Any other U2 Fans?

GhostGirl

From U2world.com, U2's newest single entitled "Vertigo" is to be released to radio on Sept. 24, with the album (also said to be called "Vertigo") to be released Nov. 22.

Full article here: U2 World Article

I'm a BIG fan of U2...have been since the early days. I'm anxiously awaiting this new album; I was pretty fond of their latest ("All That You Can't Leave Behind") but it wasn't truly the U2 I know and love. This new album, produced by the awesome Steve Lillywhite, (who mixed the groundbreaking "The Joshua Tree") has a lot of potential...I hope it comes through!

Just FYI... smile.gif

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I blasted some U2 in the car the other day with someone who I think only listens to HIP-HOP. you should have seen the look on her face while trying to figure out what she was hearing. total processing like "wtf is this?"

i love the second half of ZOOROPA!

1022.gif

QUOTE (daveyt @ Sep 3 2004, 02:06 PM)
I blasted some U2 in the car the other day with someone who I think only listens to HIP-HOP. you should have seen the look on her face while trying to figure out what she was hearing. total processing like "wtf is this?"

1022.gif

cat.gif

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Sep 3 2004, 04:08 PM)

1022.gif

cat.gif

HEY!!! Not just because he likes U2?

Awwww....come on, Riv! tongue.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 3 2004, 02:11 PM)
QUOTE (Rivendell @ Sep 3 2004, 04:08 PM)

1022.gif

cat.gif

HEY!!! Not just because he likes U2?

Awwww....come on, Riv! tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

Ah, my fellow countrymen.

U2 is the one band I can almost guarantee to tell the best live gig stories about, relate unique personal encounters (well, one), and play the "I saw them before anyone else" card.

First gig was 1980.

Roll on Vertigo (Although the big rumour here for a while was that it was to have been called "How To Construct a Nuclear Bomb".

Perhaps not the subtlest of titles in today's global climate!. ph34r.gif

GG,

I am A HUGE U2 fan.......from the beginning.

One of the best shows of my life was U2 in buffalo 1987.

I have been to at least 100 concerts "probably more" and that was the highest energy and greatest atmosphere i have ever seen any band ever create.

I could write for hours about my personal U2 experiences.........dont worry i wont.

BUT i will say that i have seen them every time they have been in my vicinity!

My first show was in a bar back in 1980...

i will never forget it because it was the night we lost John Lennon. There were about 30 people in attendance and we had never even heard of them. I just happened to be at the bar that night. I think What really caught my attention was how upset everybody was that night and especially U2.

anyway......7 years later they were the hottest ticket in the world and i was so happy to be there. Back then i was only into RUSH and the many metal bands that were around.

That night made them one of my all time favorite bands.

I never heard a crowd sing every song!!!!

I have never heard it since either.

I am looking forward to the new release and tour!!!!!!!!!

I will be there.

TP

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 3 2004, 06:33 PM)

U2 is the one band I can almost guarantee to tell the best live gig stories about, relate unique personal encounters (well, one), and play the "I saw them before anyone else" card.

First gig was 1980.

Roll on Vertigo (Although the big rumour here for a while was that it was to have been called "How To Construct a Nuclear Bomb".

Tell me everything, madra....PM if you want. I LOVE U2, and would really like to hear your stories.

smile.gif

QUOTE (Tide Pools @ Sep 3 2004, 09:21 PM)
GG,

I am A HUGE U2 fan.......from the beginning.
One of the best shows of my life was U2 in buffalo 1987.
I have been to at least 100 concerts "probably more" and that was the highest energy and greatest atmosphere i have ever seen any band ever create.

I could write for hours about my personal U2 experiences.........dont worry i wont.

BUT i will say that i have seen them every time they have been in my vicinity!
My first show was in a bar back in 1980...
i will never forget it because it was the night we lost John Lennon. There were about 30 people in attendance and we had never even heard of them. I just happened to be at the bar that night. I think What really caught my attention was how upset everybody was that night and especially U2.

anyway......7 years later they were the hottest ticket in the world and i was so happy to be there. Back then i was only into RUSH and the many metal bands that were around.
That night made them one of my all time favorite bands.
I never heard a crowd sing every song!!!!
I have never heard it since either.
I am looking forward to the new release and tour!!!!!!!!!
I will be there.

