that disc. I'm glad I ripped it in the highest quality I could onto my computer but I want my damn disc back.

Agreed about disc 2. The Russia on Ice/the Pills I'm Taking medley and Arriving Somewhere But Not Here alone are worth the price of album.

• Like 1

I also gave my friend my signed Fear of a Blank Planet disc yesterday. I told her I'd get it signed for her. So that's two PT albums I'm missing now. But I know that one's going to be in good hands. I'll miss that one especially though.

This thread's revival is getting me back into PT after taking a break from them when The Raven was released. Just finished listening to The Incident (and I stand by my original comment about it being a great album!). I forgot how much I like Black Dahlia. Definitely one of the best from the album IMO, along with I Drive The Hearse and Time Flies. Also Kneel and Disconnect is a high point for me, despite it being so short.

Next up is Recordings.

Ahhhh, yes. :D Yes to all of that! Even the shorter pieces on that album (Yellow Windows on the Evening Train, Great Expectations, Kneel and Disconnect) help make the whole concept for me. Your Unpleasant Family is actually one of my favorite tracks on the album.

So is Remember Me Lover, even though that one is longer, and it made me sad that PT didn't play it when they toured the Incident.

I also absolutely LOVE the live version of Way Out of Here on the bonus tracks for the Incident. PT sounds amazing live, and Octane Twisted is a really, really good example of that too. :ebert:

• Like 1

I also gave my friend my signed Fear of a Blank Planet disc yesterday. I told her I'd get it signed for her. So that's two PT albums I'm missing now. But I know that one's going to be in good hands. I'll miss that one especially though.

That's funny - when I met SW, the only disc I had was FOABP so that's the one I got signed. :LOL:

That's funny - when I met SW, the only disc I had was FOABP so that's the one I got signed. :LOL:

Well I got Grace For Drowning & The Raven That Refused To Sing signed so I was willing to part with it.

Can anyone provide some simple guitar chords for Arriving Somewhere But Not Here?

Even the shorter pieces on that album (Yellow Windows on the Evening Train, Great Expectations, Kneel and Disconnect) help make the whole concept for me. Your Unpleasant Family is actually one of my favorite tracks on the album.

I love Great Expectations too! I've seen some criticism of the shorter pieces but I pretty much like them as they all pit in perfectly.

I do like Remember Me Lover even though the lyrics are kind of cheesy. It is fun to substitute words/phrases in the "I_______so remember me lover" lines though. :LOL:

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

Even the shorter pieces on that album (Yellow Windows on the Evening Train, Great Expectations, Kneel and Disconnect) help make the whole concept for me. Your Unpleasant Family is actually one of my favorite tracks on the album.

I love Great Expectations too! I've seen some criticism of the shorter pieces but I pretty much like them as they all pit in perfectly.

I do like Remember Me Lover even though the lyrics are kind of cheesy. It is fun to substitute words/phrases in the "I_______so remember me lover" lines though. :LOL:

Cheesy?!

Well, to each his own. :P

Can anyone provide some simple guitar chords for Arriving Somewhere But Not Here?

Which part of it? :LOL:

Oh! You know all of it? :o

Most - I was just wondering because it's a really long song. :P

I'm sure it has a Dsus2 in it somewhere. That whole album is one big D chord, with that chord being used in EVERY GODDAMN SONG

He does like D. If he transposed to C, the songs would sound too happy.

True story.

Stupid Dream listening = good life decisions.

And, no love for the Incident here?

Much love for The Incident here. Not just the first disc masterpiece, but Bonnie the Cat is one of my favorite PT songs of all time. It's almost Arriving Somewhere/Anesthetize level in my mind.

Next up is Recordings.

Its getting me back into them as well. Time to crank up some Deadwing, my favorite of all their albums. I like Incident but think it falls a bit short. Would love to see some new PT.

Everything from Stupid Dream through The Incident is brilliant. I absolutely love all of it. I saw them on The Incident Tour twice, and they were fantastic.I have honestly tried to get into his solo stuff, but it just doesn't have the same impact on me. I really hope more PT comes along in the future, but if not then so be it. They left an amazing catalogue.
  • Like 1

On the Sunday of Life has a special place with me.

I embrace all of its bizarre, psychedelic prog rock sound. Radioactive Toy is one of my all-time favorites. And Jupiter Island - it's so oddly groovy! :LOL:

Most - I was just wondering because it's a really long song. :P

The beginning mostly. There is no way I could play the lead as a basic acoustic player. I am actually a drummer who messes around on the guitar. On-line guitar tabs are tough to figure out. I would prefer chords and go from there. I do know the opening repeated riff.

I still need to get On the Sunday of Life. I've come close to buying it several times but I've always held off for whatever reason.

Jump on that! Hope you have Signify!