Rush Confessions: Songs I once hated but now love

Schro

I got started on Rush with MP, Exit, and Signals. My next step in the journey was 2112. I anxiously popped it in and..

I absolutely hated it!

Couldn't stand Geddy's screeching. I distinctly remember telling myself I don't care how good some of there present stuff is, I would never listen to this album for the rest of my life (I was 15).

So I got into other Rush stuff, and it sat there. But I could only play through my other Rush tapes so many million times before I wanted something more. So I played it again, if only to prove to myself how much I hated it again.

Obviously, at a certain point, something clicked. Because now I screech along with it and can't wait them to play it live when I'm at a show.

What happened? I don't know. I guess I finally got used to Geddy singing in that register and saw that the music and the message behind it were quite good. But it took awhile. Maybe a couple years, for me.

So what songs did you once hate that now you love? Here's my list:

Before the Love: What is that screeching?

After the Love: God, I love that screeching!

Gestation Period: About 2 years.

Hold Your Fire

Before the Love: This entire album was a huuuuge disappointment for me. Where is Alex? Did he leave the band? Is it legal to call a concert live when you can't even see the lead singer behind his Berlin Wall of keyboards?

After the Love: I still miss Alex, but the writing and composition are top notch. The words finally spoke to me. Have actually left it in my car cd-changer over a month and not thought about it.

Gestation Period: About 6 years.

Hemispheres

Before the Love: Is this the same band that wrote Moving Pictures? Does anyone know someone who can perform an exorcism on my tape player?

After the Love: What a great epic song! Love the story, love the music.

Gestation Period: About 8 years.

Mystic Rhythms

Before the Love: Loved Power Windows except for this song. It was so anti-Rush to me. How could they do this to us?

After the Love: Many, many years later I came back to it and discovered, "hey, this a'int too bad!!" (duh) Great lyrics, great atmosphere.

Gestation Period: About 10 years.

WOW! ohmy.gif

I'm happy to hear they finally grew on you.

I've loved them from day one and still do. I can't imagine disliking anything they have done or will ever do.

cocktail.gifcocktail.gifcocktail.gif

QUOTE (Schro @ Jan 21 2005, 03:12 PM)
I got started on Rush with MP, Exit, and Signals. My next step in the journey was 2112. I anxiously popped it in and..

I absolutely hated it!

Couldn't stand Geddy's screeching. I distinctly remember telling myself I don't care how good some of there present stuff is, I would never listen to this album for the rest of my life (I was 15).

So I got into other Rush stuff, and it sat there. But I could only play through my other Rush tapes so many million times before I wanted something more. So I played it again, if only to prove to myself how much I hated it again.

Obviously, at a certain point, something clicked. Because now I screech along with it and can't wait them to play it live when I'm at a show.

What happened? I don't know. I guess I finally got used to Geddy singing in that register and saw that the music and the message behind it were quite good. But it took awhile. Maybe a couple years, for me.

So what songs did you once hate that now you love? Here's my list:

Before the Love: What is that screeching?
After the Love: God, I love that screeching!

Gestation Period: About 2 years.

Hold Your Fire
Before the Love: This entire album was a huuuuge disappointment for me. Where is Alex? Did he leave the band? Is it legal to call a concert live when you can't even see the lead singer behind his Berlin Wall of keyboards?
After the Love: I still miss Alex, but the writing and composition are top notch. The words finally spoke to me. Have actually left it in my car cd-changer over a month and not thought about it.

Gestation Period: About 6 years.

Hemispheres

Before the Love: Is this the same band that wrote Moving Pictures? Does anyone know someone who can perform an exorcism on my tape player?
After the Love: What a great epic song! Love the story, love the music.

Gestation Period: About 8 years.

Mystic Rhythms
Before the Love: Loved Power Windows except for this song. It was so anti-Rush to me. How could they do this to us?
After the Love: Many, many years later I came back to it and discovered, "hey, this a'int too bad!!" (duh) Great lyrics, great atmosphere.

Gestation Period: About 10 years.

