Geddy Lee's custom doubleneck Rickenbacker.

Grand Designs

On the unofficial Exit....Stage Left video, I noticed Geddy playing a bass/guitar combo Rickenbacker doubleneck on Xanadu. That is the baddest, most genious instrument I've ever saw in my life and it just looked really cool strapped on Geddy! I figure he had to play it on Passage To Bangkok as well during Alex's solo break. What I was wondering is does anybody have photos to post of Geddy playing that, what other songs did he use that on, and the reason that Geddy doesn't bother to play it live anymore. I feel that it just to sweet of an instrument to not show off live.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason they don't use the doublenecks any more is mentioned in the book "Contents Under Pressure" - Geddy says they were so heavy and awkward to play.

I agree with your view that this great song is impressive to watch on ESL.

QUOTE (Margana @ Jan 21 2005, 02:33 PM)
The reason they don't use the doublenecks any more is mentioned in the book "Contents Under Pressure" - Geddy says they were so heavy and awkward to play.
I agree with your view that this great song is impressive to watch on ESL.

yea I couldn't imagine how heavy that would be... wacko.gif

Can't seem to find the one out of the Moving Pictures tourbook I'm looking for, so here's BSG's posting of the tourbook pictures (it's grouped within the 5th set of photos)...

(1981) The Rush Tourbooks - Moving Pictures (from TRF)

Aw heck, here's the pic too.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/bsg2112/Rush/movpicmontage03.jpg

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 21 2005, 03:32 PM)
If I remember right, I think that Ged's was one of, if not the, first double necks that Rickenbacker made.

Wow, thats pretty interesting to hear, considering Rickenbacker had been around for so long and I dont think he first started using one until they played A Passage To Bangkok, around the Hemispheres tour.

You guys rock! Some really great photos you all posted! If I were rich, I'd own one of those. I figure something like that would run at least $7,000. I had the same theory on why Geddy and Alex probably quit using doublenecks. I guarentee that Geddy's Rickenbacker ways a ton. That was a rather elaborate sight to see both Geddy and Alex useing doublenecks at the same time. If it were me though, the bulk of that instrument would be putting up with, just to go out there and show it off and rip out some killer riffs, such as Xanadu. That doubleneck is a prime representation of Rush's musical ingeinouity. Who the hell else would have possibly thought of building a doubleneck like that other than Geddy himself.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 21 2005, 06:32 PM)
If I remember right, I think that Ged's was one of, if not the, first double necks that Rickenbacker made.

I think you're right Madra. I remember reading that somewhere. And that Geddy doesn't even have it any more! He gave it to a friend who has it now.

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Jan 22 2005, 02:22 PM)
Me too Snow!  I was really hoping Geddy would play his with Alex during R30! sad.gif  I just love the look of a Rick, double neck or just the 4001, the best looking bass guitar ever built, IMO. 653.gif

So true. I also miss the days when Neil was completely surrounded by all of his percussion instrutments towering over him. That was sooooooooo cool when I was 15 biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 21 2005, 04:32 PM)

cool! never knew that! applaudit.gif

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Jan 22 2005, 01:03 AM)

I think you're right Madra. I remember reading that somewhere. And that Geddy doesn't even have it any more! He gave it to a friend who has it now.

Just out of curiosity, why do you always get me and madra mixed up?

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 22 2005, 03:23 PM)

laugh.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Jan 22 2005, 02:22 PM)
Me too Snow! I was really hoping Geddy would play his with Alex during R30! sad.gif I just love the look of a Rick, double neck or just the 4001, the best looking bass guitar ever built, IMO. 653.gif

I agree with you completely! Geddy needs to ditch that Fender that he's been playing all of these years. I'm not too fond of the sound of it. It would be great of he went back to Rickenbacker. I think that the old-school spirit of Rush would be brought back to life with something as simple as that.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 22 2005, 06:23 PM)

doh.gif

Would "because I'm aparently an idiot" due as an answer??!! confused13.gif

I actually have no idea! unsure.gif Didn't even realize it! laugh.gif You said always... how long have I been doing that Slain? I'm so sorry! I can't even figure out HOW I could have done that! sad.gif I promise you, I'll pay more attention.

Archived