Cheap Trick

ReRushed

Today I listened to the first three Cheap Trick albums. They are fantastic! Great hooks. Great musicianship. They are power pop masters!

The debut album is hard edged and full of beatlesque melodies. It's great stuff!

Is anyone on this board with me on this?

And I defy anyone to say "He's a Whore" isn't a kick ass tune!

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 2

Cheap Trick are an excellent band and I agree totally about the first three albums plus Budokan but also their last album Rockford is really superb as well, so don't forget to pick that one up too, potential Tricksters...

I saw them backing up Motley Crue in feb 1986 here in Manchester and they totally blew The Crue away, I swear Vince Neil looked embarrassed having to follow Robin Zander...

cool10.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 9 2008, 09:33 PM)
Today I listened to the first three Cheap Trick albums. They are fantastic! Great hooks. Great musicianship. They are power pop masters!

The debut album is hard edged and full of beatlesque melodies. It's great stuff!

Is anyone on this board with me on this?

And I defy anyone to say "He's a Whore" isn't a kick ass tune!

I am so on board with you my friend. In fact, right now I have, "She's Tight" playing. It was a little weird to see this thread with the song playing in the background!

yes they are trink39.gif

A tremendous live band. I have thoroughly enjoyed both times I've seen them play. Their music comes across even better live. It just lends itself to a live setting.

I think their music never got its just due. While I wouldn't say they were "great" as far as musicianship goes, their songs are "great" for what they are: good time party rock 'n roll.

1981 or 82 seen UFO/Cheap Trick, Richfield Coliseium great show from what i remember of it.... trink38.gif cool10.gif wacko.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (softfilter @ Mar 10 2008, 05:17 PM)
1981 or 82 seen  UFO/Cheap Trick, Richfield Coliseium great show from what i  remember of it.... trink38.gif  cool10.gif  wacko.gif  1022.gif

That must have been a fun show biggrin.gif saw UFO many times!! Never saw Cheap Trick, but what I have heard is pretty good smile.gif Last I heard, Rick Neilson was playing with Rik Emmett 1022.gif

I love The Flame. I liked it so much I learned the lyrics in Spanish. I also learned to play it on a Classical acoustic Yamaha. It's one of my favorite songs of all time. I love all of Cheap Trick's songs. They're a great band! smile.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Mar 9 2008, 08:42 PM)
I saw them open for Aerosmith a few years ago, really fun live band. Can't say I know much of their material though. I'll have to get some of those early albums.

I also saw them on the same tour, opening for Aerosmith, and believe it or not, Cheap Trick actually blew them away! ohmy.gif

Aerosmith really sucked that night in Biloxi, and cut the show short... it was Steven Tyler's birthday (also my birthday too!) and evidently they had started partying before the show... They ended up cutting it short, and heading to the French Quarter in New Orleans to party some more.

Now, I have seen Aerosmith in concert before, so I know how awesome they are live, but that night, Cheap Trick dominated! I was most impressed! Cowtothesky saw Aerosmith a couple of weeks later and they were absolutely phenomenal, with several extended encores too... I just caught them on a "bad" night.

I saw Cheap Trick a few months ago. It was cool, I suppose. While I was there I was in the mode but I can't say I actually OWN any of their stuff. schla03.gif

I have In Color (LP) but I don't listen regularly...great band leaving the impression that they always do music for fun. the song Dream Police is awesome. Related : I also like Robin Zander's In This Country from Stallone's movie [/i]Over The Top unsure.gif biggrin.gif

really great stuff. this is a good example of people who play for the song and are not interested in amazing people with technical prowess. Bun E. Carlos is one cool laid back cat. Looks like Charlie Watts on sedation.

Thanks Hatchetaxe&saw!! Thanks for reminding me to listen to Cheap Trick.

I've been spinning some Cheap Trick albums and they are FABULOUS!

In retrospect, they are one of the very few bands that wear a Beatles influence on their sleeves and make it pay off.

I'm listening to Cheap Trick (1997) and it's a underrated gem.

John Lennon could have written the song "Shelter".

Robin Zander is SOOOO underrated as a singer.

GREAT BAND!!!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 29 2010, 04:58 PM)
Thanks Hatchetaxe&saw!! Thanks for reminding me to listen to Cheap Trick.

I've been spinning some Cheap Trick albums and they are FABULOUS!

In retrospect, they are one of the very few bands that wear a Beatles influence on their sleeves and make it pay off.

I'm listening to Cheap Trick (1997) and it's a underrated gem.

John Lennon could have written the song "Shelter".

Robin Zander is SOOOO underrated as a singer.

GREAT BAND!!!

You're welcome!! trink39.gif

They are a wonderful band. One of the few albums of theirs I don't have is Cheap Trick, got it for 75 pence on Amazon last night!

Playing the UK in November!!

WE'RE ALL ALRIGHT!

I'm not an enormous fan of this band; all I think I know by them are the radio songs ("I Want You to Want Me" live and "Surrender" <3), but I've heard a lot of good things about their albums here. Which album is the best starting point?

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Apr 29 2010, 03:00 PM)
I'm not an enormous fan of this band; all I think I know by them are the radio songs ("I Want You to Want Me" live and "Surrender" <3), but I've heard a lot of good things about their albums here. Which album is the best starting point?

The first 3 are great.

The debut is a cool pop/punk hybrid. They had the attitude of punk rockers with the pop sensibilities of The Beatles.

Great band.