I don't understand your 'Hold Your Fire' summary, as you refer to a live album wacko.gif

Some of mine were the opposite, but I can't really say I ever hated any album totally....Presto is my biggest disappointment, and still is. As for Hemispheres/Moving Pictures, I thought the same as you did, but about Moving Pictures instead, for when they brought this out I thought "Is this the same band that wrote Hemispheres". I was always into Epic songs and the 'Epics' on it were not really what I expected at the time....they had turned too complex for me, and not heavy enough - I was weened on FTK, Hemispheres, Fly By Night and 2112! Now Moving Pic's is an all-time classic album for me. There is an air of maturity in it that was lacking in previous albums. I think this marked their 'coming of age'.

I would only say that perhaps 'Counterparts' fitted your description best, as when I bought it, I listened to it once, then didn't listen to it for best part of 10 years! Mistake! (gestation period 10 years) laugh.gif

To rickyrob:

I don't understand your 'Hold Your Fire' summary, as you refer to a live album

I wasn't alluding to a live album so much as how Hold Your Fire represented the height of the "keyboard heavy" era for Rush and I was among the fans who "missed" Alex, so to speak, as the guitar was buried in the sound on many of the songs.

I also missed Geddy in a sense because it just seemed like during this era he was buried behind more and more keyboards on stage when I longed for him to be more front and center dancing around with Alex like the days of yore. And I'm a keyboard player!

Hope that clears things up a bit!

Schro

When I first heard "Vital signs" and "New World Man" I was like..........What the hell is this? .................After listening to them a few times they both ended up being in my top 20 rush songs. Vital signs is probably in my top 10. I can't stop singing it for hours after I hear it, almost every time.

I'm not saying I like/love every Rush song (because I don't), but here's the list of songs that never really clicked to me...

Rivendell

Madrigal

Tears

Kid Gloves

Most of HYF

Most of T4E

Ceiling Unlimited

Roll The Bones

Heresy

hmmm I don't think I have any to tell you the truth...maybe second nature...I didn't really have any that I hated and then liked...if the song was different I listened to it the second and third time and I liked it. trink36.gif

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jan 21 2005, 02:34 PM)
I'm not saying I like/love every Rush song (because I don't), but here's the list of songs that never really clicked to me...

Rivendell
Madrigal
Tears

These are some of the songs that took awhile for me to like. I still don't like Rivendell but Tears and Madrigal have grown on me. I didn't like the Camera Eye when i first heard it. 4 years later i popped it in and loved it. Another song that i flat out dont like is Cold Fire. The music is ok. i like the riff at the beginning. but the lyrics IMO are really corny. It doesnt sound like something Neil would write.

I used to be one of those who didn't like Rivendell. I thought it was just an awkward tune initially; could've been Geddy's whispering voice. But now, I relish that slide guitar or whatever that is in the song - very "rural" sounding.

It may be something to do with age. I know when I was younger there were a great many bands that I couldnt stomach for one reason or another. I never really gave much music a chance, sometimes all it would take is for a person I wasnt terribly fond of to like the band and it would turn me off to it. The more that time goes on, the more accepting I have found myself becoming, and in turn I am rediscovering a lot of bands that friends of mine use to, or that I remember not wanting to pay attention to all over again.

As for Rivendell, I still cant stomach that one. Tears got to me rather quickly (the strings at the end did it for me) and Madrigal wasnt initial but came around. I also remember not liking most of the VT material the first week I bought it, but at the same time I felt drawn to listen to it more and more. Ceiling Unlimited for example wasnt one of my favorites at all, but once I saw it live, it put a whole new perspective of the song in me, I love it now.

For me it was Stick It Out. I had to listen to the whole album a few times before it grew on me, but at first, the the odd melody threw me off and I didn't care for it. I can remember exactly what isle of what parking lot of what store in what city I was in when I first heard that song... That's how bad it was for me, at first! laugh.gif

I remember taking quite a bit of time to warm up to Stick It Out and Nobody's Hero as well. They grew on me as well though, once again live versions helped. Listening to Different Strings made me see it better. Rush certainly has a way of making material really come alive when they play it live.

COS took a while for me to warm up to, but I really like it now. HYF, well, I can tolerate it thanks to Mission, Turn The Page and Ged's great bass playing at many points but after a "gestation" period of 18 years, it still hasn't grown on me. As for specific songs, Lock and Key is one I simply cannot listen to.

