Favorite LIVE Rush Album

256 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your favorite RUSH LIVE Album? (593 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favorite RUSH LIVE Album?

1. Exit Stage Left (140 votes [23.57%])

Percentage of vote: 23.57%

2. Rush in Rio (127 votes [21.38%])

Percentage of vote: 21.38%

3. All the Worlds a Stage (100 votes [16.84%])

Percentage of vote: 16.84%

4. A Show of Hands (66 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

5. Different Stages (161 votes [27.10%])

Percentage of vote: 27.10%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#221 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27720 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

ATWAS for sure. I think its the best representation of the band. Also was the first album i ever purchased way back when. Put me on a desert Island with only one piece of music and that would be the one i would choose. I've heard it a million times and could hear it a million more. I never get tired of it.

Sponsored Post

#222 puffyshirt

puffyshirt

The Seeker

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

R30 is by far my favorite. Incredible mixing, great setlist, and they are on fire in that show.

Different Stages would be second. Great tracklist, and love that third disc, but I'm not as fond of how their instruments sound on that one. The drums especially, sound oddly muted, almost like they are covered in a wet cloth or something.

Time machine would be third. It's incredible, and a great set list, but Geddy had a cold during that show and his voice is just brutal. Songs like Presto and Time Stand Still are hard to listen to. And that version of Red Barchetta is pretty sloppy, which is a shame as it's one of my faves.

Snakes is good, but this was the first one where they were noticeably playing some songs at a slower speed. Songs like Limelight, Natural Science, and Digital Man lost a bit of their oomph. It's almost like they were off that night, because even the Time Machine tour seemed to speed things up a bit. I also don't like the drum sound on the Snakes album, they lack a bit of punch.

Rush In Rio is a killer set, but listening to the album is just a pain in the ass. I only listen to that one if I want the live energy.

ATWAS is amazing, they are playing great. Mixing is a bit soft, but that's more a sign of the times.

Grace Under Pressure tour is awesome. Get a few songs you wouldn't normally hear live, and they play a few of them (including s YYZ/Temples/Tom Saywer medley) at a faster speed, which is just insane to hear.

A Show of Hands is good because it includes some more songs you don't normally hear. It's pretty sterile as a live album though, they polished it up too much.

Exit Stage Left is good, but my least favorite. They polished this up to the point where it should technically be considered a studio album more than a live one. It's great content, but I might as well just be listening to the album versions of these songs.

#223 Shemp

Shemp

The Seeker

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:guitar & music, women

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:42 PM

Rush in Rio is my favourite; great set list and execution including one of Alex's few rants. The audience reaction helps to push that concert above the others. G/P and ATWAS are my  second and third choices although I like them all.

Edited by Shemp, 26 September 2013 - 06:44 PM.

#224 FountainOfSyrinx

FountainOfSyrinx

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2152 posts
  • Interests:Univ. of Nebraska, Rush, the Dave Matthews Band, the Seattle Mariners, the Dallas Mavericks, and baseball in general.

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

SnA Live for sure. But I enjoy 'em all.

#225 Ventris

Ventris

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1836 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

My favorite is Exit...Stage Left, it was also the first Rush album I had ever listened to.

#226 AnalogSubdivisions

AnalogSubdivisions

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:RUSH, music, guitars and keyboards, heavy equipment, cars, trucks, bicycling, firearms.

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:57 AM

Oh man, this is tough. Probably ESL, it has a very special place in my heart. One of the best versions of Tom Sawyer and Freewill, and was the first version of La Villa Strangiato (I think) I heard and I liked.

But at the moment I'm absolutely in love with A Show of Hands. I'm a Power Windows/Hold Your Fire binge at the moment and I absolutely love the version of their older songs mixed with their late 80s sound. Neil's drums, Alex's guitar, but definitely Geddy's synths and especially his Wal Bass.

#227 Body Electric

Body Electric

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:finding rare out of print stuff, and converting to mp3 if necessary, also good 5.1 mixes of rush catalog i have the sectors 2112 and moving picture

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:23 AM

I actually love the soundtrack from grace under pressure quite a bit, though I did vote different stages bc it is quite lovely . I love that album bc of the vastness of the eras , that being said , I have a special place in my heart for grace under pressure I like that they have a bunch of stuff from signals and grace that I totally enjoy (such as the FEAR trilogy in order)my only gripe is that I wish it was longer

#228 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 3540 posts
  • Interests:QueenRushMuseYeah! Oh and MtG.

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:50 PM

Question. What do you all think of Different Stages? I got Time Machine recently and it's pretty sick, but I'll agree with an above post and say Geddy's voice was not that great. So I started looking online at the live albums and saw the track list on different stages and was blown away by the song selection. So my question is, how's the album otherwise?

#229 Jaminbenb

Jaminbenb

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2874 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:08 AM

I HAVE to go with All the World's a Stage because it was the album that got me INTO Rush!    Not long after it was released, a friend who was fortunate enough to have seen them says to me "You're a drummer, right?  you HAVE to hear this!"  And drops the needle on Working Man, and just let it play! (he was one of those "listen to this!"  play a minute from a song, and then lift the needle and go "oh you have to hear this, too!" and do the same thing!  but for once he just let it play, and I was hooked!

