Favorite LIVE Rush Album

rushfan4life

What is your favorite RUSH LIVE Album?  

599 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite RUSH LIVE Album?

• Exit Stage Left
    • Rush in Rio
    • All the Worlds a Stage
    • A Show of Hands
    • Different Stages

Oh man, this is tough. Probably ESL, it has a very special place in my heart. One of the best versions of Tom Sawyer and Freewill, and was the first version of La Villa Strangiato (I think) I heard and I liked.

But at the moment I'm absolutely in love with A Show of Hands. I'm a Power Windows/Hold Your Fire binge at the moment and I absolutely love the version of their older songs mixed with their late 80s sound. Neil's drums, Alex's guitar, but definitely Geddy's synths and especially his Wal Bass.

• Like 1

I actually love the soundtrack from grace under pressure quite a bit, though I did vote different stages bc it is quite lovely . I love that album bc of the vastness of the eras , that being said , I have a special place in my heart for grace under pressure I like that they have a bunch of stuff from signals and grace that I totally enjoy (such as the FEAR trilogy in order)my only gripe is that I wish it was longer

Question. What do you all think of Different Stages? I got Time Machine recently and it's pretty sick, but I'll agree with an above post and say Geddy's voice was not that great. So I started looking online at the live albums and saw the track list on different stages and was blown away by the song selection. So my question is, how's the album otherwise?

I HAVE to go with All the World's a Stage because it was the album that got me INTO Rush! Not long after it was released, a friend who was fortunate enough to have seen them says to me "You're a drummer, right? you HAVE to hear this!" And drops the needle on Working Man, and just let it play! (he was one of those "listen to this!" play a minute from a song, and then lift the needle and go "oh you have to hear this, too!" and do the same thing! but for once he just let it play, and I was hooked!

30 something years later, I still love this album!

• Like 1

Different Stages. It just sounds so good! The three albums beforehand sounded ok (ATWAS is the best of those three, the other two were touched up too much), and there seems to be at least one problem with every album since then (excluding the Clockwork Angels Tour).

Rush In Rio had bass out the waazoooo (but oddly enough the guitar still punches through), R30 the drums sounds like there were being played in water (had the drums sounded different then that would be my choice), Snakes and Arrows Live all i can hear is bass, and on time machine the ride and snare drum sound really funny,not to mention Geddy's voice was a bit off (however i didn't notice it until it was pointed out to me).

If i were to nit pick about Different stages it's that they didn't use a full set, like what they did with Rush In Rio, but yeah. Das my vote!

If Clockwork Angels Tour dident have such bad sound quality, that would have been my favorite, because the setlist is awesome, and the show is really great, Geddy seems to be in a good mood as well.

But now its in such bad sound quality, and that destroys everything, besides I can not even vote for it.

So my vote goes for All The World's A Stage, because its a early live sound, and the quality is awesome, and I love Geddys voice on it!

• Like 2

If Clockwork Angels Tour dident have such bad sound quality, that would have been my favorite, because the setlist is awesome, and the show is really great, Geddy seems to be in a good mood as well.

But now its in such bad sound quality, and that destroys everything, besides I can not even vote for it.

So my vote goes for All The World's A Stage, because its a early live sound, and the quality is awesome, and I love Geddys voice on it!

Excellent choice........

If I am able to choose a bootleg, then my choice is a soundboard bootleg called Nuts And Bolts. Its from Counterparts Tour 1994.

Its a awesome bootleg! Great sound quality, almost as a official! Nice setlist! And Rush seems to be in a good mood, Geddy seems to be really happy!

Edited by Zumbi

Exit...Stage Left must be Rush worst live album, I dont understand how so many can vote for it! I mean, its good songs and they play them great, but they have made the album as a studio album, kinda destroys the feeling that a live album should give.

I have only listen on it a few times,

Rush In Rio got same mistakes as Clockwork Angels Tour, its a great show, its cool with the audience, but the mixing is to bad Im afraid!

Maybe its because I have bought it on iTunes, but dont think so, I will buy it soon on CD, then we see!

Different Stages is a awesome live album! Great sound quality, awesome songs! And they have been taking all the best songs for sure! My only complaint is that the audience is to high sounded, you hear them alot during the songs.

You must have the Japanese version so you get the song Force Ten!

A Show Of Hands, I havent listen on this so much, kinda new for me, just got it, but the times I have heard it, it sounds like a awesome 80,s show! And a nice setlist!

Question. What do you all think of Different Stages? I got Time Machine recently and it's pretty sick, but I'll agree with an above post and say Geddy's voice was not that great. So I started looking online at the live albums and saw the track list on different stages and was blown away by the song selection. So my question is, how's the album otherwise?

I think it's great, but I'm a self-professed non-audiophile-I-don't-know-what-all-the-fuss-is-about type dude. The only thing that kills it slightly is Roll the Bones, which no one will ever convince me to like.

Out of those, Rio. R30 and the CA DVD run it close.

And personally, I don't mind the sound quality on Rio and on the CA DVD. In fact, I like the sound of them. I know technically the sound quality on them both is poor but, to me, it sounds like actually being at the concert in a way, which is how it should be, not perfectly mixed like a studio album.

I am in the minority here and I realize it is part of the synth era, but I have always loved "A Show of Hands". It was a little over polished by the engineers, I know... but I just love it. Part of it is also the fact that it came out during my senior year in high school and I worked a lot of overnight shifts that first summer between high school and college. When I would get home, everyone else in the house was up and getting ready to leave... and making noise. So, to relax and nod off to sleep, I would drop the ASOH CD in the tray, put on the headphones, and give it a listen. I guess, then, I always associate that live album as soothing and relaxing... thus my favorite.
  • Like 1

When was this thread posted ?? 2005 ?

Ancient history

Did they have bootlegs back then ?

CDs ??

Whatever the case, my favorite live Rush is Universe Divided .... If that doesn't count, then Disc #3 of Different Stages