3620 replies to this topic

#21 WCFIELDS

WCFIELDS

I'd rather be in Philadelphia

• Members *
  • 8740 posts
  • Interests:Computers<br>Music<br>Work<br>

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 2 2008, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (rotting @ Apr 2 2008, 07:26 PM)
listening now , never heard these guys before . A little poppy for my taste - but not bad . The musicianship is good , they remind me of a opeth light . Opeth is much better though .

Comparing Opeth to Porcupine Tree is fairly stupid.

Ummmm, why is that?

Sponsored Post

#22 rotting

rotting

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • Interests:coffee whitener, brea cheese recipes, coconut fibre - and feet watching . competitive lawn diving and window watching are in the future works of hobbies and interests.

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 2 2008, 04:14 PM)
Ummm. Anyway, back to Porcupine Tree.  eyesre4.gif

Who else has We Lost the Skyline?

i was always on the porcupine tree - ouch!

#23 nappy2112

nappy2112

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2508 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 2 2008, 03:38 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 2 2008, 03:34 PM)
I like what I have heard of Opeth. Mikael ( from Opeth ) does backup vocals on deadwing, lazarus and arriving somewhere but not here....

didn't SW do some production for Opeth too?

Yeah, he did.  Two of their more melodic, less-gargling-razor-blade-vocal ones I think.  

biggrin.gif

z7shysterical.gif  

#24 Mandalorian Hunter

Mandalorian Hunter

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5811 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (rotting @ Apr 2 2008, 08:59 PM)
listening now , never heard these guys before . A little poppy for my taste - but not bad . The musicianship is good , they remind me of a opeth light . Opeth is much better though .

reading their bio , they are heavily influenced by them , So i thought i would draw some comparison , seeing as the songwriting style is similar . - But whatever , Im in no mood to really respond to your insults .

That wasn't an insult wink.gif There was nothing personal about it, so you shouldn't really feel the need to be offended by it. Was I calling you stupid? No. But whatever.

Comparing bands just because they influence each other isn't really a fair comparison. Muse are influenced by classical music but no-one in their right mind would go around comparing them to the London Philarmonic Orchestra.

Edited by Mandalorian Hunter, 02 April 2008 - 05:33 PM.

#25 Mandalorian Hunter

Mandalorian Hunter

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5811 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 2 2008, 09:18 PM)

Ummmm, why is that?

Why? It's like comparing Rush to a band completely different like Genesis. Or like comparing the Rolling Stones to the Beatles because somethings sound the same. Or like comparing RATM to Audioslave. Or comparing the Raconteurs to The White Stripes. Or comparing Sigur Ros to Godspeed You Black Emperor because they're in the same genre. It's like comparing a second division football club to a premier league one and then deciding who's the better out of the two; 1)They'll play completely different styles of football, and 2)One is in a higher league.

One band is clearly better than the other, one band has a vocalist whereas one has a growler, and one band is a psychedelic band with a few heavy touches whereas the other is a death metal band with a few light touches.

Edited by Mandalorian Hunter, 02 April 2008 - 05:31 PM.

#26 rotting

rotting

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • Interests:coffee whitener, brea cheese recipes, coconut fibre - and feet watching . competitive lawn diving and window watching are in the future works of hobbies and interests.

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 2 2008, 05:31 PM)
One band is clearly better than the other, one band has a vocalist whereas one has a growler, and one band is a psychedelic band with a few heavy touches whereas the other is a death metal band with a few light touches.

I would say you gave Opeth an unfair listen then , The singer does about 40 + minutes of clean vocals on ghost reveries . And your right , one band is quite better than the other - opeth , by leagues .

And if someone was getting into rush for the first time , recommending them or comparing them to old genesis would be stupid ?

come on man - your haunted .  smile.gif  

Edited by rotting, 02 April 2008 - 11:33 PM.

#27 Kudzu

Kudzu

Flying out of the shockwave

• Members *
  • 14462 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (rotting @ Apr 2 2008, 09:31 PM)

I would say you gave Opeth an unfair listen then , The singer does about 40 + minutes of clean vocals on ghost reveries . And your right , one band is quite better than the other - opeth , by leagues .

And if someone was getting into rush for the first time , recommending them or comparing them to old genesis would be stupid ?

You clearly like, what's it called? Symphonic death metal? And Opeth does that really well. Porcupine Tree dabbles, but they're more about...well...God, what kind of music does Porcupine Tree play? They're more in the tradition of Pink Floyd, Radiohead, IQ, 2112-era Rush, and Empire-era Queensr˙che. Much more melodic. I don't really anticipate an "unplugged" live EP from Opeth anytime soon.

#28 Test4VitalSigns

Test4VitalSigns

London Calling

• Members *
  • 36903 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 3 2008, 12:56 AM)
Much more melodic. I don't really anticipate an "unplugged" live EP from Opeth anytime soon.

Actually the majority of Opeth's Damnation album is accoustic and pretty melodic. It doesn't have the "cookie monster" vocals as I call it lol.

An example...My fav Opeth song Windowpane live

#29 Test4VitalSigns

Test4VitalSigns

London Calling

• Members *
  • 36903 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Apr 3 2008, 01:45 AM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 3 2008, 12:56 AM)
Much more melodic. I don't really anticipate an "unplugged" live EP from Opeth anytime soon.

Actually the majority of Opeth's Damnation album is accoustic and pretty melodic. It doesn't have the "cookie monster" vocals as I call it lol.