TP

OOOH! Cool, TP. PM me if you want and tell me about the shows you've seen. I've only seen them ONCE in Oct. 1992....ZooTV Tour, but it was amazing! I've just about worn out all the U2 dvds I have...can't wait to see them on their new tour. I'll be taking my 6 year old son...he loves them, too!

QUOTE (syrinxkat @ Sep 3 2004, 11:01 PM)
Another big U2 fan here smile.gif They were my world in high school. Didn't get into Rush until much later.

Really looking forward to NEW U2!!! Especially if it's got the same passion and inspiration as Joshua Tree.

YES!!! Let's keep our fingers crossed, syrinx....

wub.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 4 2004, 04:18 AM)
QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 3 2004, 06:33 PM)

First gig was 1980.

Tell me everything, madra....PM if you want. I LOVE U2, and would really like to hear your stories.

smile.gif

Long Post Alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK - Here we go....

U2 started getting some airplay on Irish radio around '79 with the U23 ep (Out of Control / Stories for Boys / Boy-Girl), and followed that up with "Another Day". They did a nationwide tour in early February 1980, leading up to a big in Dublin and the launch of Boy.

I saw them in the local college in Waterford where I grew up. I was 15, and had won the tickets on a national radio station. The gig was great, and afterwards, I gave them a hand to carry in some equipment and chatted with Bono, Edge and Adam. Larry wasn't there because according to Bono, he was too shy!!.

I was in a Catholic secondary school at the time, and had been on a school retreat that day, so the only piece of paper I had was a Gideon bible, which I handed to Bono and uttered the immortal words "Here, sign this in case you become famous". I was only vaguely aware that they were all committed christians (apart from Adam), and to my surprise, Bono and Edge each signed their favoutrite passages. Bono's was Corinthians 13 and Edge's was Romans 8. I still have it, and must get around to scanning the pages some time.

The next time I saw them was a year later in Slane Castle just before October came out. They were supporting Thin Lizzy in the first ever gig at Slane, which has gone on to become Ireland's premier (only!!) outdoor amphitheatre. That's where they returned during the Elevation tour and played the day after Bono's father's funeral. That gig's been released on DVD here, I presume it's available over there as well. The castle itself is where they recorded "The Unforgettable Fire", and a fewe years ago, it was gutted in a fire (cue Twilight Zone intro).

I missed the ZooTV tour but caught Popmart in Dublin. Tickets for the Elevation tour gig in Slane were the fastest selling ever in this country. I went to the local Ticketmaster outlet on the morning they went on sale, and realised immediately I wouldn't get any when I saw the crowd on the street. I met a few teenagers I knew through my involvement in local musical societies in the queue, and realised I had seen U2 twice before any of them were born. ohmy.gif

The following week, I managed to score two tickets through a work contact. However, I knew that the girl who babysat my kids really wanted to go, and the gig was on her 18th birthday, so after much mental anguish, I gave the tickets to her. Hell, I'd seen 'em in Slane already.

Madra...I am blown away by your story. Getting to see U2 in their early days had to have been amazing...especially realizing the fame they've attained now. Getting to meet them, and get their autographs to boot...WOW!

Thank you SO much for sharing. I'm thrilled to know that I'll be taking my son to see them on their new tour.

smile.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 4 2004, 12:33 AM)

Construct, dismantle what's the difference?.

laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 14 2004, 09:28 AM)
QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 4 2004, 12:33 AM)

Construct, dismantle what's the difference?.

laugh.gif laugh.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

I've heard the new single and I love it...."Vertigo" hit stations today.

If this is indicative of the new album, I'm totally psyched....maybe some of us can meet up at U2 shows while Rush isn't touring! biggrin.gif

If you'd like to hear it, here's a link to download a "promo." (wink, wink)

"Promo" of Vertigo by U2

Archived