30 something years later, I still love this album!

#230 BanksPDaniels

BanksPDaniels

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

Voted Different Stages, but ATWAS is a close second, but DS gets a a higher rank for me because it has a little something from my favorite albums up to that point (plus the full 2112 is nice, and disc 3 has some really nice old school performances)

#231 Rushfanman

Rushfanman

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

Different Stages. It just sounds so good! The three albums beforehand sounded ok (ATWAS is the best of those three, the other two were touched up too much), and there seems to be at least one problem with every album since then (excluding the Clockwork Angels Tour).

Rush In Rio had bass out the waazoooo (but oddly enough the guitar still punches through), R30 the drums sounds like there were being played in water (had the drums sounded different then that would be my choice), Snakes and Arrows Live all i can hear is bass, and on time machine the ride and snare drum sound really funny,not to mention Geddy's voice was a bit off (however i didn't notice it until it was pointed out to me).

If i were to nit pick about Different stages it's that they didn't use a full set, like what they did with Rush In Rio, but yeah. Das my vote!

#232 YYZumbi

YYZumbi

Vapor Trail

• Members *
  • 18664 posts
  • Interests:Vinyl records and music in general.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:31 AM

If Clockwork Angels Tour dident have such bad sound quality, that would have been my favorite, because the setlist is awesome, and the show is really great, Geddy seems to be in a good mood as well.

But now its in such bad sound quality, and that destroys everything, besides I can not even vote for it.

So my vote goes for All The World's A Stage, because its a early live sound, and the quality is awesome, and I love Geddys voice on it!

#233 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27720 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

View PostZumbi, on 05 February 2014 - 05:31 AM, said:

If Clockwork Angels Tour dident have such bad sound quality, that would have been my favorite, because the setlist is awesome, and the show is really great, Geddy seems to be in a good mood as well.

But now its in such bad sound quality, and that destroys everything, besides I can not even vote for it.

So my vote goes for All The World's A Stage, because its a early live sound, and the quality is awesome, and I love Geddys voice on it!
Excellent choice........

#234 YYZumbi

YYZumbi

Vapor Trail

• Members *
  • 18664 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:33 AM

If I am able to choose a bootleg, then my choice is a soundboard bootleg called Nuts And Bolts. Its from Counterparts Tour 1994.

Its a awesome bootleg! Great sound quality, almost as a official! Nice setlist! And Rush seems to be in a good mood, Geddy seems to be really happy!

Edited by Zumbi, 06 February 2014 - 07:34 AM.

#235 YYZumbi

YYZumbi

Vapor Trail

• Members *
  • 18664 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:45 AM

Exit...Stage Left must be Rush worst live album, I dont understand how so many can vote for it! I mean, its good songs and they play them great, but they have made the album as a studio album, kinda destroys the feeling that a live album should give.

I have only listen on it a few times,

Rush In Rio got same mistakes as Clockwork Angels Tour, its a great show, its cool with the audience, but the mixing is to bad Im afraid!

Maybe its because I have bought it on iTunes, but dont think so, I will buy it soon on CD, then we see!

Different Stages is a awesome live album! Great sound quality, awesome songs! And they have been taking all the best songs for sure! My only complaint is that the audience is to high sounded, you hear them alot during the songs.

You must have the Japanese version so you get the song Force Ten!

A Show Of Hands, I havent listen on this so much, kinda new for me, just got it, but the times I have heard it, it sounds like a awesome 80,s show! And a nice setlist!

#236 GUPower Windows

GUPower Windows

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Rush, duh.

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:09 AM

Holy moses ASOH is LAST?!?!?! Are you guys for cereal? We can no longer be friends TRF.

#237 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5896 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 19 November 2013 - 07:50 PM, said:

Question. What do you all think of Different Stages? I got Time Machine recently and it's pretty sick, but I'll agree with an above post and say Geddy's voice was not that great. So I started looking online at the live albums and saw the track list on different stages and was blown away by the song selection. So my question is, how's the album otherwise?
I think it's great, but I'm a self-professed non-audiophile-I-don't-know-what-all-the-fuss-is-about type dude.  The only thing that kills it slightly is Roll the Bones, which no one will ever convince me to like.

#238 len(songs)

len(songs)

The Archivist

• Members
  • 14676 posts
  • Interests:Not being Not

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

ATWAS by far.

#239 Brucey

Brucey

Babycat's Nemesis

• Members *
  • 8890 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

Out of those, Rio. R30 and the CA DVD run it close.

And personally, I don't mind the sound quality on Rio and on the CA DVD. In fact, I like the sound of them. I know technically the sound quality on them both is poor but, to me, it sounds like actually being at the concert in a way, which is how it should be, not perfectly mixed like a studio album.

#240 g under p

g under p

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4842 posts
  • Interests:Music and Politics....painting, fishing and road cycling.

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

Exit Stage Left

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users