Well, hate is probably too strong a word but there have been a handful of songs that at first didn't have much of an impact on me/ I even disliked to an extent, but later (and in my case, it took about a week or two after having gotten the album -active listening pays off! biggrin.gif ) they opened up for me in a different light. Tracks like Force Ten, New World Man, Territories, Show Don't Tell, War Paint and especially The Camera Eye had to grow on me before I was able to embrace them. I now love 'em all.

Limelight, now that is a strange one... I disliked it for a long time, the chorus in particular (and I still cringe to Geddy's vocal deliver on "for those, who wish to seeeeeeem" and "those, who wish to beeeeee") Ah, I remember my anticipation they day I bought MP, expecting to be blown away by this song in particular, but alas, it didn't happen, and I suppose I have never quite understood what all the fuzz is about in regards to this song. Little by little, though, I was able to listen to it with more and more enjoyement, but with LL it took me literally months to get there. I still don't exactly love it, though I like it okay -I love to air-drum to it! laugh.gif

The songs that I truly couldn't stand from the very start, I still don't like and I doubt I ever will. Freeze, two thirds of RTB, The Stars Look Down, Grand Designs...just not my cup of tea, I'm afraid!

There are more than enough Rush songs for me to love though so not too bothered about that. smile.gif

Camera Eye

The Weapon

Virtuality

I just could not get into these songs when I first heard them and now I love them.

One song I know I will never, ever like is Half the World. I think this song is embarrassing.

When I first got Vapor Trails (Less then a week after it was released into stores biggrin.gif), I put it in the stereo CD player IMMEDIATELY.

I listened to it for a while...

I loved the fact that the album starts off with impossible drumming, showing that Peart hasn't lost it an ounce.

Then the melodies came in...

And... my thoughts about it weren't so great biggrin.gif

Despite the disliking, I kept listening to it... I hated every song until...

Vapor trail! I fell in love with the song withing the first couple of riffs. Then that song was over and on came Secret touch and Earthshine... I had feelings of amazement.

I finished the album with a smile after "Out of the Cradle." My mind had resolved to hating the first half and loving the second half.

But the next time I put in the album... I found that I loved the first half just as much as the second half! Just listening to "Vapor Trail" fully redeemed the rest of the album. I listen to the Vapor Trails album regularly.

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Jan 22 2005, 05:06 PM)
When I first got Vapor Trails (Less then a week after it was released into stores biggrin.gif), I put it in the stereo CD player IMMEDIATELY.

I listened to it for a while...

I loved the fact that the album starts off with impossible drumming, showing that Peart hasn't lost it an ounce.

Then the melodies came in...

And... my thoughts about it weren't so great biggrin.gif

Despite the disliking, I kept listening to it... I hated every song until...

Vapor trail! I fell in love with the song withing the first couple of riffs. Then that song was over and on came Secret touch and Earthshine... I had feelings of amazement.

I finished the album with a smile after "Out of the Cradle." My mind had resolved to hating the first half and loving the second half.

But the next time I put in the album... I found that I loved the first half just as much as the second half! Just listening to "Vapor Trail" fully redeemed the rest of the album. I listen to the Vapor Trails album regularly.

I know many who share your VT experience. For me, though, VT was the first release in many years that I immediately loved. I cannot tell you how excited I was the first time I heard Neil pounding out the opening to OLV and Alex busting in with that great riff. And Earthshine? Those opening chords just rocked me to the core. 1022.gif

I know this thread is "once hated, now love", but I must declare my immediate and everlasting love of VT wub.gif It will always be very special to me. It just is a defiant declaration from the boys that they were BACK.

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

I was going to go for the exact same one; Red Lenses.

When GUP came ou I was a nipper of 13 and I just didn't like it: the strange lyrics at the beginning (I see red, it hurst my head,) before expanding out to simile, the fact that it was all based on rhythm, neither a proper song nor a huge guitar work outl.

How wrong I was, how far ahead of me they were. It's my fave on the album for all the reasons I used to not get it!!

Disco

PS ...and I didn't get Between the Wheels either, glad my tastes changed.

Archived