An example...My fav Opeth song Windowpane live

BTW Steven Wilson produced the Damnation album.   It does have a prog-rock vibe to it.

#30 WCFIELDS

WCFIELDS

I'd rather be in Philadelphia

• Members *
  • 8740 posts
  • Interests:Computers<br>Music<br>Work<br>

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:57 AM

Ummmm, why is that?

Whoa......"clearly better", that's totally your opinion. I suggest you listen to Ghost Reveries to become somewhat familiar with Opeth, as you show you clearly aren't. Opeth are much more than "death metal with a growler".......whether you like them or not is one thing, but if you are going to trash them for stupid reasons, be prepared to take some flack.......

#31 arctangent

arctangent

The Seeker

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:02 AM

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 2 2008, 09:14 PM)
Ummm. Anyway, back to Porcupine Tree.  eyesre4.gif

ah, a fantastic release. great hearing some of their songs played solo(ish)/acoustic(ish), especially drown with me!

#32 Mandalorian Hunter

Mandalorian Hunter

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5811 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE (rotting @ Apr 3 2008, 04:31 AM)

Funnily enough, I have been meaning to get into them more because I've only heard great things about them. Problem is, I've only heard stuff with 'Cookie Monster' vocals on them and I don't know if I can buy a full album because the price wouldn't justify listening to someone growl on tracks. If you can suggest an album that has minimal growling and is much less symphonic than what I've heard, I'm more than happy to listen and have my mind changed.

Ah, I never said anything about recommending. I would recommend Yes, King Crimson and Genesis to anyone who was first getting into Rush, but I wouldn't compare them because the only common thing is they've written long songs at one point in their respective careers, and that;s where the comparison ends.

#33 Mandalorian Hunter

Mandalorian Hunter

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5811 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 3 2008, 05:57 AM)

Ummmm, why is that?

Whoa......"clearly better", that's totally your opinion. I suggest you listen to Ghost Reveries to become somewhat familiar with Opeth, as you show you clearly aren't. Opeth are much more than "death metal with a growler".......whether you like them or not is one thing, but if you are going to trash them for stupid reasons, be prepared to take some flack.......

Anything anyone says on a message board is totally opinion. That goes without saying, so I shouldn't have to put 'IMO' after every sentence. I was just stating my opinon, as did rotting, and then listing differences from tracks I've heard, which is an entirely valid way of doing things.

From what I've heard, and what I've been told, Opeth are a symphonic metal/death metal band and have been for their entire career, whereas Porcupine Tree have only started incorporating metal into their songs three albums ago. The early albums have hardly any heavy sections at all, and Signify and Stupid Dream have very minimal heavy sections. Have you heard these albums?

#34 The Owl

The Owl

Gary #2

• Members *
  • 13987 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (arctangent @ Apr 3 2008, 02:02 AM)
Ummm. Anyway, back to Porcupine Tree.  eyesre4.gif

ah, a fantastic release. great hearing some of their songs played solo(ish)/acoustic(ish), especially drown with me!

Skyline is Definatly worth it!!

#35 Mandalorian Hunter

Mandalorian Hunter

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5811 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 3 2008, 02:10 PM)
QUOTE (arctangent @ Apr 3 2008, 02:02 AM)
Ummm. Anyway, back to Porcupine Tree.  eyesre4.gif

Skyline is Definatly worth it!!

And it's not too much either!

Everyone's a winner.

#36 The Owl

The Owl

Gary #2

• Members *
  • 13987 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:35 AM

Be sure to pick up the re-release of Lightbulb Sun on the 21st!!

Disc 1: Remastered Album
Disc 2 (DVDA): Whole album in 5.1 surround plus bonus DVDA material including..
Dissepear, Buying New Sould, Cure for Optimism, and the origional 2000 mix/master

Disc 3 (only available through pre-order through the PT store): Novak. amd Buying New Soul (Origional Istrumental Recording)

#37 rotting

rotting

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 2 2008, 11:56 PM)
You clearly like, what's it called? Symphonic death metal?

Not really  , Outside opeth, dream theater, I dont really like too many over-melodic key's or synth's In my music . Like lets say - children of bodom ?

I prefere my death metal straight forward - kick to the teeth punishing
like lets say -  lordgore ??

Anyways - sorry to slightly derail this thread , Porcupine tree I have never heard of until joining this rush forum , and I thank you for a new band that will definately recieve future listen's from me  smile.gif    

#38 Mandalorian Hunter

Mandalorian Hunter

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5811 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (rotting @ Apr 3 2008, 04:08 PM)

Not really  , Outside opeth, dream theater, I dont really like too many over-melodic key's or synth's In my music . Like lets say - children of bodom ?

Anyways - sorry to slightly derail this thread , Porcupine tree I have never heard of until joining this rush forum , and I thank you for a new band that will definately recieve future listen's from me  smile.gif

By the way, what albums/songs have you heard?

#39 rotting

rotting

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 3 2008, 12:19 PM)

When i hear of a band , in this bands case - three days ago , I first go to their myspace - I think they have 8 songs up or something , so I gave all of it a listen .  

#40 Mandalorian Hunter

Mandalorian Hunter

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5811 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (rotting @ Apr 3 2008, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 3 2008, 12:19 PM)

When i hear of a band , in this bands case - three days ago , I first go to their myspace - I think they have 8 songs up or something , so I gave all of it a listen .

Nice! You're going to like their latest releases then; In Absentia, Deadwing and Fear Of A Blank Planet. If you can find them, it'd be a good investment, especially Deadwing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users