Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

Since there's millions upon millions of PT threads already present, I figured I'd make one more... except this one will be for ALL PT DISCUSSION. Everything about PT shall go here I declare.

So yeah, discuss everything about them here: albums, songs, lyrics, album art, members, pills, etc.

My favorite album is Deadwing.

Edited by Rush!

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 1 2008, 02:10 PM)
FOABP is my favorite. 1022.gif

I can't get into it confused13.gif

But I love Deadwing and In Absentia. weird huh?

Per suggestions from peeps on this board I bought Fear of a Blank Planet. I listened to it once and my hubby took it and I haven't seen it since biggrin.gif .

My question for those of you who have other PT material such as Deadwing, where did you get the CD?

I am unable to find anything other than FoaBP in Colorado.

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Apr 2 2008, 09:12 AM)

Per suggestions from peeps on this board I bought Fear of a Blank Planet. I listened to it once and my hubby took it and I haven't seen it since biggrin.gif .
My question for those of you who have other PT material such as Deadwing, where did you get the CD?
I am unable to find anything other than FoaBP in Colorado.

Someone burned me some, which doesn't answer the question.

Try ordering from Amazon or similar. That's where I got Geddy and Alex's solo stuff after it was out of print....(and for nothing too).

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Apr 2 2008, 06:57 AM)
QUOTE (arctangent @ Apr 2 2008, 12:32 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 2 2008, 03:16 AM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 1 2008, 04:46 PM)
But the other thread was going so well...

I'm posting in that one tongue.gif

But this one's "Official"..

says who?

Steve Wilson. laugh.gif

I wonder if the two can't be merged. Just a thought.

listening now , never heard these guys before . A little poppy for my taste - but not bad . The musicianship is good , they remind me of a opeth light . Opeth is much better though .

QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 2 2008, 03:34 PM)
I like what I have heard of Opeth. Mikael ( from Opeth ) does backup vocals on deadwing, lazarus and arriving somewhere but not here....

didn't SW do some production for Opeth too?

Yeah, he did. Two of their more melodic, less-gargling-razor-blade-vocal ones I think.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 2 2008, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (rotting @ Apr 2 2008, 07:26 PM)
listening now , never heard these guys before . A little poppy for my taste - but not bad . The musicianship is good , they remind me of a opeth light . Opeth is much better though .

Comparing Opeth to Porcupine Tree is fairly stupid.

reading their bio , they are heavily influenced by them , So i thought i would draw some comparison , seeing as the songwriting style is similar . - But whatever , Im in no mood to really respond to your insults .

Ummmm, why is that?

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 2 2008, 04:14 PM)
Ummm. Anyway, back to Porcupine Tree. eyesre4.gif

Who else has We Lost the Skyline?

i was always on the porcupine tree - ouch!

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 2 2008, 03:38 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 2 2008, 03:34 PM)
I like what I have heard of Opeth. Mikael ( from Opeth ) does backup vocals on deadwing, lazarus and arriving somewhere but not here....

didn't SW do some production for Opeth too?

Yeah, he did. Two of their more melodic, less-gargling-razor-blade-vocal ones I think.

biggrin.gif

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (rotting @ Apr 2 2008, 08:59 PM)

reading their bio , they are heavily influenced by them , So i thought i would draw some comparison , seeing as the songwriting style is similar . - But whatever , Im in no mood to really respond to your insults .

That wasn't an insult wink.gif There was nothing personal about it, so you shouldn't really feel the need to be offended by it. Was I calling you stupid? No. But whatever.

Comparing bands just because they influence each other isn't really a fair comparison. Muse are influenced by classical music but no-one in their right mind would go around comparing them to the London Philarmonic Orchestra.

Edited by Mandalorian Hunter

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 2 2008, 09:18 PM)

Ummmm, why is that?

Why? It's like comparing Rush to a band completely different like Genesis. Or like comparing the Rolling Stones to the Beatles because somethings sound the same. Or like comparing RATM to Audioslave. Or comparing the Raconteurs to The White Stripes. Or comparing Sigur Ros to Godspeed You Black Emperor because they're in the same genre. It's like comparing a second division football club to a premier league one and then deciding who's the better out of the two; 1)They'll play completely different styles of football, and 2)One is in a higher league.

One band is clearly better than the other, one band has a vocalist whereas one has a growler, and one band is a psychedelic band with a few heavy touches whereas the other is a death metal band with a few light touches.

Edited by Mandalorian Hunter